Hey guys, I have a Peavy 6505+ head,5150 Cab, 6 string with EMG active pickups.

I want a studio quality sounding tone for stuff like I can't explain. I'm not sure how to word it.

I have a Digitech RP355 Multi-effect that I never use. mainly because it's extremely complex.. Does anyone else have this multi-effect? perhaps you could share some of your settings via e-mail or something?

If that Multi-effect sucks, How would the Line6 POD HD500 preform with my setup?
Which Multi-effect do you guys love/use? I want one that is godly, and the damn instruction manual actually explains things. The manual for that Digitech I have is ridiculous. it's like a Chinese person google translated every word in the damn thing. and it only explains the stuff that even Captain Obvious wouldn't point out.
I didn't find the Digitech stuff to be that complex, if you have a hard tome with that then the HD will be no better. What do you not like about your tone currently?
Quote by TheStig1214
You should be able to do what you want with the 6505. Work with the gear you have before going out and buying something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYtXBUS_kwY

I'm aiming for a Within The Ruins type tone. I am in Drop G#. EMG pickups LOL..

I've never been taught how to deal with tonage. So, I have it on Crunch channel, with Resonation,Presence,Bass,Mid,High all maxed LOL.

I need you guys to watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGg4yI0TOsM

At 2:16 is when the tone I want starts. But more precise/specifically. listen very closely to approx 2:22. that one part that has a djenty sound, its the 6th string and its very very pronounced and attacked. I have a heavy picking hand and cant get that sound. I'm aware that this guy is using an AXE FX II and all sorts of other crazy shit ontop of being edited in the studio. but I should still be able to get pretty damned close.

What should I set my settings to for this? because if you just listen to the rest of the song, all his notes are...I dont even know what to say really, pronounced? have alot of emphesis? they are loud, they have a sort of quacking noise to them. like, an actual duck noise. LOL!!! idk i'm stupid. plz help
^ Don't max your EQ. Start with everything at 12 o'clock position. Then start tweaking. Figure out what the different knobs do. Start with guitar plugged straight to the amp. That sound doesn't really require any of the effects (so no modulation effects or delay or anything like that - other than maybe a boost) from your multi FX pedal.

You may want to use less gain. Too much gain just makes you sound muddy and noisy. People usually like boosting the amp. So you may want to use an OD pedal like Tube Screamer and turn the gain of the pedal all the way down and crank up the pedal's volume.
What you're hearing in that song you linked that you like the tone of around 2:16 is a lot of mids. You can get there with your 6505+ and cab. You probably want the gain around 4 out of 10, with low bass settings around 3 to 5 out of 10 should give you a good start but adjust that to your cabinet.

You want the mids fairly high. Putting them at least 75% of the way to 10 is going to be a good start but you can "over-honk" your tone, so dial back if so. For the treble I'd advise you to put it in the middle at 5. If that's too trebly and harsh to your ears (don't put your ear right infront of the speaker because not everyone stands there) then dial it down. Otherwise bring the treble up until it gets too harsh, then back it off about 10-15%.

These are all ROUGH estimates of what you might want. They may sound terrible, it will depend on your room, and cabinet. Do remember that me telling you "3 to 5 out of 10" isn't fullproof. There's no amp design or sound law that means that 5 out of 10 is going to be the same on every amp.

On top of this, it's highly recommendable to get yourself a tubescreamer style pedal. Be this an Ibanez TS-9, Maxon OD808 or a Digitech Bad Monkey, they're going to tighten your tone up. This is because they have a natural bass roll off on the low frequencies and high frequencies. This makes your mids pop out more. To dial one in, you literally turn the volume all the way up, gain all the way down, tone knob to taste, stick it between your amp and guitar, and finally reduce the gain on your amp. Pushing more signal into the amp means that it distorts earlier so you can roll the gain off. A/B the pedal being on and off to get your previous gain and gain with pedal so that they're about the same.

Hope this helps, could go on forever for this and it's a lot easier to do in person, just learn to trust your own instincts.
Thing that people forget also is what you hear on a track usually has less gain than what you think AND it's been recorded, multitracked, post-processed and may have had EQing done to it, as-well as fitting in a band mix. Which usually makes things sound different also.