Okay boys and girls, I'm looking for some pedal-pro advice as I am looking for a superior distortion pedal for my rig. I own a Vox AC15 2x12 and play with a Gibby SG.

currently I play with a Boss DS-1 and my only complaint is it gets all mushy and never really sounds full, solid and cutting like I'd like to hear it, although there are times when it sounds great, but then soon subsides to this inarticulate mushiness. Is it just the fact that I don't play a high gain amplifier or is it the pedal? PLEASE help me to find a better device, ty
Last edited by andersondb7 at Nov 8, 2014,
Not sure about the AC15, but a Rat is favored by many AC30 owners.
Never tried one myself with my AC30 so I can't say for sure.
AC30 and a DS-1 is ,IMO, a piss poor match up.
Even after numerous mods to my DS-1, I was never really happy with that going into an AC30.

What pedal is best for you depends on what music or what sounds you are after.
I've heard that the Suhr Riot sounds good with an AC type amp.
But again, I have had no personal experience with that pedal into a Vox amp either.
Quote by CodeMonk
Even after numerous mods to my DS-1, I was never really happy with that going into an AC30.

But again, I have had no personal experience with that pedal into a Vox amp either.

that's an interesting point you bring up. I think i'll be better off starting a VoxAC pedal thread for my particular case. thx bruh
Have you tried a TS9? If you want a tighter sound that cuts well, then that, or it's cheaper variants are the answer. I use a Digitech Bad Monkey. Super cheap and really good.
Quote by evmac
Have you tried a TS9? If you want a tighter sound that cuts well, then that, or it's cheaper variants are the answer. I use a Digitech Bad Monkey. Super cheap and really good.

I like the TS9 a lot. But it is an overdrive pedal and is meant to boost signal for leads. What I'm looking for is a traditional Distortion pedal designed for rhythm guitar. Since the TS9 is an OD I don't think it gets as much drive as regular distortion pedals.
I use my bad monkey as a boost on my amps and it does a nice job sending them into overdrive. With a low headroom amp like the AC15 I would have thought it would do the job, but maybe Danny's advice is better.
I have the Famulus. Great pedal.

Now, I don't know your budget, but if what I've posted so far is too rich for your blood, check out the offerings from Visual Sound.

The Jekyl & Hyde- which I also have- is a solidly built, middle of the road OD/Dist pedal. In that, it is like a budget version of the Famulus. VS also has other pedals that pair an OD with other effects. Worth checking out.
Quote by CodeMonk

I thought the ds1 sounded not too bad with my genz benz black pearl (voxish, I think, but I'm guessing it's not a straight clone either).

but yeah a rat is probably better

what type of tone(s) are you after, andersondb7? what's the budget?

EDIT: ah you already answered the tone thing, at least a bit. Do you want something marshally-sounding, or heavier, etc. etc.?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 8, 2014,
Try a treblebooster with the AC15/30.
Rory Gallagher and Brian May(of Queen) have awesome classic-rock overdrive sounds and use the same set-up.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I thought the ds1 sounded not too bad with my genz benz black pearl (voxish, I think, but I'm guessing it's not a straight clone either).

but yeah a rat is probably better

what type of tone(s) are you after, andersondb7? what's the budget?

EDIT: ah you already answered the tone thing, at least a bit. Do you want something marshally-sounding, or heavier, etc. etc.?

Sorry, I kind of misspoke. I love the DS-1, it gets fat rhythm sounds as well as good lead sounds, but, as I said before, it doesn't have a super smooth signal like that of a marshall or whatever. So yes, I'm kind of looking for the next best thing to natural amplifier gain
no worries.

i guess an overdrive (assuming it gets heavy enough for you, which it might not) would be worth a try. either something tubescreamery or sd1-style (which will be smooth in the mids and cut some bass) or something more flat in eq (like a timmy, boss blues driver, original marshall bluesbreaker, ehx soulfood/klone etc.).

another option is stacking an OD with a not too high gain distortion pedal. an sd1 into the front of your ds1 should sound pretty good and more natural and amp-like than a standalone higher gain distortion pedal (in most instances, anyway).

of course you could always try a smoother distortion pedal since the ds1 isn't that smooth.

there are a bunch of ways to achieve what you want, basically. it just depends on which you prefer, really. you either take a chance and buy something and hope it works (after doing some online research of course, I don't mean to just buy randomly!), or get to a shop which has your amp and try a bunch of pedals (and don't be afraid to stack them, and also don't be afraid to try stuff which you think might not work, just in case it does).