i have to order some, tubes. i have a lot of spare tubes but i am not totally sure what i have or how much life is left. i have several jj 12ax7. i will go with a JJ rectifier tube, but what for pre and power? 6V6GT for power and 5Y3GT.

http://turretboards.com/layouts_schematics/fender/layouts/champ_5f1_layout.gif

here is a layout. i am willing to go NOS for the 12AX7, probably a JJ for the rectifier, and what for the power tube?

what is the "GT" mean?

all parts on the way should come in three days hopefully before the weekend.
i called doug's tubes and i asked their opinion as well as tubedepot. i went with tung sol preamp and power and JJ rectifier and a few others. $106. ugh.
what type of tone are you after? I didn't really like the tungsol 6v6 i tried, it was very dark and creamy (though the amp i tried it in, a vht special 6, is already darkish so that just made it worse... it did smooth out the overdrive, though). I preferred the JJ 6V6, though from what I hear in terms of tone (and maybe even construction?) it's sort of halfway to a 6L6.

i liked the tungsol preamp tubes I've tried (again, in champ-style circuits).
Quote by Dave_Mc
what type of tone are you after? I didn't really like the tungsol 6v6 i tried, it was very dark and creamy (though the amp i tried it in, a vht special 6, is already darkish so that just made it worse... it did smooth out the overdrive, though). I preferred the JJ 6V6, though from what I hear in terms of tone (and maybe even construction?) it's sort of halfway to a 6L6.

i liked the tungsol preamp tubes I've tried (again, in champ-style circuits).

most of the use of the amp will be pushed, so the smoothing OD really sounds good.