So, I have a 2005 MIM Strat. It's currently routed for SSS, but I don't really care for the bridge pickup. Could I just make the hole in the pickguard bigger and put in a humbucker without re-routing the cavity?
By definition if your guitar was SSS routed you would have to route for a humbucker in the bridge. So I think you are misunderstanding what "routed" means, because otherwise you would not be asking this question. Your guitar is probably actually HSS or HSH routed under the pickguard. You'll need to take it off to check, but that is standard for MIMs. Assuming that's the case, you can simply widen the pickguard hole for a humbucker.

"HSS Routed" refers to the holes in the wood under the pickguard, not what pickups are in the guitar.
In addition to what Roc said, I would buy another pickguard. S-to-H conversion will look scruffy because the original SC screw holes will be in the wrong place.
And of course, there are single coil size side-by-side AND stacked humbuckers out there (check out the DiMarzio Fast Track II, SD Hot Rails, etc.) that would fit into your existing pickguard openings.

Last edited by dspellman at Nov 5, 2014,
Quote by Roc8995
Your guitar is probably actually HSS or HSH routed under the pickguard. You'll need to take it off to check, but that is standard for MIMs. Assuming that's the case, you can simply widen the pickguard hole for a humbucker.

That it is. Thank you for the clarification.