I'm building my first pedal board, and instead of having 4 adapters for each pedal, I want to daisy chain them together. But since I know relatively little about voltage, ohms, etc., I need some help. I don't want to fry my pedals, adapters, or the daisy chain.

I've been told that "standard 9 volt adapters" and such are fine to use. However, a friend of mine used some of my adapters from two of my pedals for two of his pedals and fried both his pedals and the adapters. So I'm terrified.

Let me give you the specs of the adapters and pedals I have, listed in my signature as well. Keep in mind I have minimal knowledge.

The daisy chain is of the brand GATOR, Input: 100-240v AC, 47-63hz 0.35A. Output: 9V - 1700 mA. I've been using just the adapter minus the chain for my micro POG.

The adapter for the RP-155 lists: Input: 120v ~ 60Hz 18W. Output 1: 9v ~ 1.3A at the adapter tip. There is another output: at 3v ~ .1A at a side socket, but I don't use it. The input on the pedal itself lists 9VAC 1.3A.

For the Micro POG, musician's friend lists the pedal for coming with a "96DC-200BI power supply". EHX says "Do not use any other AC adapters. Using other AC adapters, even those made by Electro-Harmonix, could cause harm to the unit, the adapter or you" but also says "The Micro POG accepts Boss style AC Adapters," and calls the jack a "9V Power Jack." It hasn't fried the daisy chain adapter or itself so I unno.

For the RAT, the power input jack just says +9V, and I've been using a 9V battery for its operation. The online manual says this: "This power supply must be a negative-ground DC power source. It should be well filtered to prevent excessive hum and should not exceed +120VDC. The current requirements are extremely low (about 5 mA is more then enough). A 9-volt 50 mA calculator-type power supply found at many electronic stores should be adequate."

I am also gaining a new pedal, The Analogizer (yes I bought it, waah) which is powered by: "The ANALOGIZER comes supplied with a 9 Volt battery. The ANALOGIZER can also be powered from a 9VDC AC Adapter capable of delivering at least 20mA. The power supply must have a barrel connector with a center negative plug. The optional 9V power supply from Electro-Harmonix is 9.6DC-200BI (same as used by Boss® & Ibanez®."

With the bit of information I've gathered, if the output on the pedal is 9V (9VAC?) or powered by a 9V battery, I can use a 9V output chain as well. But I'm not sure. I don't want to fry these 4 pedals. I'll also have to get tip adapters for the RP-155 and the RAT.

Thanks so much for your help.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 5, 2014,
The RP uses an AC supply. You can't daisy chain it, and if that power supply is the one your friend used, then no wonder it blew his pedal.

The rest use DC and should be fine daisy chained together.
The output from the power supply is 9VDC, not AC.

Anyway, better yet, sell everything and get a new and good sounding amp.

You can daisy chain your pedals with the gator, you'll be fine, though you need a different adapter for the digitech 'cause that runs off AC instead of DC.
The RP155 adapter has an output of 9VAC. So don't combine it with anything else.

The RAT adapter is 9VDC center positive. Do not combine it with anything else.
Quote by fly135
The RP155 adapter has an output of 9VAC. So don't combine it with anything else.

"This power supply must be a negative-ground DC power source." Did you mean negative or is this a different thing? I'd rather not use a battery for it, so if I need to keep it separate could you point me in the way of an adapter for it? I think ProCo makes their own: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Co-Battery-Eliminator-Supply/dp/B0002GZLYM

So I can chain the Analogizer and the micro-POG, the RP-155 needs to use its regular adapter, and the RAT...? The Gator adapter does say the input is AC. Gah, So confused!

Quote by Spambot_2
Anyway, better yet, sell everything and get a new and good sounding amp.

:p
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 5, 2014,
Quote by fly135

Oh yea, forgot about that. Weird 3.5mm connector too, IIRC.

Quote by Will Lane
"This power supply must be a negative-ground DC power source." Did you mean negative or is this a different thing? I'd rather not use a battery for it, so if I need to keep it separate could you point me in the way of an adapter for it? I think ProCo makes their own: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Co-Battery-Eliminator-Supply/dp/B0002GZLYM

So I can chain the Analogizer and the micro-POG, the RP-155 needs to use its regular adapter, and the RAT...? The Gator adapter does say the input is AC. Gah, So confused!

The center of the adapter just needs to carry the positive rail. The official power supply should work just fine.
Quote by Will Lane

The standard Boss style adapter, which is the most common pedal supply is positive ground. That is center pin negative. The RAT is negative ground or center pin positive. If you daisy chain a RAT with other pedals (using a plug convertor) then you will short the power supply because the connecting signal cables also daisy chain the ground between pedals. You will be shorting a negative ground to a positive ground. The RAT needs it's own supply and can only be chained with other center pin positive pedals, which are fairly rare.

All adapters (wall warts) are AC input. The input is referring to connecting to the electrical outlet in your house.
Last edited by fly135 at Nov 6, 2014,
Okay, I think I know what I'm going to do. Also, I now know a bit more about current and stuff...

1. Electrical currents are annoying to work around.
2. AC/DC currents can fry your crap.
3. I'm buying the adapter for the RAT, using the normal adapter for the RP-155, and I will daisy chain the micro POG to the Analogizer, if there isn't any noise. Since there would be 4 extra plugs, if there is noise, I'll just use the chain adapter for the micro POG like I've been doing and run the Analogizer on battery.
4. I'm slapping all those adapters to a power strip which I'll secure to my board.

Lastly, since the input on the RP-155 is 9VAC, 1.3a, does that mean it has a DC converter inside of the pedal?

And thank you chaps/chapettes so much for you help c:
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 6, 2014,
Quote by mmolteratx
Boss style is also negative ground. The positive rail is just carried on the sleeve.
The chassis of the Boss style pedal is positive. IMO that is the closest definition of positive ground that one can make. Since the DC power is actually isolated from true AC power distribution ground, there is no real ground.

On the flip side you could say that since the pedals may ultimately be plugged into a amp that has a negative ground chassis you could argue it has a negative ground. The bottom line is that "ground" is not really all that relevant. Just that the chassis is connected to the sleeve of the power supply, so you don't want to mix.

OTOH, AC power doesn't have a negative, so...
Last edited by fly135 at Nov 6, 2014,
Quote by Will Lane
Okay, I think I know what I'm going to do. Also, I now know a bit more about current and stuff...

1. Electrical currents are annoying to work around.
2. AC/DC currents can fry your crap.
3. I'm buying the adapter for the RAT, using the normal adapter for the RP-155, and I will daisy chain the micro POG to the Analogizer, if there isn't any noise. Since there would be 4 extra plugs, if there is noise, I'll just use the chain adapter for the micro POG like I've been doing and run the Analogizer on battery.
4. I'm slapping all those adapters to a power strip which I'll secure to my board.

Lastly, since the input on the RP-155 is 9VAC, 1.3a, does that mean it has a DC converter inside of the pedal?

And thank you chaps/chapettes so much for you help c:
There is a trick where you can insert just a power plug into a battery powered pedal to shut it off and not drain the battery when not in use.

WRT the RP155 the voltage is converted from 120VAC to 9VAC. No need for a DC converter. A transformer can be used to convert AC voltages.
Some people also power the pedals via the battery terminal, it is a standard 9v battery connector and there are pedalboard power plug extensions that are sold to convert to that. In the case of the Rat, it should work that way so you won't need other power supply.
There are also power distribution boxes like the one Voodoo labs makes which lets you flip polarities.
Quote by diabolical
Some people also power the pedals via the battery terminal, it is a standard 9v battery connector and there are pedalboard power plug extensions that are sold to convert to that. In the case of the Rat, it should work that way so you won't need other power supply.
There are also power distribution boxes like the one Voodoo labs makes which lets you flip polarities.
Flipping polarity is only half the equation. You also need isolated outputs, which I think the Voodoo probably has.

I would not use a battery connector adapter unless you measure the resistance between battery negative and the chassis (probe the input or output jack to negative battery connector) and make sure it's an "open". My bet is that it will be a short. If so then you will short your power supply in a daisy chain with other pedals.
yup i have no clue what's going on

no one has opposed my last post's plan so i'll stick with that