Hi, guys. My name is Anthony. This is my first UG post, but I've been lurking for many months now.

I am a 22 year old Japanese classically trained musician. I was only classically trained in piano since I was 6 until I was 12. I continued playing piano and picked up drumming as well. A couple years later, I also picked up the guitar. A Flying V electric. Four years later, I also picked up the Bass. All my classical knowledge from piano was also transposed to the other 3 instruments. I still continue to play these every for 3 hours everyday or so.

I am also an avid metalhead, ever since seeing Children of Bodom live when I was A kid.

However, this is where I want fresh eyes on my situation, I have found the music I play to be boring now. I used to be able to listen to one metal song on loop for 400 repetitions, it doesn't excite me anymore.

Dream Theater is no longer difficult. Megadeth is no longer difficult. Death is no longer difficult.

The compositions I also make sound like shit. I'm trying to recreate certain metal genres but anything I do is predictable and boring.

How can I get out of this rut? Is it something musical? Physical or an internal issue? I gave some background information so that it can be a reference point for certain analytical UG readers to my problem.

Thank you for letting me vent.
don't try to recreate anything, do what you feel like, write something using your knowledge that is simple and easy, it'll sound better
Wanting to recreate my own music of certain genre is what I want to do. I'm not trying to force myself. Unfortunately, my composition aren't to the highest degree of quality musically.
Last edited by Gary120a21 at Nov 5, 2014,
Quote by Gary120a21

However, this is where I want fresh eyes on my situation, I have found the music I play to be boring now. I used to be able to listen to one metal song on loop for 400 repetitions, it doesn't excite me anymore.

Dream Theater is no longer difficult. Megadeth is no longer difficult. Death is no longer difficult.

The compositions I also make sound like shit. I'm trying to recreate certain metal genres but anything I do is predictable and boring.

How can I get out of this rut?

You have two separate problems here, but I think the solution is the same for both:

You should try this :

a) step up your musical intake and explore musicians of a higher caliber. If you're bored with classical and metal, I think you should get into jazz. More specifically, I would suggest Brad Meldhau ( pianist) and Kurt Rosenwinkel ( guitarist). A good starting point with Brad Meldhau is the album "Day is Done". A good starting point with Rosenwinkel is the album " the next step". These guys are on a different plane musically than pretty much anything in the metal world and you will find it way more challenging and (maybe) more interesting. Meldhau has a classical background so he will be an interesting person for you to listen to. Both Meldhau and Rosenwinkel are considered at the top tier of jazz , if not the best, around today.

b) step down your musical intake: start playing some funk and blues - it's simpler harmonically, but it's a different world from a groove standpoint. Metal is pretty rigid and very "grid based" whereas funk and blues are more intricate from a groove and articulation standpoint. If you're coming from a classical and metal backround, chances are that you have no idea how to groove and swing - get into that. It may be invigorating for you.

c) open tune your guitar - DADGAD - it will get you out of playing the same patterns and should give you a bit of a creative boost. the album I recommended above from Kurt Rosenwinkel is amazing because he used some alternate tunings that were basically gibberrish to take his mindset out of playing patterns he already knew.

Hopefully some of that will spark your creative and musical interests.
I'll put those ideas in account, Reverb66. Especially the odd tunings.

I did try some of the funk and jazz pieces you showed me. They are great on their own, but it does not seem to click with my personality.

Is there anything else musically you can suggest? My current mentality is trying to recreate genres. I think of it similar to how you would see a math equation.

If New Wave of British Heavy Metal has properties 1,2,4

And Celtic Metal had properties 1,5,7,8 and so forth.

My aim is to recreate genres, keeping the core properties the same musically, keeping them in isolation but breathing them a fresh life but keeping the same properties.

Also, my personal aim to recreate something like Holy Wars or Tornado of Souls. Repeatedly. I'm just failing. Something elegant but angry.

Do you have a suggestions for the current problem above? Thanks for the suggestions.

I did try some of the funk and jazz pieces you showed me. They are great on their own, but it does not seem to click with my personality.

Is there anything else musically you can suggest? My current mentality is trying to recreate genres. I think of it similar to how you would see a math equation.

My aim is to recreate genres, keeping the core properties the same musically, keeping them in isolation but breathing them a fresh life but keeping the same properties.

Also, my personal aim to recreate something like Holy Wars or Tornado of Souls. Repeatedly. I'm just failing. Something elegant but angry.

Do you have a suggestions for the current problem above? Thanks for the suggestions.
Quote by Gary120a21

I know how you feel it's like you lost the passion you once had for your favorite musical genre. The best way to get out of a rut is to learn a new style of music maybe get into some blues or, folk finger style? You may not like it at first because it's so different from what you play, but if you keep an open mind you might just end up enjoying it. The best guitarist usually aren't the most technical they excel in versatility.