Hey guys
I' m trying to get ready for auditions at the Peabody Conservatory in February by preparing some chord melodies. I found one I'm very fond of which I want to stick to

This:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJjBDcnZtlY&authuser=0

From 0:40-0:48 the guy strums a chord and then appears to play Harp Harmonics with that chord shape, or at least that's what it looks like.

After playing the notes in that chord, I realized i was missing some of the harmonics as some of the notes don't appear to be in that chord. You'd think six strings for six different notes, but he's playing more than that.

Does anyone know what he's doing. I somewhat understand how to play harp harmonics but maybe I'm missing something?
Initially I didn't understand what you were trying to say, but then after looking more in to it I'm just as confused as he's playing 11 harp harmonics and I can only account for how he's playing 7 of them..
Here I am now a few minutes later and I think I've come to discover the rather obvious conclusion that there aren't 11 harp harmonics. There's maybe 5-6 of them. Some of them I'm quite positive are just regular "open" notes, but you only initially think they're all harmonics because his index finger is in that harp harmonic position the entire time. It makes sense that he keeps it like that though.
I'm pretty positive that's how he's doing it. I think your ears are just deceiving you in to thinking every single note is a harp harmonic.
Quote by congresstart
Hey guys
I' m trying to get ready for auditions at the Peabody Conservatory in February by preparing some chord melodies. I found one I'm very fond of which I want to stick to

This:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJjBDcnZtlY&authuser=0

From 0:40-0:48 the guy strums a chord and then appears to play Harp Harmonics with that chord shape, or at least that's what it looks like.

After playing the notes in that chord, I realized i was missing some of the harmonics as some of the notes don't appear to be in that chord. You'd think six strings for six different notes, but he's playing more than that.

Does anyone know what he's doing. I somewhat understand how to play harp harmonics but maybe I'm missing something?

He's doing quite a complicated thing, he's actually using a finger on his picking hand to play a higher string before each harmonic and then on the highest few strings dropping the notes and just playing harmonics.

The tab looks like this, where "h" denotes a harmonic 12 frets above the stated note:

e|----------------3-------h3-h6-
b|-----------4---------h4-------
g|------4-----------h4----------
d|-3-----------h3---------------
a|--------h4--------------------
e|---h4-------------------------
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
He's doing quite a complicated thing, he's actually using a finger on his picking hand to play a higher string before each harmonic and then on the highest few strings dropping the notes and just playing harmonics.

The tab looks like this, where "h" denotes a harmonic 12 frets above the stated note:

e|----------------3-------h3-h6-
b|-----------4---------h4-------
g|------4-----------h4----------
d|-3-----------h3---------------
a|--------h4--------------------
e|---h4-------------------------

I don't even fully understand what Zaphod is saying but trust him over me
Eric Johnson uses this technique, maybe you could find videos where he explains it. I love this thing but it's difficult to do.