Hi All,

i am currently using a rickenbacker 4003 through a Oranage ad200b.

was wondering what good 4x10 bass cabs people can suggest.
i currently have a orange obc 115 and gallien krueger rbx 410,

however due 4x10s weight and for the sake of my spine (doctors orders) i need to get something lighter.

so was thinking of getting gallien krueger mbe 410 ii.

does anyone have any experience with a gallien krueger mbe 410 ii or think of a good alternative?
Ok mark bass is not cheap but their neo cabinets are light and sound fantastic. I had to give up my Eden 210 when I was diagnosed with a herniated lumbar disc.I have a set of the markbass cabinets and couldn't be happier. You are looking at half the weight with all of the sound you need
Look into the fEARful 15/6/1.

Talkbass.com should be full of threads about it, and you can find the specs on http://greenboy.us/fEARful/

It started out as a DIY design utilizing the neo 15" Eminence 3015LF as a focal point, and adding an 18 Sound 6ND410 6" mids and a 1" tweeter (optional). Finished in Duratex, these are generally in the 50-52 lb range (less if you leave out the tweeter). They'll handle up to around 900W (8 ohms) each without farting out, and they'll easily handle a 5-string and will outpunch any 4x10.

Speakerhardware.com has cut-sheet kits right up to kits that have everything (including drivers, pre-made crossovers, finishing supplies and the proper glue), and there are "authorized builders" in the UK that will build them for you. http://www.speakerhardware.com/categories.php?cat=138&pg=3

Best of all, they can be one-handed (and if you can't handle it you can get a much better class of roadie to do it)

Last edited by dspellman at Nov 8, 2014,
You don't need a 4x10.

You only need to be able to be a bit louder than the unamplified drums, then if the drums go through the PA so do you.

Modern speaker designs can be much louder than old ones size for size, though they may need to be driven by more powerful amps to get the extra sound. They do this because they increase the excursion and a 10" cone travelling twice as far will shift the same air and make the same volume as two traditional 10's. To do this they need bigger magnets and longer coils which means either extra weight or expensive neo magnets.

Barefaced have pioneered this approach in the UK and are well thought of http://barefacedbass.com/ many more manufacturers are adopting lightweight designs.

I use a 2x10 for most gigs and 2 1x12's for bigger venues, up to 500 people . My drummer has complained of not being able to hear his own snare when I turned the 12's up in one venue. My bad. My 1x12's weigh 13kg ea.
Forgot to mention Barefaced.

Alex Claber is one of the collaborators that helped design the fEARless cabinets via TalkBass. He's best known, however, as the designer of the BarefacedBass series of cabinets, and these, like the fEARless, are designed to use *modern* drivers with long-excursion cones and neo magnets inside cabinets that are designed to be both lightweight and even more powerful than the run-of-the-mill manufactured 4x10 and 1x15 clunkers. His current run of cabinets feature a specially designed 12" speaker (though he's used 15" and other sizes in the recent past).

The neo magnets have been expensive recently because local manufacturers ("local" being US for me) stopped mining what was needed and relied on cheap Chinese prices. The Chinese raised their prices (a lot) and neodymium magnets followed. US is just now getting production back up to speed, and prices are falling again.

But the neo magnets are just part of what reduces the weight on these cabinets. Most manufacturers simply slap a box together out of thick plywood (it's cheaper to do that). But you can produce a cabinet that's stiffer (important for bass) and even more impact resistant with thinner plywood and smart bracing. Turns out it's also lighter to build that way (but more expensive, thanks to increased labor costs).

The whole point of building cabinets with multiple 10" speakers originally was to substitute cheap speakers and a lot of cone area for more expensive speakers with high Vmax (cone excursion). Smaller cone area can produce the same volume, but the cone excursion has to make up for it. And modern LF drivers are capable of that. Thus, bass cabinets like those from Barefaced and from the fEARful and fEARless designs can be smaller, lighter and yet more powerful while producing deeper bass and flatter overall response than the 4x10s we're used to.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 10, 2014,
was going to get this as its on 21kg (44lbs):
http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Gallien-Krueger_410_MBE-II_Bass_Cab,_8_Ohm/GK-410MBE-II8?CAWELAID=1854418079&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CJr8gcKh-MECFSQHwwodfg8AMQ

but now i dont know what to buy lol.

the barefaced look brilliant, but a bit too much out of my price range,and i cannot find anywhere in the uk doing the fEARful 15/6/1 or the Avatar Neo 210 cabs.

im in a heavy alt/prog band atm, so do you think a markbass 2x10 along with the orange obc115 cab would give me a enough punch?
Quote by sucubus

the barefaced look brilliant, but a bit too much out of my price range,and i cannot find anywhere in the uk doing the fEARful 15/6/1 or the Avatar Neo 210 cabs.

im in a heavy alt/prog band atm, so do you think a markbass 2x10 along with the orange obc115 cab would give me a enough punch?

The fEARful 15/6/1 is also a DIY project. The drivers are available in the UK, and the design drawings and instructions are out there. You can order the crossovers from SpeakerHardware.com (as well as any other bits and pieces) or have them tell you where to source them in the UK. They're pretty good that way.

You'd be better off with a pair of 2x10s or a pair of the 115 cabs than you would with a mixed setup.