So right now I've got about $1400-ish to spend on a guitar, my problem is there's just so many to choose from and I have no idea which one I want more. I've tried all the ones I'm about to list and absolutely loved them all, which makes this even harder for me! Here are the ones I've tried (and am seriously considering):

Jackson USA KE-2
Ibanez Jem77
Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strat (One of the older ones with Dimarzios in them)
MusicMan JP6

I mostly play metal and thrashy stuff, but I've always been a huge Yngwie fan and loved the feel/look of his guitar. So guys, what would you do? What would you choose? Would you choose anything different if you had this budget?

Also it's worth noting that I'm going to be buying used.
Any feedback is appreciated!
Thanks!
The prices for these guitars new are insane. If the used prices are that much different, I'd be extremely cautious with buying any of these.

I doubt the Yngwie strat has active pickups. If you're doing metal/thrash, active pickups are a good suggestion. Although not required, they really help to bring out the deepness and br00tality of the guitar for metal. If fact, I don't think any of the guitars you listed have active pups.

I'm not sure why the Jackson is listed at $2,499 on Musician's Friend. That radial fretboard curve might be beneficial, but that's uber expensive. The Ibanez is $2,999 on Sweetwater, nothing stands out besides it being a Steve Vai signature. The Music Man is listed at $1,575 on Musician's Friend, but nothing much to it.

Why are these all signature models? Most of the time with signature models, you pay extensively just for the name that the guitar is associated with.

Also, most of these guitars are not used by metal/thrash players. Steve Vai surely isn't thrash, Yngwie is Neoclassical, and I would label Petrucci as progressive. The only one related to metal is the Jackson, loosely based off of Megadeth guitarist's Marty Friedman's signature.

I've always been a fan of Schecter's guitars for metal. With your budget, you could easily snag one of their higher-end guitars with active pickups. Try one out and see. I have a lower-end Schecter and she's killer for metal and cleans/leads.

If I had to pick a guitar from your original 4, I'd choose the Steve Vai signature, solely because of the pickup configuration. With metal, your neck and bridge humbuckers would help for leads and rhythms, respectively, and the single coil in the middle could give you that neoclassical lead tone that Yngwie boasts.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 7, 2014,
I'd choose either the Jackson or the EBMM, but many of these guitars have all kinds of different features on them, which suggests to me that you don't know what you want out of your new guitar.
Quote by jesusfarted

Jackson USA KE-2
Ibanez Jem77
MusicMan JP6

I'd recommend the Musicman. I've had a Silhouette Special for over 10 years and it gets better with age. Remarkable guitars.

The Fender would be my second choice.
Quote by jesusfarted
So guys, what would you do? What would you choose? Would you choose anything different if you had this budget?

Think outside the b...er...ordinary every day production items.

Unless you know what you really want.

Those are guitars you can buy every day of the week.

There are Suhr and Tom Anderson and Carvin customs and lots more to be had at that price, used. Last time I spent around that amount of money, I bought a Line 6 Variax JTV-89F, but that was something I'd specifically targeted. Look beyond a Guitar Center wall.
They're all pretty different, as T00DEEPBLUE said. They all should be pretty good, but you sort of need to know what you want. If you mostly play metal i'd probably give the malmsteen strat a miss. up to you, of course, and if you just loved it when you tried it maybe it's "the one". but from a more objective standpoint, the others are probably more metal-orientated guitars.
Quote by jesusfarted
So right now I've got about $1400-ish to spend on a guitar, my problem is there's just so many to choose from and I have no idea which one I want more. I've tried all the ones I'm about to list and absolutely loved them all, which makes this even harder for me! Here are the ones I've tried (and am seriously considering):

Jackson USA KE-2
Ibanez Jem77
MusicMan JP6

I mostly play metal and thrashy stuff, but I've always been a huge Yngwie fan and loved the feel/look of his guitar. So guys, what would you do? What would you choose? Would you choose anything different if you had this budget?

Also it's worth noting that I'm going to be buying used.
Any feedback is appreciated!
Thanks!

It can be fun to own an axe like one your idol uses, so it's hard to argue against the YJM Strat.

However...

Until you really sort out what you want, hold fire. Like dspellman, I have a fondness for guitars that aren't exactly common (though probably for different reasons). So I've found that there really are some great guitars out there, just off the beaten paths.

...none of which should be taken as a judgement of the 4 you're looking at. One or more of them may be 100% perfect for you, and it doesn't get better than that.

But your post indicates your uncertainty. And uncertainty is not your friend when contemplating purchases over $1000.
Thanks for all the responses guys!

The thing is I already own a very metal-oriented guitar (Jackson RX10D with Seymour Duncan Livewire Heavy Metal Distorion II pickups) so this next one doesn't necessarily have to be a complete metal guitar. Actually, ideally I'd like for this next guitar to be as versatile as possible.

I've also tried a couple of different Fenders including an HSS one, but honestly none of them felt the same as the YJM one, it felt very smooth to play and just overall looks great (in my opinion, at least.)

It's not so much a case of me not knowing what I want, it's more of "oh wow there are so many guitars that I really like the feel and sound of and can't just pick one, what do I do?!" I realize that each of these guitars isn't exactly in the same category as the next, but that's what makes it so hard for me. But like I said before, I'm also open to different suggestions if anyone has any.
Also, I didn't intentionally start looking for signature models, it was just very coincidental that the guitars that I really liked happened to be signatures haha.
if you're ok with having a bunch of guitars, and already have a metal-orientated guitar, then if you liked the malmsteen one best then get it.

no worries about the signature thing either.
One more thing though, can someone explain to me the differences in capabilities between Single coils, humbuckers, and stacked single coils (like the ones on the YJM)?
Quote by jesusfarted
One more thing though, can someone explain to me the differences in capabilities between Single coils, humbuckers, and stacked single coils (like the ones on the YJM)?

You are willing to spend $3000 on a guitar and yet you don't even know what the difference between a humbucker and a single coil is?

Just read this. Can't be bothered to explain.

http://www.agileguitars.org/difference-between-single-coil-pickups-and-humbuckers/

A stacked single coil is technically not a single coil at all. It's a humbucker that has its 2 bobbins 'stacked' one on top of the other, to give the sound and appearance of a single coil without the noise. However, some stacked single coils don't sound that much like traditional single coils, but it depends on their design.
in general, humbuckers have a lot more output and are thicker- and warmer-sounding. they tend to be better for higher gain tones than single coils.

single coils (at least, strat-style ones) normally have less output and are brighter- and thinner-sounding. they tend to be better for lower gain tones.

(that's a gross generalisation and over-simplification)

stacked ones like on the malmsteen strat are basically just noiseless single coils. To most intents and purposes (the ones I've tried, anyway; I haven't tried the malmsteen ones) you can generally just consider them to be single coils, albeit without single coil hum.
Just throwing it out there, but how about a PRS Custom/Standard 24, depending on how much you feel comfortable spending?