I'm starting to think that having an ego feeling the need to be better than every other guitarist can be an impedement to learning how to play guitar. Even though you want to play lead guitar techniques, rhythm guitar techniques are important too for learning pick holding, holding pick close to strings, wrist movement, relaxed picking arm, chugging, playing in time, gallop, accenting some notes louder than others, and palm muting to better learn the more advanced lead guitar techniques.

You feel the need to be better to prove your worth to everyone who puts you down because no one likes you and you have no talent in sports so that's why your playing guitar to make you feel better than inferior people, but that's not the right thing to do. I guess the right thing to do is to just accept low self esteem and move on and pretend it doesn't exist so then you won't have low self esteem if you pretend it doesn't exist because your too busy playing guitar to be bothered by thinking about having to be better.
The answer is to simply stop giving a shit. Play because you love it, not because you have something to prove. That can involve wanting to improve yourself, but should be internally focused not externally, i.e. don't do it to be better than others, do it for yourself.
As a hobbyist, it wouldn't really matter, but if you play music for a living you should focus on being as great as you can be.
Quote by Br0c00ler
As a hobbyist, it wouldn't really matter, but if you play music for a living you should focus on being as great as you can be.

Wise advice, indeed.

If you settle for less, someone else, will get your breaks.