Link to the ad below:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-amp-pedal/sudbury/50s-beltone-all-tube-amp/1030954332?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

So this popped up in a musicians facebook group I am on. The ad does not have much info, except that he wants $250 for it and the tremolo is broken.

Just wanted to know what would be a reasonable offer, if anything at all. I know that they are actually a tiesco amp branded as a Belmote, basically from the 60's. I don't live in the city anymore but if its something I should pick up I can get my buddy to grab it. I realize just because it is vintage does not mean its a great amp.

For comparison I am playing a Fender MIM tele and Epi Sheration II through a Fender Hot Rod III, playing a lot of alt. country and folk (ex: Deep Dark Woods, Blue Rodeo, Cuff the Duke, etc.)
I'd pass. Those amps generally need some work. You're going to need a full recap at some point and it's just not worth doing on something so cheap unless you really, really like the sound. Sonically they tend to be pretty ratty sounding. No bass, poor sustain, fizzy distortion. That's a draw for some people but I would not expect an amp like this to sound any good in the traditional sense.

Jack White inflated the price of this type of amp quite a lot. If that aesthetic is important to you or you really need that sound, this might be worth buying, but if you're just looking for a good tube amp I'd pass. These amps were cheap junk 50 years ago.
Quote by Roc8995
I'd pass. Those amps generally need some work. You're going to need a full recap at some point and it's just not worth doing on something so cheap unless you really, really like the sound. Sonically they tend to be pretty ratty sounding. No bass, poor sustain, fizzy distortion. That's a draw for some people but I would not expect an amp like this to sound any good in the traditional sense.

Jack White inflated the price of this type of amp quite a lot. If that aesthetic is important to you or you really need that sound, this might be worth buying, but if you're just looking for a good tube amp I'd pass. These amps were cheap junk 50 years ago.

+1

I like the old cheap junk amps, but the ones i have bought have been worked on by my tech so they are in good shape. most people i know don't like the old lo-fi cheap-o guitar amps (though most my old cheap-o's are valco amps, so they may be a bit better than a belltone/teisco).

if you want one then plan on getting it worked on, or you can get a modern reproductions like vintage 47. cool little amps if you're into old lo-fi tones and you're willing to fix it up a bit, not so great amps if you are looking for flexibility, durability and quality tones.

http://www.vintage47amps.com/