Hey guys!

I'm looking for an SG pickup set (I have the SG and it's not quite there) because I don't have $22,000 for a 1962 SG... Unfortunately. Anyway, I'm looking for an SG that's very versatile. My favorite SG players are Frank Zappa, Tony Iommi, Eric Clapton, Dickey Betts and Derek Trucks. I play a lot of fusion and I have a tendency to like very mid focused sounds, but as you can see from the players I like a thicker warmer tone too and a bit more of a bluesy vibe. I'm really looking for vintage style pickup, but if you really think there's something newer that can do what I'm looking for, speak! I'm here for suggestions thanks!!

Cody
Either a classically voiced HB or HB-sized P90 would be perfect, I'd think.

On the HB side, look at Tesla's OPUS, RailHammer's HyperVintage, the Seymour Duncan '59, and Golden age HBs. Also look at Vintage Vibe, The Creamery, Lollar and Rio Grande.

The HB-sized P90 side, I'd look at the RailHammer Tel90 and the BareKnuckle Mississippi Queen. Vintage Vibe and The Creamery pickups of this kind are also quite awesome.

Special mention: if you like Rio Grande's Dirty Harry, they also make a HB version of it which is literally 2 DH in a HB-sized housing. They made it so that you'd have a more consistent tone when split.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 4, 2014,
Thanks so much for the suggestions guys! I'll definitely try the P90's, as I'm not too familiar with P90's. But could you maybe suggest some humbucker options too? Most of my heroes used those! Thanks, for everything
You might also check out the Lace Alumitones. They're very, VERY clean, which will let you use other gear to shape your tone.

Part of the reason I suggested Vintage Vibe and The Creamery is that they are both custom winders. If you contact them via email with your requirements, they can tell you what they have that will suit you...and then make it for you.

I have pickups from each company in 2 different high-end guitars, and couldn't be happier with the results.
Quote by gibson52198
Thanks so much for the suggestions guys! I'll definitely try the P90's, as I'm not too familiar with P90's. But could you maybe suggest some humbucker options too? Most of my heroes used those! Thanks, for everything

Zappa and Iomi used P-90s a lot.

But any PAF style HB should work, if you want something that can get a bit dirtier, the SD Pearly Gates may be worth a look
If you had the money I'd suggest the "rare" Frank Zappa Roxy SG signature model, but as we're talking about pickups, you could get someone to replicate them. Essentially have split coil '57 humbuckers

EDIT: You have, in my opinion, excellent taste in music.
A P90 is the signature sound of the 60s SG IMO. Iommi, Zappa, Santana, Townsend and James Gurley who played with Janis all used em. If you want a HB, consider a Duncan 59 Bridge, P90 neck. A killer combo methinks.
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 7, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
A P90 is the signature sound of the 60s SG IMO. Iommi, Zappa, Santana, Townsend and that guy who played with Janis all used em. If you want a HB, consider a Duncan 59 Bridge, P90 neck. A killer combo methinks.

+3.1415
I currently have one guitar with a HB in the bridge and a HB-sized P90 in the neck, and I find it delivers a very nice array of tones.
Can you guys suggest some more Humbucker sized P90 options? I like a lot of mids and very vintage style tone with a bit more output and a lot of honesty thank you!!!
Well, besides these:
The HB-sized P90 side, I'd look at the RailHammer Tel90 and the BareKnuckle Mississippi Queen. Vintage Vibe and The Creamery pickups of this kind are also quite awesome.

RailHammer also offers the Gnarly90, BareKnuckle has the Stockholm.

Lollar HB-sized P90s are excellent.

VV ant The Creamery will make their to order.