Page 1 of 4
Alright here's the deal

A while back a thread was made asking about getting a potential EDM forum but so far there hasn't really been any feedback or conversation or anything at all really. So, in lack of our own forum, I propose that we commandeer this forum.

This isn't an official thing or anything, just me making a thread about taking over the 'Other' sub-forum.

We've got a few EDM enthusiasts, and a bunch of 'hope to be one day' EDM enthusiasts. So let's do this, I guess.

Things that would be cool:
-posting proper bangerz, don't care if it's in this thread or a "EDM Bangerz" thread or whatever

-EDM is a massive genre so it would be cool if those super fmiliar with it would be able to compile a list of the 'best of' with a tag so like if I want some chill stuff I know where to go or if I want some breakbeat Venetian Snares stuff I know where to go or if I jsut want that mad subbass I know where to go, etc.

-a bunch of people are probably interested in making their own #bangerz (myself included). I know there was talk in the pit about a sound design tutorial thread that never really kicked off, so it would be cool to have somehting like that in here. At least even a basic collection of good tutorial videos or something would be pretty nice.

-whatever else you guys want to do regarding EDM, it's whatever.

I'd love it if this was able to kick off properly. It would be great if it had enough attention so that we'd be able to 'deserve' our own EDM sub-forum or whatever. Anyway, post stuff, make threads, do things.
weyyy it's happening. will make a grime thread and maybe a 140 thread. makes more sense to have individual ones since it's such a big thing
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Is it still cool to like trance

Yup, I'm going to a festival this weekend and Aly & Fila, RAM, Orjan Nilsen, Above & Beyond, Arctic Moon, Cosmic Gate, Dash Berlin, and Indecent Noise are all playing
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Is it still cool to like trance

no and caesar should feel bad
Quote by caeser1156
Yup, I'm going to a festival this weekend and Aly & Fila, RAM, Orjan Nilsen, Above & Beyond, Arctic Moon, Cosmic Gate, Dash Berlin, and Indecent Noise are all playing

I tried to get tickets to A&B in London next year but they sold out before i could get some #sadtimes
Quote by willT08
no and caesar should feel bad

I'm American, I already feel bad.

If it ups my credibility at all I'm gonna be kicking it at the tech house stage on the second day. Gonna see Claude VonStroke, Hunter/Game, Green Velvet, and some others.
Quote by steve_muse
Nice

I enjoy this guy, I have this shit in vinyl. does cool messy reinterpretations of techno and stuff

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jWuN9zExW-w

I just realised, I wonder if he's referring to RIMs lololo

haha was just about to post this guy! RIP was one of my favourite releases in years.
ghettoville is a really cool album

so i have absolutely no idea what the edm subgenres are and shit and don't care at all but cool
actually how do i learn about this stuff in general because i really don't understand. like i'm very much an album person and most of edm seems to not come in that form from what i know and i guess i don't know how to find and consume it and especially classify it. again i'm really not concerned about that since there's no specific types i dislike in general afaik but yeah i really don't get finding new ppl and stuff

also there should be a creating edm or original edm thread with advice on starting out
Last edited by Bob_Sacamano at Nov 4, 2014,
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
actually how do i learn about this stuff in general because i really don't understand. like i'm very much an album person and most of edm seems to not come in that form from what i know and i guess i don't know how to find and consume it and especially classify it. again i'm really not concerned about that since there's no specific types i dislike in general afaik but yeah i really don't get finding new ppl and stuff

also there should be a creating edm or original edm thread with advice on starting out

I have this concern too. I love the album form, but I'm willing to try new ways
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

that's what this whole thing is really about, creating a place to share stuff and thoughts on it and that

Quote by Bob_Sacamano

yeah this is part of the plan, just wanna kick stuff off a bit first
was planning for sound design and basically anything to do with manipulating sounds creatively to be part of the forum
There are loads of classic Techno, House, Dubstep, DnB albums. Although EDM is track driven the very best producers release stellar albums.

Wikipedia is great for the history/characteristics of EDM genres. The articles on House and Techno are good starters.
Last edited by Duffman123 at Nov 4, 2014,
Quote by Duffman123
There are loads of classic Techno, House, Dubstep, DnB albums. Although EDM is track driven the very best producers release stellar albums.

Wikipedia is great for the history/characteristics of EDM genres. The articles on House and Techno are good starters.

I look forward to an album compilation then.

Also, does this include stuff like sampling artists making stuff that's not really in any of the edm genres like DJ Shadow and fly lo and stuff?
Includes whatever you like
It's an electronic forum not strictly an EDM forum
not strictly anything really
I feel like I am witnessing the birth of a new, exciting nation. Like independence from metal
The only problem with getting properly into EDM is that it makes you want to put your guitar down and completely stop listening to guitar-driven music.

Well that's what happened to me anyway a few years ago.
I dunno, I can't completely write off guitar music cos there's still interesting things being done with that set up like Swans and QOTSA.

and the new fly lo has some really cool guitar moments

But the reign of guitar and its standard type of music is certainly over
Last edited by steve_muse at Nov 4, 2014,
I'm back to thinking guitar music is great again (Savages are bloody brilliant) but when I started getting into EDM I got obsessed and had no time for other genres
Quote by Duffman123
Trip-Hop is the best. To exclude it would a crime.

This crime certainly won't be committed here
You can make this thread or I'll do it once my other ones have existed a bit cos I don't want loads of empty threads on my conscience

Quote by steve_muse
I feel like I am witnessing the birth of a new, exciting nation. Like independence from metal

that's a dictatorship I don't wanna be a part of
I did the same thing. I play guitar all the time now and listen to quite a lot of guitar driven music still. But I definitely did drop my guitar for quite a while. I'd still say I probably listen to a bit more electronic music than I do anything guitar driven, but I do love both still.
I actually stopped listening to EDM completely after discovering Cohen and Dylan two years ago so a community here with updated threads would definitely get me back on track.

I used to be so obsessed I would buy expensive t-shirts with the name of underground dubstep labels on them

Quote by captainsnazz
This crime certainly won't be committed here
You can make this thread or I'll do it once my other ones have existed a bit cos I don't want loads of empty threads on my conscience

We actually have a trip-hop thread knocking around and a once very popular dubstep thread lost in the shadows.
Last edited by Duffman123 at Nov 4, 2014,
I've barely played guitar for like 3 years now, except a bit of fingerstyle on my classical here and there. And I still use an actual bass guitar to thicken up bass sounds a bit sometimes.
Quote by Duffman123
The only problem with getting properly into EDM is that it makes you want to put your guitar down and completely stop listening to guitar-driven music.

Well that's what happened to me anyway a few years ago.

really? i listen to edm almost everyday but still get in some guitar stuff. i never stopped playing guitar everyday
Quote by deadsmileyface
really? i listen to edm almost everyday but still get in some guitar stuff. i never stopped playing guitar everyday

The bug bit me. I used to pretty much obsessively go on Resident Advisor, Fact Mag, Dubstepforum, soundcloud, XLR8R looking for new tracks/albums/mixes everyday.
I play me guitar most days too, just improvising random riffs and stuff. I'd like to improve on me keys more tho
I'm currently trying to learn country guitar like Doc Watson, Chet Atkins, Scotty Moore.

I usually give up and go back to playing punk though
Quote by Duffman123
The bug bit me. I used to pretty much obsessively go on Resident Advisor, Fact Mag, Dubstepforum, soundcloud, XLR8R looking for new tracks/albums/mixes everyday.

aye i feel ya

i usually hit up soundcloud for the good stuff everyday
Page 1 of 4