Hi everyone I'm posting this here as I'm not sure where else to post it, but I'd like to get people's two pennies on it.

I have been playing guitar for around 8-9 years now (I'm 19), and although I'm not the most technically proficient player, generally speaking unless it's technical death metal, jazz fusion or just good old fret-wankery I can give most genres and songs a fair attempt. This past 3 months or so however, I have not felt as motivated or as willing to play my guitar as I used to. It used to be that I would play about an hour a day, not out of routine or some regimented learning exercise, but because I ENJOYED IT. Now, however, I pick it up, play a song that I don't feel as fussed about playing anymore and then put it back down, feeling slightly deflated.

I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else, and what they did - whether they stopped for good (though being on this site, that might be unexpected), changed things around, or anything really.

All the best everyone, and thanks in advance
Maybe start writing? I know that whenever I get in a lull, I like to just make stuff up instead of doing what others have already done.
I should have mentioned, that's something that I've done for a while now as well, but everything winds up sounding the same - either that, or I hate what I'm playing.
i definitely know how you feel. I've only been playing 5-6 years but it can be a pain when I lose motivation (which happens way more than i like). You just need to listen to a broad range of music I think and eventually something may really inspire you. I find without inspiration it's hard to stay motivated.
Maybe instead of playing one day just go listen to a genre of music you normally wouldn't for an hour or so. Play a video game and put a gypsy jazz playlist on shuffle for example. Oddly enough I find some of my favourite stuff by playing video games and just listening to a different genre on shuffle.
It seems like you listen to KIIIND OF similar music to me and I would give my own recommendations on music that might inspire you, but I don't want to go full fan-boy in this thread haha.
Good luck anyways, hopefully you'll get out of that rut soon enough
Last edited by vayne92 at Nov 5, 2014,
This is a very common thing. You've been playing for a long time so that can be part of why you are losing some passion.

If you don't mind me asking, is there anything happening in your life right now that is taking up a lot of time? Perhaps something is stressing you out or causing you to focus your energy elsewhere?
Thanks for the suggestions vayne My music taste is moderately varied, but a large part of it does consist of metal and hardcore (despite a recent interest in lo-fi and indie folk, like Bon Iver and whatnot) so maybe I'll give that a go.

@milehighshred: I started university in September; I started to see this loss of interest around August time, but I wonder if that could be the case. I also get seasonal depression, so from round about now onwards I have to be a wee bit careful - that might be a cause for my lack of interest at the moment, but I wouldn't have thought it would affect it that far back.
Ok, firstly: don't force it. Since you're at uni I'm going to assume that this isn't your primary source of income and since you didn't mention your degree I'm going to assume it's not a music degree so it's not going to be your source of income in the future.

Which is actually great, because it means you can take times of burnout or reduced interest like this and just roll with it. You don't need to power through or anything, you can just take time off and it won't affect much outside of how much time you spend playing.

That said... are you playing with other people? Like; bands, jam sessions, just noodling around with a dude who plays in your uni accommodation, whatever. Playing with other people can really give your levels of inspiration a massive boost.
Well I started playing when I was about 8 years old (I'm 50 now !) and I certainly don't play as much now as I did back then but will still pick it up now and again if a certain riff or chord progression catches my ear. I would agree with Vayne92 : listen "actively" to a genre that's not in your normal comfort zone and see if you can learn something from it - I find I get most pleasure these days from trying (and hopefully succeeding) to play something I've never played before. Finally, like Zaphod said : don't force it - that usually does more harm than good. All the best.
Quote by AaronIsCrunchy
Thanks for the suggestions vayne My music taste is moderately varied, but a large part of it does consist of metal and hardcore (despite a recent interest in lo-fi and indie folk, like Bon Iver and whatnot) so maybe I'll give that a go.

@milehighshred: I started university in September; I started to see this loss of interest around August time, but I wonder if that could be the case. I also get seasonal depression, so from round about now onwards I have to be a wee bit careful - that might be a cause for my lack of interest at the moment, but I wouldn't have thought it would affect it that far back.

That very well could be the cause. I've talked to others in a similar situation. Sometimes life just gets in the way. I myself have had times where I didn't play as much as I used to. In fact, I still don't, but mainly because my time is just so limited. When I was in high school I had PLENTY of time to play, and that's when I played the most. Now, I'm running my own business, starting a new one, and going to school. Thankfully I have a couple bands to play in, but yes my own music and playing for fun has fell behind big time. My energy is just spent on the new projects.

Eventually I do want to get back into playing like I used to. In fact, the more I'm away from it, the more I miss it. Perhaps devoting yourself to your university will help you miss playing too.

There are a lot of good suggestions on this thread too. One person I talk to mentioned he likes trying to play super hard material when he feels like he's losing interest. Sometimes the challenge of learning something difficult can help light a new fire in you.
It's ok to set it down for a while and pursue other interests. If guitar is meant to be in your life you will get drawn back in time and time again. I have been playing for a very long time but I did put it down several times, sometimes for a year or more. Playing in front of a live audience and playing with other musicians is what keeps me interested. I have little interest in playing alone unless it is woodshedding parts for a performance.