Hello everyone I am in a rock band with a drummer, bassist and one other guitar player(who is also the singer) and I have used my bugera v5 for practice, the issue is that they have booked a gig and I am worried that my amp won't cut it. I put down a deposit on a guitar that I really want a few weeks ago and was planning on buying it soon-but now I am worried that my small five watt valve amplifier won't be loud enough-it keeps up pretty well when we practice(with gain maxed and volume at maybe 7.5?) but that is a small room and the place where the gig is doesn't have a pa system(and I think we are playing outside). I have around $300 that I was gonna spend on the guitar if that helps anyone.
Thank you for any help
It won't cut it very well at all. You'd need to mike it up. Are you sure there isn't a spare channel you can use? I mean, you have to have some sort of PA for the singer don't you? Check it out.
You may be able to get away with it if you play rockier stuff like ACDC and totally dime your amp, but that's l kind of a best case scenario. I wouldn't feel very comfortable with it. If it has at least a 12" speaker that will help but you may want to rent out an amp for the night or something. If you're the only guitarist that will help too. I think you'd prob answer this question better from experience from jamming with the band.
Last edited by evmac at Nov 7, 2014,
When I gigged we just miced/DIed my amp to the singer's PA. The amp was really just a monitor for me. Can you hire one for the night if the PA suggestion doesn't work out?
As long as the singer's vocals aren't going through another guitar-like amp, use their system as long as you won't wreck it.

Another suggestion is to use your current amp as an amplifier head, as long as it has an output, and hook it up to a cabinet speaker. You might need a powered speaker, though. The venue might have an extra, or you might need to rent one.

Depending on how loud your band is, you might just need a small boost from a PA or a speaker, and that isn't too difficult with a mic. However, if you need a heavy boost, you'll need a cab or to go through a loud system.
For $300, you could get a used Bugera 22W 1x12 combo if you like your current Bugera. It doesn't seem like much a step up, but 22W should be plenty loud enough for most situations.
It might or might not do...depends.
Run a test setting up as you would onstage, then move in front of the whole band center, can you still hear yourself? That should answer your question.
I'd mic it with the singer if needed until you save up more for better amp.
It's only Rock & Roll and we gig with the gear we have, not the gear we wish we had. Dime the little muther and go for it! I've gigged with far worse than that and still got paid.

That said, if you are in a gigging band you probably need a gig worthy amp more than a new axe at this point. Priorities.
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 8, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
It's only Rock & Roll and we gig with the gear we have, not the gear we wish we had. Dime the little muther and go for it! I've gigged with far worse than that and still got paid.

Amen to that! Gigged with Valvestate 10 water!
Quote by diabolical

My first amp was an 8w SS Checkmate from Japan. It sounded just awful but....
Quote by diabolical

TOOOOHHHHHNZ

Haha my first gig was with a Spider 1... blahhh
My friend gigged an Orange Micro Terror, he blew it up but it still worked, but seriously it's probably not ideal, but if it's mic'd up it'll be fine as long as you can hear it
My first amp ever was a Vox SuperBeatle. We practiced *loud*.

BORROW an amp for your gig. BUY your guitar. Especially true if this is really only one gig for now.

Amps are sometimes necessary, sometimes not. Last time I played for money I had a Korg Kronos X (keyboard) and a Line 6 Pod HD plugged into the PA mixer. Worked like a champ.