Poll: Which witch is which?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which witch is which?
Pic 1 (curves)
10 50%
Pic 2 (tangential)
2 10%
TS is a knob, why can't he physics?
8 40%
Voters: 20.
We would obey the law of inertia, right, and fly off into space/against something secured to the Earth?

*Let me preface this by saying this is not for homework or anything that would compromise academic integrity, if the Pit is into that sort of thing.*

I've been told this by my Astronomy teacher, and that we'd fly off in the first pic's orientation, like a curve but relative to the Earth's rotation.

However my math teacher told me that stopping a circle at any speed would always result in a straight line/tangential line to the circle, like below.

So which one (if either) is correct?
The first cuz teh earth might still have gravity.

not sure, my schoolwork doesn't make me do physics
the first one. gravity does not stop because the earth stops spinning mate.

the second one is correct if you may safely ignore gravity or other unrepresented forces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0-GxoJ_Pcg

The first one would be correct because of the earth's gravity, but if the objects that are still spinning have a small enough mass, they will eventually escape the earth's surface and fly off into space.

They still won't fly off the earth at a perfect tangent though. THe second one only applies if there is no gravity or other outside forces.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 4, 2014,
Quote by Eastwinn

the second one is correct if you may safely ignore gravity or other unrepresented forces.

This.

Assuming the Earth is still in orbit also causes some deviation from perfect tangential behavior.
No no you fools are all wrong, the Earth would just sink into space wherever it is heaviest. Soo stupid omg.
Quote by Eastwinn

So, would the curve slowly get steeper as the object gets farther from Earth? Or would it stay with the same curve until it passes some threshold where it goes "relatively" straight?
Quote by Skullivan
So, would the curve slowly get steeper as the object gets farther from Earth? Or would it stay with the same curve until it passes some threshold where it goes "relatively" straight?

The curve would increase in radius as objects travel away from earth, as gravity has less of an influence on the objects.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 4, 2014,
Quote by sonic_hippy
Skullivan try using google for your home work

I would e-mail my Astro teacher but he says not to talk to him on the weekends. I think he sells crack or something.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The curve would increase in radius as objects travel away from earth, as gravity has less of an influence on the objects.

Okay, thanks.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

unless it falls back to earth, of course
what if the world doesnt spin on its own and its actually our movement that spins it around?? ? #jrcsgtpeppering
Quote by MinterMan22
#jrcsgtpeppering

ugh guys, is this what the pit has come to? Making stupid threads about physics questions and what would happen if the earth stopped spinning? No wonder the pit is dying, bring back the drug thread and stop talking about everything I don't want to talk about and cater to all of my needs and wants guys, it's so much more important and valid, but you guys don't even listen to Between the Buried and Me so I guess that's what I should expect from you guys
gravity is a government construct created to keep us from doing really well in basketball
Quote by Skullivan
We would obey the law of inertia, right, and fly off into space/against something secured to the Earth?

*Let me preface this by saying this is not for homework or anything that would compromise academic integrity, if the Pit is into that sort of thing.*

So which one (if either) is correct?

Integrity?
The Pit?
Wut?
Quote by Baby Joel
gravity is a government construct created to keep us from doing really well in basketball
[insert fake moon landing gravity conspiracy here]
If the Earth stopped spinning, if you were so drunk you were already holding onto the floor so as not to fall off, you'd be fine.
Quote by Eastwinn

You never safely ignore gravity.
Quote by Jehannum
You never safely ignore gravity.

If you can see gravity, gravity can see you. And if you can't see gravity, then you're a normal person, I guess, because it's not really a visible thing.
Yesterday I accidentally dropped a laptop onto my eyeball, corner first. I guess that's seeing gravity in a way.

BTW: Don't do this at home, kids.
maths isn't a science and so don't get trolled about science stuff from a maths teacher okay?
If the earth stops spinning, that probably means Superman is not flying fast enough to let it spin backwards.