Christmas coming up, thinking about a new practice amp as I have a Gibson explorer running through a black star ht dual (mesa valve is a beast) into a Marshall valvestate 8040

Are blackstar ht 1r any good?

Thanks
Yeah, the HT-1R doesn't sound that great.

If you give us these informations as asked on the GG&A Rules and Resources Center, we'll probably be able to help you choose a better amp that suits your needs:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
It depends on the sound you want. The HT-1 has a nice rock sound if you open the volume up. But it’s also very boxy and lacking in low-end.
budget - £150

Genres - lots from metallica to pinkfloyd, love cleans but love heavy distortion to light crunch

City - Sheffield England

Home but with the option to gig (when i finish Uni*)

Current Gear - as stated
If you can squeeze a 50£ more you can get Randall RD1 Diavlo, a 1 watt combo from Thomann for 200£. Now I have not heard one myself but people on Sevenstring speak a lot of good about these new Mike Fortin designed Diavlo serie, including this 1 watt little imp.

Now, gigging is definetly out of question with these small 1w amps are out of question unless you mic it into PA system.
^ I would advise against whatever 1w amp.
No low end if you play at any more than talking volumes.

Save up more money and get a Jet City 22w combo.
True. And if you intent gigging even used solid state Peavey Bandit 60W (which costs peanuts in used market) with proper 12" speaker is infinitely more useful than 1w lunchbox amp.

Though I have not seen Jet City JCA2212 combo available for a while so hunting one down might be difficult.
Ivwas thinking I could wire the blackstar ht 1 into a 2 x 12 cab, and just buy that as a later stage... I'm after a quiet amp with the possibility to get more power out of it, rather than buying a solid state
Was going to advice a JCA 22W head and one of the V30 cabs on Thomman, can get a nice giggable rig for £270-280 there abouts. It's done fine for me at rehearsals and a couple of gigs so far.
Quote by gooooog
Ivwas thinking I could wire the blackstar ht 1 into a 2 x 12 cab, and just buy that as a later stage...
Wouldn't be a hell of an idea, the HT1 isn't a really good amp to begin with.
Quote by gooooog
I'm after a quiet amp with the possibility to get more power out of it
Then you're looking for a big amp with a volume control.

A small amp will not sound better than a big amp at low volumes only because it's small, and if it sounds better at low volumes than it sounds better at every volume (until you start distorting the signal 'cause you're turning the volume up to much).

And you couldn't really get that much volume from an HT1, let alone a convincing sound at a volume higher than speaking volume.

That is, if you consider that sound acceptable at low volumes to begin with.

Save up more money and get a nice amp TS, 'cause what you have now will either get you a small nice sounding amp with close to zero options (no master volume, single channel...) or a bad sounding amp.

Or both, which is the case of the HT1 if ya ask me.
is it better than a valvestate 4080 though? and you say that remark about an amp with a volume but my amp doesn't sound clinical at low volumes
Quote by gooooog
is it better than a valvestate 4080 though?
I would prefer an HT1 for most stuff, yeah.
Quote by gooooog
and you say that remark about an amp with a volume but my amp doesn't sound clinical at low volumes
What do you mean by clinical?

Also guitar amps sound hella fuller and less stiff when you turn up the volume to, say, very loud talking, better if screaming.
I was thinking about getting an HT-1 a while back, but I quickly changed my mind when I tried it out in the store.
It sounded like any of those small low watt amps, harsh, no punch and very thin sounding.

I didn't even like the HT-5 for the same reasons.
Quote by juliusxxrock
It sounded like any of those small low watt amps, harsh, no punch and very thin sounding.
Hey, now this is a hell of an exaggeration - you should try a fender champ 600 and a blackheart BH5

Though I can definitely agree with the rest.
Quote by Spambot_2
Hey, now this is a hell of an exaggeration - you should try a fender champ 600 and a blackheart BH5

Though I can definitely agree with the rest.

i think the orange terrors are a part of that group
Quote by gooooog
Okay so what's the best home amp with no intention of gigging and for 100 - 150

Based on what you've told us, New: Roland Cube, Peavey Vypr.

Used Jet City combo of some sort, but it depends on situation, ideally I'd go with a Vypr or a cube if it's gotta be headphones only though.
Quote by gooooog
Okay so what's the best home amp with no intention of gigging and for 100 - 150

If you just want to play at home at low volumes don’t get an amp. Get a preamp pedal that has a cabinet emulation output (like the Blackstar HT series tube pedals) and plug it right into a set of decent bookshelf speakers or studio monitors.
Quote by Spambot_2
Then get a used pod hd (the bean shaped one, may be called pod hd desktop).

That, or interface and Amp sims.
Already got a blackstar ht dist dual it ain't that good through standard speaker's
For that amount of cash your best best in a POD with some good headphones, emphasis on GOOD here (something meant to be fairly balanced with no exaggeration on bass or other frequencies, studio headphones). In that price range you aren't going to find a whole lot
So I had my mind made up to go for the Blackstar Ht1 for a les paul replica but I found this thread and most people say it's crap. I have only found positive reviews about it. So all those review sites were bribed or something? Are they on heavy drugs?

I considered the Randall one but it doesnt have reverb, no headphones out, and no line in for backing tracks.

ALso, I have a newbie doubt: The Blackstar ht 1 has emulated speaker out, can I connect that to the pc without an audio interface and record?
Quote by roger_waterssss
So I had my mind made up to go for the Blackstar Ht1 for a les paul replica but I found this thread and most people say it's crap. I have only found positive reviews about it. So all those review sites were bribed or something? Are they on heavy drugs?

I considered the Randall one but it doesnt have reverb, no headphones out, and no line in for backing tracks.

ALso, I have a newbie doubt: The Blackstar ht 1 has emulated speaker out, can I connect that to the pc without an audio interface and record?

Its not "crap" as in a turd shat out from horses ass with a sound that makes you instantly vomit, but when it comes to Blackstar HT serie in general people here see it as crap as in its overpriced for what it is. However HT-1 is actually quite cheap. For example in Thomann only one cheaper tube amp/hybrid equivalents are Bugera V5 combo and VHT AV-SP1 6W combo. Is Blackstar HT-1 really worse than those I cant say, but apparently HT1 is the only one that can do high gain rock/metal for certain.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 19, 2015,
^ yeah the special 6 certainly can't do brootz on its own. you'd need pedals with it (and even then wouldn't be the best choice).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Epi Valve Jr?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20