I've tried out the Epi 400 Pro, which I like. I see it online etc at $349 band new. I'm seeing Gibson SG Faded guitars (used) on craig's list for about $400. Are these Gibsons worth checking? Thanks
Honestly, there's no solid answer for this. Your best bet would be to try them both out in person and go with what you prefer.

Personally, I'd say they're worth checking out but don't automatically assume you'll like it better just cause it's a Gibson.
I have been impressed by the Gibson SG Fadeds I have tried. It is a different guitar from the Epiphone G-400, we can say that for sure.

Check them out and see for yourself.
I didnt like the neck/frets on the faded series. Id prob go with the epi and swap pickups down the road.
I actually bought a G400 faded over the Gibson faded because the neck on the Epi was way more comfortable. Add a Duncan to the bridge and it is a great guitar for the money
Quote by Robbgnarly
Add a Duncan to the bridge and it is a great guitar for the money

My sentiments exactly. Wait for a cheap used G400 to turn up and replace the electronics with a set of Duncans and Alpha pots.
Quote by jpnyc
My sentiments exactly. Wait for a cheap used G400 to turn up and replace the electronics with a set of Duncans and Alpha pots.

Mine came stock with Alpha pots also.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Your best bet would be to try them both out in person and go with what you prefer.

This is the only thing that matters.

Some expensive Gibsons are extremely great, some are extremely poor.

Some cheap Gibsons are extremely great, some are extremely poor.

Epiphones don't tend towards the extreme (except extremely poor for the cheaper models), but the higher end models are usually good solid guitars, with slightly less tendency for QC mistakes.

A good Epiphone will be better than a poor Gibson, but if you find a good Gibson it will completely blow any Epiphone away.

And then there's your preference. That matters, and we can't tell you which you will prefer.