Hi everyone, I'm quite a noob to guitar theory and composition. And I've got a question on soloing over some chords, the chords are B F# A and E. I would like the use the pentatonic minor scale as it's the only one I'm comfortable with. What minor key would best fit, any advice is welcome.

Thanks
First: Which chord feels like home?

Second: Look at the notes of those four pentatonic scales. Notice anything interesting about them?
I hate limiting myself to only one pent scale. You've got 12 notes to choose from, use all 12. The trick is knowing when to use what. Try a diminished scale to lead you to the IV chord. It's like magic.
Are all those chords set in major? If so, a B minor scale will sound shoddy. The regular B major scale (B, w, w, h, w, w, w, h) would sound much better. You will have to compensate for the A chord thrown in there.

B, F#, and E are all naturally within the B major scale. A is thrown in there for an interesting punch. If you really wanted to stay to a minor scale, G# minor would work.

Learn scale shapes. They help for improv.
if you're using power chords (B5 , F#5 ...), Try B or F# min pent. Littled edgy, but sounds nice.
Just beware of where the pent.note would be a semitone higher than a chord note .. you may want to deemphasise that.

cheers, Jerry
Thanks everyone, I realised Am sounds bad in that chord progression. Would swapping it for an a7 work better?
Quote by Patrickshortall
Thanks everyone, I realised Am sounds bad in that chord progression. Would swapping it for an a7 work better?

If it sounds bad, change it. You could try playing A7 and figure out if you like it or not. Use your ears. What sounds good to your ears is good. You don't need to ask us for the permission to change the chord. Try it.
A7 would be worse on the ears, but you can do anything in music. You said it was an A minor, make it A major instead. It's out of place, but workable. A lot of contemporary music adds the chord a whole step down from the root chord, which is what your progression does, if it's B maj, F# maj, A maj, E maj.
Quote by Will Lane
Are all those chords set in major? If so, a B minor scale will sound shoddy. The regular B major scale (B, w, w, h, w, w, w, h) would sound much better. You will have to compensate for the A chord thrown in there.

Nah it'll sound pretty bluesy. Whether you want that or not, of course, is the thing. B major is the "correct" scale to use, as you said, but you also have to compensate for the bVII A chord, as you said.
Quote by Patrickshortall
Hi everyone, I'm quite a noob to guitar theory and composition. And I've got a question on soloing over some chords, the chords are B F# A and E. I would like the use the pentatonic minor scale as it's the only one I'm comfortable with. What minor key would best fit, any advice is welcome.

Thanks

assuming you mean all Major chords, these scales work…...

B minor pentatonic, B minor blues, B Major pentatonic, B Major blues

^ these you can play all the way through without having to adjust for the bVII chord

If you use the B major scale, you'll have to play the b7 over the A in place of the A#(7)
(or just think B Mixolydian scale over that chord)
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 7, 2014,