Hello everyone,
I have two guitars one is the TAKAMINE EN10C that i have for ten years,
the second one is the TAKAMINE P3DC that i bought 3 month ago,
i bought the P3DC Because i heard that she is the replacment of the EN10C

after playing some time i still feels that the EN10C is better then the P3DC but i just cant explain it.

Is the P3DC is the same guitar? Or the EN10C is a better quality guitar?
Should I keep it ?
What is the difference between them?

Please help, what guitar should I keep ?
Need to know the difference and which one has more value?

thanks
Attachments:
t.jpg
Well they both look beautiful. I would keep the guitar which you love and still inspires you to play.
all that matters is which guitar sounds better to you. a newer or better quality guitar still may not sound as good. the newer one will probably sell for more, and it sounds like you prefer the tone of the older one.
Sell the new one. The older one will be worth less and it is broken in and is the better guitar ( based on your statements).
I still don't get why you bought the new one. I was never going to be any better if it is replacement model in the same price range is it? (unless your old one was worn out - which takes about 30 years)
If they both have solid tops (I didn't check), it makes sense that the older guitar would sound better, since solid spruce tops notoriously "break in", or "get better with age". Cedar is not known as much for improving with age.

With the older instrument, other issues can present themselves. How are the frets? Do you still have enough saddle showing in case the action gets higher?

And FWIW, "better" is a relative term, it could be exchanged with, "what I'm used to".

I didn't read the whole thread, is selling one of these a necessity? Selling either guitar would result in a loss.

I think it was a mistake to buy the same instrument, since it provoked this indecision. Personally, if I was happy with a particular instrument, I would only buy a another guitar, not replacement, which would sound or play differently. To serve a different purpose as it were. Forgive me for the Monday morning quarterbacking.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 7, 2014,
Gotta agree with crank. Variety is the spice of life. I wouldn't have bought a similar guitar unless I was unhappy with the old one for some reason, or maybe upgrading to a higher end model that was similar. Otherwise I'd get something with a different combination of tone woods and/or different body shape.

I guess you should keep the 1 you like better. Maybe give the new one a chance for a little while. It's not always love at first feel. Sometimes you are accustomed to your old guitar and the new one needs some time to grow on you. Like was stated already, the new guitar should sound better as it ages if it's a solid top but I don't know how accurately you can predict that.
En10c:
http://www.takamine.com/guitars/archive/en10c/
P3dc:
http://www.takamine.com/en-IL/guitars/series/pro-3/p3dc-cutaway-dreadnought-rosewood-fingerboard-with-case/#specs

I bought the p3dc when I play It in the guitar store and it feels great and the seller sad that it is the replacement of the en10 and with minor improvements like the build in tuner and so.

If you look at the spec you can see that they both cedar but the en10c is mahogany back and sides and the p3dc is sapele.

So what do you say guys?
Thanks
Quote by marknopfler

I bought the p3dc when I play It in the guitar store and it feels great and the seller sad that it is the replacement of the en10 and with minor improvements like the build in tuner and so.

If you look at the spec you can see that they both cedar but the en10c is mahogany back and sides and the p3dc is sapele. ....[ ]....
Most of my guitars have built in tuners, which I rarely use. Either a stomp box tuner, or a clip on does the job for me.

Mahogany (today), is rarer and more expensive than sapele, hence the reason why makers are using it in place of mahogany. Does it sound better, worse , or different, I dunno. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

Cedar tops have the reputation of "wearing out", before their spruce counterparts. Is that true, or urban myth, dunno. Spruce sounds better with age, cedar wears out, or so legend has it.

Since we actually don't normally get this far with the guitar buy/ sell dynamic, I'd have to say as to which one you should sell, "I dunno".

I gave you some thoughts about the relative merits of each guitar earlier. If you want me to make up your mind for you, I'd say that has already been done by you and your friendly local guitar salesman, and it's also above my pay grade.

I still don't understand why you need to sell one. The only earthly reason I can come up with for buying two very similar guitars in the first place, is to use one as a backup. If you sell one, then you won't have a backup.

Either one you sell, will result in a loss. You figure it out.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 8, 2014,
If I were you, and I was only playing guitar for fun now, I would keep the guitar I liked best/was used to more. If you've had it for ten years, then the timber will have aged, the sound has (probably!) mellowed; it's like comparing old wine to new wine. Maybe give the newer one a chance to age? But if you have to sell (emphasis on 'have to'), part with the one you will regret the least. (If you need pickups you can make modifications to the EN10C.)

My Fender acoustic was a mid-price guitar, nothing too fancy, but it's proabably about 10 y.o. now and I prefer it to my old man's new-ish Maton (both quite different guitars to compare anyway, I realise that). I wouldn't part with it for an 'updated' model. If you love playing it, keep it.

Also, by 'replacement' it doesn't mean you personally have to replace your guitar, it's just the newer version/model the manufacturer is producing as they no longer make the EN10C.
Quote by marknopfler
I'm so confused,
I think I'll leave them both,

thanks guys.
When you say, "I'll leave them both", you do mean, "I'll keep them both", er don't you?
Quote by Captaincranky
That's the spirit!

I like to think that was a pun on 'spirit', with the clinking beers...
Quote by mind_meld
I like to think that was a pun on 'spirit', with the clinking beers...
It came out as a word pun, and a visual pun as well, beings as the glasses are identical, as are the two guitars in question.

I'd like to think I planned it that way, but it was late, and I had some Benadryl, along with a bit of Xanax on board, as I was getting ready for bed....
Quote by Captaincranky
It came out as a word pun, and a visual pun as well, beings as the glasses are identical, as are the two guitars in question.

I'd like to think I planned it that way, but it was late, and I had some Benadryl, along with a bit of Xanax on board, as I was getting ready for bed....

Haha nice... didn't even think of the guitars being identical