Welcome to the Underground

House is one of the earliest forms of dance music. Even today it is still perhaps the most popular genre with a plethora of sub genres of its own. Everyone familiar with EDM has heard big room and electro house songs from the likes of Avicii, Swedish House Mafia, Martin Garrix, Zedd, Calvin Harris, and many more. With the popularity and mainstream appeal this music has it's sometimes very easy to overlook amount of house that's still around in the underground scene today.

Progressive House

Progressive house has come to have a bit of a dirty name in underground circles due to the confusion it has with Big Room house. Progressive house has been around since the 90s with artists like Sasha and John Digweed supporting it. Its name, like progressive rock, derives from pushing the boundaries of the music it evolved from. Prog is a very diverse sub genre that ranges from melodic, almost trance sounding house to dark, techno influences. Some characteristics of the genre are long songs usually 6 minutes or more in length that tend to slowly build up over time and tend to reach a climax pretty late into the track. Plucks, arpeggiators, and liberal amounts of reverb are commonly found in Prog tracks.

Notable Artists

Deadmau5 (Specifically around 2007-2010)

Eric Prydz / Pryda

Jeremy Olander

Dinka

Shingo Nakamura, Jaytech, PROFF, Nigel Good, Fehrplay, Eekkoo, Guy J, Sasha, John Digweed, Adam K & Soha, EDX

Tech House

Tech House is what happens when you combine the cold, inorganic qualities of techno with the groovy basslines and melodies found in house. Like Prog House, Tech House has a wide variety of sounds ranging from upbeat, high energy techno influenced songs to slower, groovier deep house influenced tracks. Common elements are inorganic sounding drums, distorted vocals, large focus on basslines, and large amounts of reverb.

Notable Artists

Claude VonStroke

Maceo Plex

UMEK

Hot Since 82

Mark Knight, Pleasurekraft, Justin Martin, J. Phlip, Maya Jane Coles, Tube & Berger, Julio Bashmore, Tiga

Deep House

Deep House is a bit of a controversial genre lately. There’s a lot of internal conflict about what constitutes as Deep House and what doesn’t. Depending on who you ask you’ll get all sorts of answers, most are fairly uninformed. I’ll tackle this one in as purist of a way as I can, if there are any Deep House experts here on UG, feel free to correct me. Deep House is also sometimes known as Soulful House because it has a lot of jazz and lounge influences. Other common elements are low bpm and prominent basslines

Notable Artists

Mr. Fingers

Miguel Migs

Kaskade (his very old stuff ~2002)

Huxley, Detroit Swindle, Caribou,

Deep-Tech

Deep Tech is basically the result of the turmoil I was talking about earlier with Deep House. This is basically the new wave of deep house that has been picking up steam in the underground for the past few years. It combines elements of Deep House, mainly the basslines and detuned chords, with the more inorganic sounds of Tech House

Notable Artists

Route 94

Finnebassen

Claptone

Dusky

MK, Breach, NiCe7, Henry Krinkle, Amine Edge & Dance, Leftwing & Kody, Zhu, Bicep

Future / Shallow House

This is where you find the newest trend of pseudo-deep house producers who are getting mainstream recognition. This sub genre is basically what happens when you take Deep-Tech and throw in some mainstream appeal with buildups, drops, and over the top basslines. This gets called Deep House a lot, but there really isn’t anything deep about it. That’s not to say this genre is bad though.

Notable Artists

Oliver Heldens

Tchami

Gorgon City

Shiba San, Friend Within, Disclosure, Zinc, Amtrac, Duke Dumont, Jonas Rathsman
Last edited by caeser1156 at Nov 4, 2014,
Niiice OP I think all OPs for whatever genre should give little descriptions and stuff
I just figured house has the biggest stigma against it so I needed to do something enticing to get people to notice.
Quote by steve_muse
Niiice OP I think all OPs for whatever genre should give little descriptions and stuff

I agree everyone should do this

get with it you other thread starters come on
Great OP man.

Last time I was into House I was spinning:

Sepalcure - Sepalcure
Andy Stott - Luxury Problems
John Talabot - fIN

What are some big releases since then?
machinedrum is the coolest producer out there. But god does he look like he lives in his mum's basement.

Quote by Duffman123
What are some big releases since then?

Full album wise all I can think of off the top of my head is that Basement Jaxx put out a full album not too long ago and Jamie Jones put out a poppier sounding album with Hot Natured that was pretty good.
Started listening to the tech house vids. My girlfriend's brother's boyfriend mentioned this a while ago so now I can impress him
machinedrum's appearance is a constant source of amusement for me
got dem serial killer vibes going on