There's a Youtube tutorial on Albert King riffs. There's some full-step bends around the 8th fret on the high E string. I keep breaking strings, even though I've tried two different guitars. The breaks are right at the bends, not at the saddle, nut, or tuning post.

The strings have been D'Addorio and GHS, so they're not poor quality. I've looked at the frets and can't see anything. Also, I'm using .011 strings. I tried some .012 as well.

At first I just figured that the string would only take so many bends, but in searching for "breaking strings" on this forum, I found a lot of posts from people who said they did lots of one or even two step bends without trouble. Albert King, SRV or any other blues player probably did as many bends in a couple of songs as I did before breaking a string each time.

Any ideas?
Hmm. Yeah, there's definitely something wrong. I do big bends on the high E all the time, and I can't even remember the last time I broke a string. Feels like my strings will cut my fingers before they break. Breaking right at the point of the bend, I'd guess it's something up with a fret. Might be a little burr or something, too small to see at first glance. Check it out super close, and take it to a tech, if needed.
I'd make sure that your frets are buttery smooth. Stewmac has something called a Fret Eraser that comes in several different "grits" and is outstanding for getting your frets glistening. I've never broken a string at the point of the bend.

How old are the strings? Not only how long have they been on the guitar, but also how long did you own them before they went on the guitar?
Quote by dspellman
I'd make sure that your frets are buttery smooth. Stewmac has something called a Fret Eraser that comes in several different "grits" and is outstanding for getting your frets glistening. I've never broken a string at the point of the bend.

How old are the strings? Not only how long have they been on the guitar, but also how long did you own them before they went on the guitar?

I change all of the strings on each guitar about once a month. I use a nickel roller wound .018 for the G string, and the winding breaks every few days at spots where I do a lot of bends, so I replace the G string about once a week on the one guitar. The E strings haven't been a problem until I started with the Albert King tutorial. I'd been doing bends on the E before, but not again and again for an hour.

It's happening on two different guitars. I'll take a really close look at the frets, though. I've already done that with a magnifier, but I'll try something stronger.

I didn't have any broken strings tonight.
Yesterday I spent about three hours going over all the frets. I sanded each one, starting with 400 grit, and going to 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000. I examined each fret with a 10X magnifier as I worked on them. They were shiny and smooth.

I broke another string tonight at the 7th fret on a 1 step bend. It was after repeating the same lick again and again for maybe ten minutes. That's the seventh string I've broken at the same spot in about a week.

I don't get it. I can see anything on any of the frets nearby, either.