So im starting college within a year. The only mode of transportation I have is my motorcycle and im going to need to take my Guitar to and from school. I know im going to have to get a softcase, sling it on my back, and hope for the best but my guitar is my child. I've had a softcase before and it was shit. The spots where the sling and handle were sewn on came undone or frayed and I dont trust them.

Does anyone have any advice on a good/ sturdy softcase or of a way to transport my guitar to and from school without me worrying.

Thanks.
Any more expensive softcase wont just fall appart like some cheap ones do. But yeh, you probably need something at least semi rigid. Even then its a good idea not to crash.
I've had a somewhat cheap, soft, padded Stagg gigbag for over 6 years now (one of these).
I use it all the time when I ride my motorcycle, and never had a problem.

You just have to adjust the straps correctly so it doesn't dance around on your back, and you have to get used to the fact that the guitar neck will push your head a bit forward -- the base of the guitar will be supported by the bike's seat, and it will tilt the guitar forward, putting pressure on your helmet. But I got used to it very quickly.
Last edited by Linkerman at Nov 5, 2014,
Quote by Blckspawn
So im starting college within a year. The only mode of transportation I have is my motorcycle and im going to need to take my Guitar to and from school. I know im going to have to get a softcase, sling it on my back, and hope for the best but my guitar is my child. I've had a softcase before and it was shit. The spots where the sling and handle were sewn on came undone or frayed and I dont trust them.

Does anyone have any advice on a good/ sturdy softcase or of a way to transport my guitar to and from school without me worrying.

Thanks.

Get cheap guitar and leave it at school. Leave nice guitar at home.

Or vice versa.
Don't do wheelies :P

Do you still ride when it's cold? I normally put my bike away around thanksgiving (here in WI) or do you live in a warm area?
Quote by Tremolo Bum
Don't do wheelies :P

Do you still ride when it's cold? I normally put my bike away around thanksgiving (here in WI) or do you live in a warm area?

I live in California.
Quote by Linkerman
I've had a somewhat cheap, soft, padded Stagg gigbag for over 6 years now (one of these).
I use it all the time when I ride my motorcycle, and never had a problem.

You just have to adjust the straps correctly so it doesn't dance around on your back, and you have to get used to the fact that the guitar neck will push your head a bit forward -- the base of the guitar will be supported by the bike's seat, and it will tilt the guitar forward, putting pressure on your helmet. But I got used to it very quickly.

That gives me hope that nothing bad will happen.
I'm guessing you want to do this as cheaply as possible. My thing with bags is that the part that wears out first are the attachment points for things like shoulder straps.

Check out the bags from Rondo Music (not the ones that come with the beginner guitars, the $24.95 ones down toward the bottom of the page made by CNB). They're a very decent bag for bargain money, and you can afford to replace it often.

Another "great bag for the bucks" is from Carvin, $120: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/SC10N.

In the "really good bag" and "you get what you pay for" category is the Mono M80. $200-ish on Amazon, eBay.

The Monos are great bags, but you're approaching the point where you want to protect the bag itself (someone gave me a gorgeous *leather* gig bag, and you just don't even want to let it out of the house; sometimes its worth more than the guitar that would be in it <G>.