Drum and Bass is undoubtedly one of the longest still evolving forms of electronic music which still is considered fairly popular.

What is DNB?

In it's most basic form it's a fattened bass line, drums that sound fairly organic (drummer like), which partly comes from breakbeat loops which are also used a lot.

The tempo is roughly between 160 - 180, though from 168 to 174 seems to be most common.

The mid and high frequencies differ quite a lot and partially also characterize it's various sub genres. The sub genre's are also largely characterized by the way the drums are done.

The dark and crossbreed genre's tend to feature more compressed drums and fat snares in more abrupt variations, while Liquid Dnb has drums more in the background and with a softer snare and is soft on the variations.

I left out Jungle, because I feel that's it is it's own genre, though it's a popular debate it seems. People who make jungle now still respect and use the sound as it was originally, and some view it as the parent of DNB.

Jungle is basically heavy emphasis on break beat chopping, Reggae/dancehall like vocals, and a distinct sub bass. It sounds quite organic and live sounding and is so partially because of the samples used were real drum recordings, as well as it being raised in a basically turntablism period only.

Here some examples from the top of my head.

More mainstream Drum n Bass with Liquid elements, melodic emphasis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y6Ou5ks6q8

Drum n bass featuring more live elements very famous track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZR2p-DhSX4

What I listen mostly, and falls under the crossbreed genre, a combination of (dark) drum 'n bass and tekno.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DluUABTr3J8

And another...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doipllJlyTM

I just took a few random tracks, but there are many takes on this genre.

Enjoy.
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 7, 2014,
Quote by Duffman123
But what about Jungle tho?

Post it!

I have ADD and just impulse wrote this thread
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 6, 2014,
Quote by Duffman123
But what about Jungle tho?

i've commandeered the breakcore thread for it but really it should go in here

anyway sticking to dnb let's actually have some good shit

Critical Music easily the best label in DnB from long time no seh mi tell ya that
Last edited by willT08 at Nov 6, 2014,
^^ Partial reason. Jungle could have it's own thread. It's like Detroit techno and all other techno.
I never really got into recent DnB. The good thing about dubstep is that it's 140 tempo so it can be taken anywhere but DnB seemed to have reached its peak along time ago and it's mostly boring. But I haven't been to a good DnB night so what would I know.

I do love me some Jungle though.
Quote by Duffman123
I never really got into recent DnB. The good thing about dubstep is that it's 140 tempo so it can be taken anywhere but DnB seemed to have reached its peak along time ago and it's mostly boring. But I haven't been to a good DnB night so what would I know.

I do love me some Jungle though.

What do you think about something like the switch technique I posted? Dnb seems quite alive in the crossbreed part of things.

Actually the crossbreed made me have a dnb lapse again. At a few sets I went to a while ago there was tekno and Dnb being mixed, that shit was tight and holy crap through an actual sound system.

EDit;

Also 808 kicks used as bass lines, shit is tight.
Quote by willT08
i've commandeered the breakcore thread for it but really it should go in here

anyway sticking to dnb let's actually have some good shit

Critical Music easily the best label in DnB from long time no seh mi tell ya that

I like that 2nd track.

I will check the label out.

I also never been to a rave in England, still on my bucketlist. If you ever come to Amsterdam, hit me up and we can go to a rave. I know most of the nicer locations and soundsystems.

We don't really seem to have much grime, but loads of Tekno, Techno, Dnb, Dubstep.
^^ Yes I listen to that stuff a lot as well, very nice. It's like heavier, but still grooving and laid back in a way, but maybe that's my ADD head perceiving it as 'regular' tempo.
I saw Pendulum live (before I really cared about EDM or anything) but it was a crazy concert. I know they've gone a bit rock-based and such, but still it was killer.

I think DnB was actually my first proper introduction to electronic music. I should listen to more of it cause since then I haven't really listened to much at all lol.
Quote by Baby Joel
I saw Pendulum live (before I really cared about EDM or anything) but it was a crazy concert. I know they've gone a bit rock-based and such, but still it was killer.

I think DnB was actually my first proper introduction to electronic music. I should listen to more of it cause since then I haven't really listened to much at all lol.

Same. I used to like multiple DnB artists but I don't even remember who they are now. :/

Of course everyone knows Pendulum. I'm not a fan of most of their music but early Pendulum was ****ing great.

but I won't talk about them too much. I feel like that's the equivalent of going into a house thread and just talking about Daft Punk.
Daft punk is great

Also when I type in elektro house, I get shitty rising airhorn sounds, and clip compressed production, wtf happened to that genre

10 years ago I was totally into this label:

http://www.edbangerrecords.com/

Oldskool french elektro house, really not comparable with the modern take on it.

Justice, mr Oizo, Daft punk etc. were true bangers, then they went mainstream and everyone hated them because of overexposure. A shame really.

So who is going to make a thread on Japanese vampire techno?
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 7, 2014,
i've seen pendulum live twice too lol, both times before prodigy
they were v bad live and i don't really care for them now but a bit of prodigy never goes amiss
Quote by captainsnazz
i've seen pendulum live twice too lol, both times before prodigy
they were v bad live and i don't really care for them now but a bit of prodigy never goes amiss

Ye I love the prodigy.

Fat of the land '97 I believe very nice album must listen.