Hey guys,
I got a Les Paul Traditional Pro Ebony two days ago and I've just noticed now that the corner of the neck pickup is chipped. It's not affecting the sound but when you're close it sure looks hideous. Here are the pictures:

The first pic is showing it up close:

http://i.imgur.com/FIm1fNk.jpg

On the black pickup, you can see it's chipped.

The second pic is showing it zoomed out:

http://i.imgur.com/0AkEjb6.jpg

A friend suggested that it was because the bridge was too low so the high e string scratched it as I was playing.

What seems to have happened?

Thanks
It looks like a minor scratch to me, its not even chipped. Anyway, there a bunch or things that could have happened, but scrattching it with the string is pretty unlikely, since you would surely noticed that the string is making wired noises while playing. There could have been some danage during transport, or maybe the pickup went out like this from the factory. If its a new guitar, you can send it back and they will probably replace it, but honestly, i dont think its worth it.
I'd send it back and get a replacement. Over here in Australia we pay full MSRP and for $3500 or so I'd expect that thing to be flawless, assuming its a Gibson.
I have had a string dig into the pickup, so it is definitely not impossible for that to happen without noticing. If the guitar is great except for that I would negotiate with the store for switching out the pickup instead of sending the guitar back.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

This is absolutely not worth losing sleep over.

I have some OCD characteristics and I'm anal about my gear, so I'd definitely lose sleep over something like this.

TS, I'd take it back to the shop and ask them to sort it out (either replace the pickup or get me a new guitar).
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ or have them knock some money off the price of the guitar

That's actually a great idea. Use it as a means to knock money off the guitar if you can prove that it was that way as you left the store. The scratch could well be a blessing.
From any more than 10cm away you can't even notice it. Getting an entire guitar replaced for that to me is completely over the top. Get the pickup replaced if your jimmies are really in knot about it, but in my opinion the fuel and time to get so done is worth more than that scratch.
Quote by Jimjambanx
From any more than 10cm away you can't even notice it. Getting an entire guitar replaced for that to me is completely over the top. Get the pickup replaced if your jimmies are really in knot about it, but in my opinion the fuel and time to get so done is worth more than that scratch.

Agreed. Really not worth the time and effort it would take to get anything at all done about it.
Are you sure it's chipped? Looks to me like it might just be some potting wax that escaped. You could fix it with a hair dryer if that's the case.
You may be responsible for that yourself, with some overly aggro picking. You can lower the pickup (neck pickups on 50's Les Pauls are often nearly flush with the pickup ring) to reduce the likelihood of it happening again. First dings on new guitars are always traumatic. I *hate* when that happens.
Quote by Roc8995
Are you sure it's chipped? Looks to me like it might just be some potting wax that escaped. You could fix it with a hair dryer if that's the case.

Or you could soften up the potting wax and get more of it strewn around <G>.

Friend of mine left his guitar in the car on a hot SoCal day when temps inside the car were hunting toward 180 degrees. Among other ills, whatever wax he'd used to pot his pickups melted, drooled down the side of the guitar (it was on its side in the case behind the front seats) and onto the interior of the case. He'd also been one of those idiots who thought he had to fill up the entire space inside the pickup cover with wax in order to complete the job, so there was quite a lot of it.