Page 1 of 2
I play all sorts of modern metal, is a Marshall MA50H or a Bugera 6262 going to be a better option for me? I have a Digitech Metal Master, an Electro Harmonix LBP-1 Boost, and a Maxon OD808 that I would put in front of either.
Neither. The MA sounds shit, the Bugera is made by Behringer. The best way to get there cheaply and reliably is a Peavey 6505+.
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 6, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Neither. The MA sounds shit, the Bugera is made by Behringer. The best way to get there cheaply and reliably is a Peavey 6505+.

I appreciate your response, but I didn"t want someone to talk crap about amps, I want to know which one is better. Or shall I put it in different terms just for you: "Which amp sucks less?"
The Bugera sounds better, the Marshall is more reliable. Choose your poison. Both are crap but for different reasons.

But seriously, even a used 6505+ will cream them both on both counts. It's no competition. They're about the same price and miles better than both of the two piles of shit you're considering.
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 6, 2014,
Seriously consider opening your options up to different amps besides those two. It is entirely for your own benefit that we recommend doing so.
How about adding Jet City, Carvin, Laney and Traynor to the mix as well?

I'm not sure which of the two I'll pick if forced, probably the MA which I found to be dull and uninspired sounding. Then with these pedals you might coax something decent...

The Bugera has huge reliability issues and bad service so I wouldn't go there.
The 6262, at least it can be tweaked to sound pretty decent. I haven't heard anything good about the Marshall. Mostly hear that it sounds like a MG with tube power amp.
Quote by ltmcgrew
I appreciate your response, but I didn"t want someone to talk crap about amps, I want to know which one is better. Or shall I put it in different terms just for you: "Which amp sucks less?"

you asked a question and got an answer. neither are a good choice.

i would look for a used 6505+ 1x12" 6505 combo

or you could look into jet city
Quote by Cathbard
If you want real advice, rather than, "is dog shit better than cat shit in my sandwich?" do this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Then we can really help you.

Budget - $400
Genre - anything ranging from asking Alexandria to suicide silence. Cleans are important to me, but if it has a semi-decent clean channel and a good lead channel, I'm not gonna be upset.
New or used - doesn't make a difference
Closest city - Chicago
Home or gig - both
Current gear - listed on my profile
Quote by diabolical
How about adding Jet City, Carvin, Laney and Traynor to the mix as well?

I'm not sure which of the two I'll pick if forced, probably the MA which I found to be dull and uninspired sounding. Then with these pedals you might coax something decent...

The Bugera has huge reliability issues and bad service so I wouldn't go there.

What would you suggest with a $400 Max? Already have a Carvin 4x12 so please no combos
Oh crap, now that sigs have been removed I can't just hit 311's tricky amp search thingy in his sig. Seeing as how you are in Chicago, that would be the way to do it. I'll see if I can summon him for you.
Quote by Cathbard
Oh crap, now that sigs have been removed I can't just hit 311's tricky amp search thingy in his sig. Seeing as how you are in Chicago, that would be the way to do it. I'll see if I can summon him for you.

i think it was best of craigs or something like that. i will search in a minute or two.
Check GC Used section too. I'd have to **** around changing my location to do anything meaningful. Rob will probably drop in with some GC bargain anyway, things proceeding as per normal.
Bet he finds some shithot JSX or sumtin. $400 gets you into some good things over there.
Quote by Cathbard
How so?

i bought a 1570 ibanez prestige and asked about everything, bridge included. i asked what bridge it was.

guess what it came with? a retro fitted ghetto rigged Jackson licensed floyd rose. i paid shipping once. i was refunded and got another and the made me pay for shipping AGAIN. i called the manager, regional manager, the manager of where it came from, his regional manager. didn't do shit. and the second one, didn't come with a trem bar which it supposedly had.
Bummer. Amps would probably be a bit safer in that regard one would think though. A JSX is a JSX, is a JSX. If you get my drift.
Quote by Cathbard
Bummer. Amps would probably be a bit safer in that regard one would think though. A JSX is a JSX, is a JSX. If you get my drift.

it all depends on the integrity of the salesman. hopefully others are better.
$400 maybe Valveking or Fallen angel if you can get one. Carvin - look at their tube head section, the V3 especially. If you're not opposed to solid state, look at Vox Valvetronix.
Last edited by diabolical at Nov 7, 2014,
You're going to have to keep a hawk eye on Craigslist if you want to snag a 6505+ for $400. That shit aint happening on GC used or eBay.

And yes, I am implying that you want/need a 6505+ for what you want to play.

A Boosted JSX will also get you there with amazing cleans, but that'll be even harder to nag for $400.

You may just have to save up a bit more.

The only Marshall I would recommend to you would be some kind of JVM. Maybe a TSL. But eh. I don't think a DSL would really cut it. Maybe boosted with an EQ in the loop, but eh.
The JCA50H is basically a 50W Soldano SLO. That would be a fine choice. If a SLO can't do it, it aint worth doing.
You'd need a speaker cab though. A 2x12 loaded with decent speakers would do the deed.
The front panel is easily changed, it's just a few screws. They look great if you stick some black mesh/perf steel on the front. Powder coated black - bewdifull.

I'd buy the JSX. It would need a cab too so I guess it's out of reach. Conclusion - get the JCA50 and a used 2x12 with Celestion V30, WGS Veteran 30, of maybe some type of Eninence depending on taste. Whatever you can find, just stay away from cheap Celestions (ie Seventy 80, Rockets, etc)
I concur. Knew you'd find something. It was even a JSX.
Call me Nostra****ingdamus.
Nostracathbardamus?

*boooo hiss*

But yeah, JSX head if you can spend more or Jet City + some overdrive pedal to boost it and tighten them up. Digitech Bad Monkey is very cheap and very good tubescreamer derivative.
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 7, 2014,
So what I'm hearing is either a JSX or a Jet City would be a good choice? What about a Peavey 6505 112 combo and chopping it to make it a head? Would that be better than the JSX and Jet City?
Last edited by ltmcgrew at Nov 7, 2014,
I've seen it done before a couple times by guys on Craigslist selling theirs with impressive results. I can't really say that's a bad idea...you just have to be careful and not chop up a perfectly good amp.
Quote by ltmcgrew
So what I'm hearing is either a JSX or a Jet City would be a good choice? What about a Peavey 6505 112 combo and chopping it to make it a head? Would that be better than the JSX and Jet City?

I wouldn't do that. You'll just ruin the resale value. If the JSX is too pricey, you'll likely find a XXX cheaper and they are damn good amps for what you want as long as you have a TS and a guitar with high gain pickups.
Quote by ltmcgrew

That is a solid option. Due to lack of official 60w head version some people do exactly that. If you are not picky about looks and dont care for retolexing or making a new shell easiest way is just sawing the bottom half off.
Quote by Jeffh40
I wouldn't do that. You'll just ruin the resale value. If the JSX is too pricey, you'll likely find a XXX cheaper and they are damn good amps for what you want as long as you have a TS and a guitar with high gain pickups.

Eh, I dont know about that. New combo is already quite affordable. Used its cheap. There really isnt much resale value to ruin.
Quote by Jeffh40

Would a XXX be able to handle Suicide silence type music with a Maxon OD808 in front of it and EMG 85/81 pickups?
The thing I found with the XXX is that if you're really into a modern metal style voicing like you'd find from a 6505, you're better off looking elsewhere. The XXX is fairly middy and a bit on the loose side of things bass wise. The thing also has way too much gain on tap and personally I found you had to pack on too much gain before the thing started to have any balls. Also not really the best amp for lower gain tones. The cleans are usable though.

Much more suited for hair metal kind of stuff IMO. But if you're able to try it out first, do that and see if you like it.
Page 1 of 2