Page 1 of 3
Highlander jokes aside, I am wanting to take up the sword. Not for any aggressive purposes or anything like that. The Crusades ended centuries ago. Or did they!?! ('cause they've been fighting in the middle east since biblical times and probably even before that, so who knows. *shrug*

but I digress. I live in Corpus Christi, Texas. Anyone know any sword or fencing schools that would be in the area or in the next town over? Also I don't want fencing. That shits gay. I want the sword school where they teach you the historical techniques, the way the knights of olde REALLY fought. Its had to imagine soldiers fencing each other in the middle of the battlefield. As it was a feudal system, most peasants knew next to nothing about how to handle a sword other than instinctive hacking and slashing.

Im sure sword lessons would cost about the same, if not more than, however much fencing costs. You gotta buy the pads, equipment, the swords themselves, that stuff adds up. So how much should I expect to be paying? Also what do I look for in a good sword school or instructor?
I figure in Texas, they give you a gun at birth and tell you that's how fighting is done.

EDIT: Thread is about "sword fighting" and "sword handling" and OP says of fencing, "That shit's gay." Lol, get it?

hardy har haw
Last edited by chrismendiola at Nov 5, 2014,
You ask if there are any fencing schools in Texas then say "I don't want fencing. That shits gay [sic]"?

Someone's obviously confused about his sexuality
You want some sword fighting lessons?

Step 1:

Grab sword

Step 2:

Swing sword at opponent until dead

there i just saved you a ton of money. yw.
This site seems to have some cheap prices. I would have expected a sword to cost several thousand, and the training swords are pretty cheap too.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Category/4_1/Swords.aspx

I tried karate and all that when I was a kid, but I didn't have the patience, I don't know, swords just seem like theyd be a lot cooler than flashy martial arts.
**** a sword. i started making long bows from scratch last spring and have gotten pretty damn good. im up to 65 lb draw weight

Quote by Acϵ♠
**** a sword. i started making long bows from scratch last spring and have gotten pretty damn good. im up to 65 lb draw weight

lol yeh bet it's e-z getting such a close pattern when ur shootin from 3 ft away loser lol
Here's a couple of links to get started.

ARMA, or the Association of Renaissance Martial Arts. Despite the name, this org's primary function is the reconstruction of the historic wester martial arts. They do have a somewhat greater focus on the Long Sword, but that may be as much because of the greater amount of remaining original material to draw from. They have a number of articles for free to get started.

http://www.thearma.org/

Sword Buyers Guide reviews lower-price swords. While I think they do have an eastern MA bias, they do review western weapons as well.

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/

Museum Replicas Limited (MRL) is a web store where I've bought several swords from, all full tang, carbon steel construction, that I use myself. I primarily focus on the Longsword as well, mostly doing forms since I'm basically alone in my area as far as studying Western MA.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/
TS, most peasants would have fought with a spear, bow or quarterstaff. The only time they'd have even seen a sword was when a knight shoved it through them.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
TS, most peasants would have fought with a spear, bow or quarterstaff. The only time they'd have even seen a sword was when a knight shoved it through them.

yes, that's true. the only peasant carrying a sword would be if he took it off an enemy that he just killed. however, it would be HIGHLY unlikely that a mere peasant would best a noblemen.
Do fencing, since that's considered an interesting sport and you can go to clubs, gain friends and be social.

If you wanna collect katanas and swing a replica of Excalibur around then prepare to be a neckbeard.
Look up HEMA, too. Historic European Martial Arts.
Sport fencing is pretty far removed from actual swordplay anymore.
Also, in the later middle ages, swords were pretty plentiful, so most people owned one. Coming off the crusades, there were a lot of surplus and used swords on the secondary market. Blacksmiths usually had a rack of "cheap" secondhand swords for sale.
Quote by Baby Joel
lol yeh bet it's e-z getting such a close pattern when ur shootin from 3 ft away loser lol

i make more shots from 3 feet away than the utah jazz huehuehue
Quote by Acϵ♠
i make more shots from 3 feet away than the utah jazz huehuehue

This is amazing.

That must mean you're a really good archer then or something cause I mean I haven't looked it up or anything but with the frontcourt we have we're probably making like 150% of shots within three feet.
Quote by neptune1988
good shot. you should trade it in for a gun.

guns are for fat white people that don't know how to hunt.
Quote by neptune1988
Anyone know any sword or fencing schools that would be in the area or in the next town over? Also I don't want fencing. That shits gay.

Make up your goddamn mind
Quote by Acϵ♠
dont you mean .150% joel

lol you suck though

nah but really like Favors and Kanter kill it inside and then on the bench you've got Gobert and Booker (aka Milsap lite) so ya know
Quote by Acϵ♠

you hunt at all or just mounds of dirt?
Yeah, bro. Learn how to handle the big swords. That'll be sure to bring all those Catholic girls to
Quote by Thrashtastic15
you hunt at all or just mounds of dirt?

not yet, i've been meaning to get my hunting licence cos a lot of my buds go hunting. they always laugh at me cos i insist id be hunting with a bow but in my friends backyard i put an arrow through a rabbit from 40 feet away. Now they want me to go with them haha
Quote by Acϵ♠
not yet, i've been meaning to get my hunting licence cos a lot of my buds go hunting. they always laugh at me cos i insist id be hunting with a bow but in my friends backyard i put an arrow through a rabbit from 40 feet away. Now they want me to go with them haha

ha. bow hunting is far more rewarding. it also makes you a better hunter. first time i bagged a turkey with a bow was so awesome.

It's good that you are going to go out there with the ability to reliably place shots. One thing you are going to have to keep in mind is that when hunting you don't get to take all of your shots from perfect conditions. yr gonna find yrself in all sorts of precarious positions and you really want to make a clean shot

also, gotta be quiet as fk

hmu sometime bow hunting makes me happy
yeah, i was reading up on practice habits for bow hunting and got into the habit this past summer of just taking 1 shot a day, but making that shot count. Started at 10 feet, then moved back a couple feet a day until i could hit a target with 1 shot from 50ish feet out. I dont know if i could put an arrow through a deer's heart from that distance in actual hunting conditions, especially on the 65lb bow, but maybe smaller game i think i could take down easily enough if i had a tree stand.
Lol well i dont have them here at home, they're at my friend's storage barn up on the credit river. If i can remember i'll snap a few pics next time im there
Quote by Acϵ♠
Lol well i dont have them here at home, they're at my friend's storage barn up on the credit river. If i can remember i'll snap a few pics next time im there

do that and tell me what you did and maybe i can give you a few tips. i like you infinitely more than most people for making yr own bows.
Thread Starter, you learn the way of the sword by using the sword. You can go whack giant rats or something, maybe draugr, as they are pretty slow. I don't remember where the trainers are, so you must check the wiki if you want to pay for levels.
Quote by TheChaz
Yeah, bro. Learn how to handle the big swords. That'll be sure to bring all those Catholic girls to

its just a 'squirting orgasm' now. lose the tantra. that's shits for the ass-backward neo-pagan hippies.

PS

Yeah. I'll show her my "Zweihander" !

Last edited by neptune1988 at Nov 6, 2014,
Page 1 of 3