Just read the review in Guitar Player on this thing. It'll clock at around $800.
Have they lost their minds?
Solid state modeling amp with relatively low wattage, at about twice or 30% the price of a similar tube amp?
Does it look like the Peavey Classic 30 or what???
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/images/products/gallery/blues_cube_stage_front_gal.jpg

Last edited by diabolical at Nov 5, 2014,
I wonder who is the marketing genius behind this one.

Probably wonderboy had the idea: Lets repackage a middle of the road, cheapish tube amp by a competitor that is very popular and sold well as Roland, stick the whole thing with modeling/ss class D power amp, a decent speaker, slap in a USB interface and wait for the money to rain. Oh yeah, and make as many tube-licious refferences as we can but make sure you also mention that solid state is superior because of the rigors of the road

At least they're trying...who knows, the "Tube Logic" might be newspeak for their modeling technology that they're about to unveil.

At $300 it would be a fantastic amp...
Last edited by diabolical at Nov 5, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
Guitar players listen with their eyes.

And I just lamented how ugly the Bad Cat logo is even though the amps are amazing But it's true, I sometimes start disliking amps because of their looks.
They're probably going for a similar niche as the Roland JC-120 jazz chorus, which is $1200 new and is well respected for what it does.
May it be the case, by a chance, that it sounds good?

Also we'll likely find them at less than $800 after a month they're out.
Quote by dspellman
Quote by dspellman

Here in Portugal we have a saying, "os olhos também comem", which translates to something like "the eyes also eat", and it means that no matter how good the food tastes, you get added satisfaction if it looks good too.

It's the same way with amp marketing -- funnily enough, sound isn't the only thing that matters for many people.
Last edited by Linkerman at Nov 6, 2014,
"Tube Logic"... Meh. These marketing names only annoy me. What else... Blackstar's "True Valve Power" technology.

They can be great amps but I just don't like the stupid names they give them. If the amp is solid state, it doesn't have to have "valve" or "tube" in its name. And yeah, this is what the "guitar players listen with their eyes" comes from. If the amp name/"technology" they use has "tube" or "valve" in it, guitarists think it means "this amp is good". I mean, I guess otherwise they wouldn't give these amps a name that has "tube" in it.

It would be good to hear what this amp sounds like compared to similarly priced (and otherwise pretty similar) tube amps. Maybe compare it to Fender Blues/Hot Rod Deluxe, Peavey Classic 30, Laney VC30 and the like.

But yeah, I would guess this would sell so much better if it was cheaper. Though maybe then people would classify it as a cheapo amp. I don't know.
But it kind of is a cheapo amp? I doubt that it has a better amp modelling going on than something like the Line6 pods, and it sure as hell is nowhere near the versatility of those. And the cabinet doesn't cost that much in relation. If the modelling was on par with a pod HD500 tone and versatility wise, sure, I might pay 800$ for it. But I doubt that it's actually that good.
Why does this exist? Who is the market for this? At that money we're talking tube amps and I know what I'd prefer to be honest, but it depends on how good the modelling is.
This is a really deceptive marketing strategy, by using the key term 'tube-logic' even though it has no tubes in it. Too bad Roland didn't do any research into what happens to the reputation of amp brands that try to do that.

It seems like Roland did a Bugera with the look of the amp too.

People who are willing to spend that amount of money with an amp of that form factor are demanding an all-tube design. What market is this serving?

Calling it the 'Blues-Cube' is dumb too. An amp like this needs to differentiate itself from their practice amps and putting 'Cube' in the name isn't a good way to do that. Tying it in somewhat with the JC120 (as it's a well respected amp) by calling it the 'Blues-Chorus' would've been better imo.

This amp needs to sound absolutely incredible if it demands $800. Or else it'll fall on its ass so hard it'll fall through the ceiling to the floor below.
Quote by Spambot_2

It's true though. Pretty much all guitar players do it to a degree.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 6, 2014,
These aren't modelling amps. They're just SS amps. The Blues Cubes are something that Roland made in the 90s and they're just bringing them back. And yes, "Tube Logic" originated back then too. Think of these more like a reissue. Cubes have been around since the 70s. They only became digital modelling amps in the 2000s. The old analog Cubes are very different from the newer modeling Cubes we have today. Look up the BC-30 and BC-60 and see how much people loved them.

And I wouldn't necessarily say that people spending that much demand tube amps. Good amps aren't cheap, period. And that's including solid-state amps. Just look at how much a good SS amp costs. Look up Henriksen, Pritchard, PJB, AER, Jazzkat, Quilter, DV Mark, Acoustic Image or Evans. They're not cheap. And they're some of the best amps you can buy if that's what you're looking for.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Nov 6, 2014,
These are essentially the same thing as Peavey Transtube amps (heavily underrated), but probably significantly better quality. The Roland JC-120 is a fantastic SS amp. My high school had one from the 70's. They have excellent tone for jazz and blues. The tone isn't nearly as fat as a tube amp, but it stays cleaner and more crisp.

I can't find anything that claims these amps to be modeling amps. Perhaps Roland has some digital chips in this thing giving it "tube" tone (website says they "go beyond modeling"). Regardless, the market needs more nice analog SS amps. The stigma that SS amps are bad and tube amps are superior has zero factual basis except that cheap amps are often SS and sound bad due to digital circuitry.
But I have to say that SS fans complaining about tube purists are just as annoying as tube purists complaining about SS fans. I could never imagine using an SS amp, not because it's worse, but because tube amps fit me better I really like the tube tone, and despite what some people have claimed I have never heard of an SS amp that could replicate it.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's true though. Pretty much all guitar players do it to a degree.
Yes, and that isn't even the worse, though I much liked the way dspellman put it.
Quote by JELIFISH19
These aren't modelling amps. They're just SS amps.
No, they are modeling amps.

According to roland at least.
I can't seem to find anything on Rolands "Tube Logic" technology. Peavey's Transtube technology uses transistors and varying power levels to achieve tube-like tone, and is 100% analog. Except the reverb.

Quote by guitar/bass95
But I have to say that SS fans complaining about tube purists are just as annoying as tube purists complaining about SS fans. I could never imagine using an SS amp, not because it's worse, but because tube amps fit me better I really like the tube tone, and despite what some people have claimed I have never heard of an SS amp that could replicate it.

To each his own. I'm a tube guy myself, it fits me better. Though for any application where I would need a reliably clean amp, I would use a SS amp. They're not as well suited for a loud rock band setting due to how much quieter they are in comparison to tube amps at the same wattage, but they definitely have a place that guitar players have a tendency to completely disregard. All because of a misconception that SS amps are inherently bad. They're simply the misunderstood emo child of guitar.
Guitar player gave them "Editor's pick" or whatever they call it, no doubt due to their awesome advertising relationship with Roland.
I'm not saying this amp is bad but the guy who wrote the article no it to mention that it could be slain at this price by several competitors, off the top of my head Traynor blue, Fender Blkues Jr, vox ac15, Orange Tiny Terror, Laney vc30, etc. is a gross omission.
Actually the Blues cube reminds me of my Fender Princeton 112 which I got for $300 circa 1996, but done with modeling instead of transistor design.
Quote by nick.culliton

To each his own. I'm a tube guy myself, it fits me better. Though for any application where I would need a reliably clean amp, I would use a SS amp. They're not as well suited for a loud rock band setting due to how much quieter they are in comparison to tube amps at the same wattage, but they definitely have a place that guitar players have a tendency to completely disregard. All because of a misconception that SS amps are inherently bad. They're simply the misunderstood emo child of guitar.

Sure, a lot of SS amps have good clean tones. My friend owns a tech 21 amp and it's very cool. I also happen to adore the clean tones of Paul Waggoner, and he uses or at least has used a Roland JC for the cleans. I still would go for a Laney or a Fender when looking at clean tones because honestly, they have great clean channels too.

But for anything related to crunch tones, I would take a tube amp over a solid state any day.

Quote by diabolical
Guitar player gave them "Editor's pick" or whatever they call it, no doubt due to their awesome advertising relationship with Roland.
I'm not saying this amp is bad but the guy who wrote the article no it to mention that it could be slain at this price by several competitors, off the top of my head Traynor blue, Fender Blkues Jr, vox ac15, Orange Tiny Terror, Laney vc30, etc. is a gross omission.
Actually the Blues cube reminds me of my Fender Princeton 112 which I got for $300 circa 1996, but done with modeling instead of transistor design.

Magazines and websites seem to do that. I just recently watched a Premier Guitar review for the Line 6 Amplifi, and the review praised everything about the amp even thought it's clearly an useless piece of crap.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Nov 6, 2014,
Nothing wrong with an $800 modeling amp. See Fractal and Kemper.

Problem here is "Roland" and "Cube". Hm. It could be good.

If it is $800 good, I think they massively ****ed up by attaching the "Cube" name to it.

And because they attached the "Cube" name to it, I automatically assume that it's ridiculously overpriced.

Marketing and design is hard, apparently.

(Hey Roland, I can give you a few tips if you need a new business major on payroll. )
Quote by Offworld92

Problem here is "Roland" and "Cube". Hm. It could be good.

If it is $800 good, I think they massively ****ed up by attaching the "Cube" name to it.

Yup.
Why so negative. I bought one and it's a great amp. A lot of people are now saying it's a real alternative to a tube amp and I agree. It really isn't just another solid state multi modeller.
^ uh, somebody bought it!

Why did you buy it and how does it sound?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
These aren't even modeling amps, idk why they called them Cubes
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by abutcher713
Why so negative. I bought one and it's a great amp. A lot of people are now saying it's a real alternative to a tube amp and I agree. It really isn't just another solid state multi modeller.

People were negative because the thread is old and the amp wasn't sold back then. It's a relatively expensive amp, competing against real tube amps, and it's pretty much supposed to do the same thing. Will people buy it when for exactly the same price you could get a similar tube amp?

People were skeptical (and I'm pretty sure they still are), and IMO it's pretty healthy. That way you don't buy everything people are trying to sell you. Yes, you can't really judge the amp before trying it, but you can still be skeptical about it. And terms like "Tube Logic" make me pretty skeptical.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
What's up with this "guitarists listen with their eyes" crap? My amp is homely as can be. And I have a couple beautifully ugly Telecasters. I have a Vox Valvetronix with a silver metal grill, lol. I don't think that stereotype fits. In fact, if the Blues Cube is any indication, it refutes the supposed stereotype (I'm pretty indifferent on the design, but it was brought up in a "Blues Cube thread"). Spiders seem to sell by the millions and they don't look all that spiffy.

Besides preferring certain model guitars, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone actually buying an amp based on looks, irl or in forums.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 26, 2015,
Quote by lucky1978
What's up with this "guitarists listen with their eyes" crap? My amp is homely as can be. And I have a couple beautifully ugly Telecasters. I have a Vox Valvetronix with a silver metal grill, lol. I don't think that stereotype fits. In fact, if the Blues Cube is any indication, it refutes the supposed stereotype (I'm pretty indifferent on the design, but it was brought up in a "Blues Cube thread"). Spiders seem to sell by the millions and they don't look all that spiffy.

Besides preferring certain model guitars, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone actually buying an amp based on looks, irl or in forums.

You didn't understand what we meant with "guitarists listen with their eyes". It means that guitarists buy an amp because it has tubes in it. It has nothing to do with the looks, it has to do with looking at the specs and letting that have an effect on your choice, and not just purely listening to the tone.

For example a guitarist not buying a solid state amp because it's solid state is listening with your eyes. Same with the tone woods thing. Some people refuse to buy guitars made of basswood without even listening to how the guitar sounds like first.

Or because a famous guitarist used something, it automatically makes it good and the right thing for you. That's what "listening with eyes" means. It doesn't necessarily have to do with looking at something. It's just letting some other aspects than simply listening to the tone affect your choice.

This is the reason why amps have names like "Tube Logic", "TransTube", "Valvetronix", "True Valve Power". It has a "tube" in the name, so that makes it superior to the other amps in the price range.

Just look at this bass amp head:

It has one tube in it, and of course there needs to be a window so that you can see the tube "glowing" (there's actually a led light behind the tube to make it look like it glows). It kind of gives you an impression that the tube makes the whole tone of the amp.

Guitarists are many times like "it's solid state/digital so it sucks", or "it's tube amp so it's good".

Oh, and guitar and amp brands are a really big part of listening with your eyes. "It's Marshall so it's the best" - this is why Marshall MG sells so well. Or "it's Gibson so it's good", and that's part of the reason why Gibsons are so expensive. And it's the same with "vintage correct" guitars - people don't buy better designs because they aren't "vintage correct".
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Apr 26, 2015,
But we all know it's just more COSM crap aint it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I know what you mean about COSM it isn't that exciting but believe me this isn't that. It's a really great sounding amp just plugged direct in but takes effects really well. For me it's a great amp especially if weight is a problem for you and for me it is.
The Roland Blues Cube is not a modeling amp, you're confusing it with the regular cube series. I have a Blues Cube from the '90s and it kicks ass, it's the 3 10" speaker version with 60 watts although it seems like more. They are bringing these great amps back with even better sound and features due to newer technology. The only problem I ever had with my old BC is it is really heavy, probably 65-70 lbs, the new ones are more like 30 lbs, ahhh.
I have many tube amps and I have used them for a long time, the problem is maintenance. All my amps have been re-tubed, some multiple times. At about a hundred bucks a pop that adds up. Many have had other issues that require spending time and money to get them sounding good again. Sometimes tube amps can just be too undependable. I can't count the number of times I've had a tube amp burn out, blow a fuse, blow a tube or a tube socket, during a gig.
The reason I keep my old BC, and why I'll be buying a new one as well, is they require no maintenance. Ever. That alone is worth the money, but they also sound great. Everyone commenting on this forum should listen to one on youtube or wherever. It's a great solid state amp that emulates the sound characteristics of a tube amp without the hassles and extra cost associated with the often unreliable and delicate tube amplifier.
Quote by StratOvation
The Roland Blues Cube is not a modeling amp, you're confusing it with the regular cube series. I have a Blues Cube from the '90s and it kicks ass, it's the 3 10" speaker version with 60 watts although it seems like more. They are bringing these great amps back with even better sound and features due to newer technology. The only problem I ever had with my old BC is it is really heavy, probably 65-70 lbs, the new ones are more like 30 lbs, ahhh.
I have many tube amps and I have used them for a long time, the problem is maintenance. All my amps have been re-tubed, some multiple times. At about a hundred bucks a pop that adds up. Many have had other issues that require spending time and money to get them sounding good again. Sometimes tube amps can just be too undependable. I can't count the number of times I've had a tube amp burn out, blow a fuse, blow a tube or a tube socket, during a gig.
The reason I keep my old BC, and why I'll be buying a new one as well, is they require no maintenance. Ever. That alone is worth the money, but they also sound great. Everyone commenting on this forum should listen to one on youtube or wherever. It's a great solid state amp that emulates the sound characteristics of a tube amp without the hassles and extra cost associated with the often unreliable and delicate tube amplifier.