I play modern metal and djent, but a solid clean channel is important to me too. My budget is $450 and I already have a cab. DO NOT bring up 6505/6505+. Nothing against them, they are just simply out of my price range. The main ones I'm looking at are:

Randall RT100 - $449.99
Laney GH50L - $449.99
Blackstar HT Club 50 - $449.99

NOTE: Open to other suggestions than these three, they're just the ones that sound appealing to me.
You have a thread already with this same question. Don't make multiple threads. If you live in the U.S. then the 6505 is NOT out of your price range. Patience and listening are virtues.
Quote by evmac
You have a thread already with this same question. Don't make multiple threads. If you live in the U.S. then the 6505 is NOT out of your price range. Patience and listening are virtues.

None of those 3 amps are mentioned ANYWHERE in those threads. Show me a 6505 head for >$450 then.
None of those 3 amps are mentioned ANYWHERE in those threads.

Then post them in your thread?

6505+ combo 112, $399. Look at Guitar Center's used section. It's not the head, but who cares? It's super loud, more than enough for gigging, and can easily be made into a head later on. Not only do you save a lot of money by doing this, but you get the exact amp that AA (and the like) use.
Quote by ltmcgrew
None of those 3 amps are mentioned ANYWHERE in those threads. Show me a 6505 head for >$450 then.

I bought a 5150 block letter head for $400 a few months ago.
Quote by evmac
Then post them in your thread?

6505+ combo 112, $399. Look at Guitar Center's used section. It's not the head, but who cares? It's super loud, more than enough for gigging, and can easily be made into a head later on. Not only do you save a lot of money by doing this, but you get the exact amp that AA (and the like) use.

Sorry to offend you by making a new thread, I'm still pretty new to posting them. I need a head because I already have a Carvin cab and I'm not sure I trust myself cutting up a combo to have a head bc I'm 16.
Quote by ltmcgrew
Sorry to offend you by making a new thread, I'm still pretty new to posting them. I need a head because I already have a Carvin cab and I'm not sure I trust myself cutting up a combo to have a head bc I'm 16.

You could just plug a 6505 combo into the back of a 4X12?
Quote by oneblackened
I bought a 5150 block letter head for $400 a few months ago.

Props to you! Where did you find such a great deal?
Quote by Fisheth24
You could just plug a 6505 combo into the back of a 4X12?

Does the 6505 have a Line out?
Quote by ltmcgrew

You simply unplug the internal speaker of the 6505+ 112 combo and connect the 4x12" cabinet to (one of) its outputs.
If a solid clean channel is important to you then i'd scrape the 5150-I/II & GH50l off your list. Not sure on the Club 50 or RM100.

There's a used mesa nomad 45 & carvin v3m head in GC's used section. If you can raise you budget by $50 more then the nomad becomes on option.

Not sure what a used 5150III goes for
Last edited by steven_ferns84 at Nov 8, 2014,
Quote by Linkerman
You simply unplug the internal speaker of the 6505+ 112 combo and connect the 4x12" cabinet to (one of) its outputs.

+1. This is super easy to do. No sawing required.

The 6505 doesn't really have the best cleans, but at your budget I'd say it's better to have that wicked distorted tone and make do with the clean channel.

I have no allegiance to the 6505+. I don't own one and I probably wouldn't play one live or record with it, but for what you want, it is the best option.
Quote by ltmcgrew

You've got the <> sign going the wrong way. Head > $450 means that you want to pay MORE than $450. The sign goes $100 < $400 -- $100 "is less than" $400. Small part of the arrow toward the smaller figure.
Quote by Linkerman
Yeah, this.

Line outs are other stuff, you want a speaker out here.
The thing would work.

Also to whoever mentioned it up there, I could never find a 5150 III anywhere for that money.
Quote by ltmcgrew

One of my favorite combos was the Carvin XV112E, a 1x12 open back X100B combo amp with an EV-L speaker. 100W, EL34s, active controls, assignable 5-band graphic EQ (think Mesa), gorgeous clean channel, very versatile gain channel. Still available all over eBay for around $350 and absolutely worth it. What was nice was that it was relatively easy to cart the combo itself to practice and back home. When it came time for gigs, I had two 4x12s. I unplugged the internal speaker, plugged in the stack of 4x12s (no, it sat alongside the stack, not on top of them) and went at it. Extremely loud amp, both as a combo and with the stack.

There's no reason to "cut up a combo." Just put it up on any good tilt-back amp stand (look at the RS7000 from OnStage, for example) alongside the 4x12.
^ but the X100b is not an amp for modern metal which is what TS wants. The only amp Carvin makes for that is the V3/V3m which are not that great
Used 6505+ 112 for $400 and you're done. Don't worry about the cleans -- they're not nearly as bad as people make them out to be, especially if you spend ~$25 on a couple specific JJ tubes and put them in V1 and V5. At your price range, you can't expect Fender cleans and monster-high-gain all in one package. This will do the monster-high-gain easily. The cleans are a bit "cold" sounding but they are clean, not dirty. If you run your neck pickup and back off the volume knob a bit and run a little reverb, they can be surprisingly pleasant.

Also, don't worry about turning it into a head just yet. The 112 combo will blow your balls off with the volume at 3. I'm saying it's unbelievably loud, deep-sounding, and brutal for a 112 combo. That said, I turned mine into a head and like my 412 for its capability for mixing speakers and it has an even bigger, fuller sound. The extra loudness is not why I bought it. As the 112 combo, it was easily loud enough to play in a band situation. Plus, you don't *have* to convert it to a head to run it through a bigger cabinet, it just looks better and is easier to carry.
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ but the X100b is not an amp for modern metal which is what TS wants. The only amp Carvin makes for that is the V3/V3m which are not that great

That post was mostly to point out that you can use a combo AND use it with a 4x12 ("have your cake and eat it too") with no issues.

But if it comes to that: Here in LA, we've got at least three bands (out of godknowshowmany) that are using the X100B (it was reissued) for "modern metal." One of the guys has been using the same amps (his are heads, not combos, actually) for at least 20 years and was probably modern metal before it was Modern Metal. Next time I see them, I'll explain that the boys at Ultimate Guitar say he has to have a 6505 1x12 combo or he's Out Of The Genre. Period.

Seriously, how tightass have these metal genres become that they dictate gear?

Is there a specific brand of guyliner as well?

"He can't be a man cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarette as me"

-- The Rolling Stones
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 8, 2014,
If you don't want a 6505 you could look into a Bugera 333 Infinium, they've got good ratings
Quote by dspellman
That post was mostly to point out that you can use a combo AND use it with a 4x12 ("have your cake and eat it too") with no issues.

But if it comes to that: Here in LA, we've got at least three bands (out of godknowshowmany) that are using the X100B (it was reissued) for "modern metal." One of the guys has been using the same amps (his are heads, not combos, actually) for at least 20 years and was probably modern metal before it was Modern Metal. Next time I see them, I'll explain that the boys at Ultimate Guitar say he has to have a 6505 1x12 combo or he's Out Of The Genre. Period.

Seriously, how tightass have these metal genres become that they dictate gear?

Is there a specific brand of guyliner as well?

"He can't be a man cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarette as me"

-- The Rolling Stones

Yes I agree a combo will work just fine through a cab

Right tool for the job, and there is a reason lots of bands use certain gear for certain types of music. Yes you can use what ever you like, but some gear is much easier to achieve some tones with. Come on you should know this
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 8, 2014,
the laney doesn't really have a clean channel and the blackstar isn't all tube (far as I'm aware, anyway). I haven't tried the randall.
Quote by 'DC fan
If you don't want a 6505 you could look into a Bugera 333 Infinium, they've got good ratings

I'm not so sure I trust Bugera after the dozens of stories about reliability issues.
Quote by steven_ferns84
If a solid clean channel is important to you then i'd scrape the 5150-I/II & GH50l off your list. Not sure on the Club 50 or RM100.

There's a used mesa nomad 45 & carvin v3m head in GC's used section. If you can raise you budget by $50 more then the nomad becomes on option.

Not sure what a used 5150III goes for

I just looked at GC and I didn't see the Nomad for $500.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes I agree a combo will work just fine through a cab

Right tool for the job, and there is a reason lots of bands use certain gear for certain types of music. Yes you can use what ever you like, but some gear is much easier to achieve some tones with. Come on you should know this

I just sort of rebel against the "stock answer" for everything.

Cookie Cutter Cookie Monster Compliant CACA.

booooooring.
Quote by Spambot_2
Yeah, this.

Line outs are other stuff, you want a speaker out here.
The thing would work.

Also to whoever mentioned it up there, I could never find a 5150 III anywhere for that money.

Are line outs to plug the amp into a DI box?
Quote by ltmcgrew
Props to you! Where did you find such a great deal?

Craigslist, man. All about finding good deals.
Quote by oneblackened
Craigslist, man. All about finding good deals.

That's what I thought. I found a Randall RT100 with the matching cab that has Celestion Greenbacks in it that's within my budget and the guy has never gigged with it so it's in mint condition.
Quote by ltmcgrew
Are line outs to plug the amp into a DI box?

Into a PA. Though I'm sure you could plug one into a DI box.

However, unless it's a load box you will need a speaker also, otherwise you'd possibly blow an output transformer by plugging it into something without a speaker connected.
Quote by Fisheth24
Into a PA. Though I'm sure you could plug one into a DI box.

However, unless it's a load box you will need a speaker also, otherwise you'd possibly blow an output transformer by plugging it into something without a speaker connected.

So could I plug a cable through the line out into a DI and have the DI running through the PA and use the amp like a monitor?
Last edited by ltmcgrew at Nov 8, 2014,
I think the line out might disable the speaker output, not sure though. In any case you wouldn't really want to so that because you won't be getting any coloration from the guitar speaker, which means your sound will be far different through the PA than it would be otherwise (just miccing the amp).
Quote by ltmcgrew
That's what I thought. I found a Randall RT100 with the matching cab that has Celestion Greenbacks in it that's within my budget and the guy has never gigged with it so it's in mint condition.

greenbacks wouldn't be my first choice for brootz, though they're good speakers (and i imagine you could sell them if you had to).
Quote by Robbgnarly
The only amp Carvin makes for that is the V3/V3m which are not that great

I like my V3m head and 2x12 cab better than my Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo , never had the V3 but I'm happy with the V3m , the trick on the fizzies is keep the master volume above 5 and channel volume turned down while playing at lower levels , turned up it's gone anyway's
Quote by dspellman
You've got the <> sign going the wrong way. Head > $450 means that you want to pay MORE than $450. The sign goes $100 < $400 -- $100 "is less than" $400. Small part of the arrow toward the smaller figure.

The way we learned it in second grade is the < is an alligator and he always wants to eat the biggest number, so that's what his mouth is pointing to
Quote by ltmcgrew
I'm not so sure I trust Bugera after the dozens of stories about reliability issues.

Just get a used JSX then - that's what the 333XL is cloning. Well within your budget and it can rip along with good cleans. Peavey switched the name to XXX II if you want to look at that. Many of the new thrash bands use this now.
Quote by ltmcgrew

It does, but that's not what a Line Out is for, anyway. You don't plug that into a speaker cab. You'd just use the speaker output in the back of the combo. The same one going to the internal speaker. In fact, I'm pretty sure the 6505 has two speaker outputs, so you could use your cab AND the internal speaker, if you like.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I think the line out might disable the speaker output, not sure though. In any case you wouldn't really want to so that because you won't be getting any coloration from the guitar speaker, which means your sound will be far different through the PA than it would be otherwise (just miccing the amp).

Also a line out is not meant to drive a speaker cab. Plugging it in like that wouldn't even make sound, as a line out is not an amplified output (no power amp, at least).
Quote by ltmcgrew
So could I plug a cable through the line out into a DI and have the DI running through the PA and use the amp like a monitor?

Exactly, except that you don't even need the DI. Amp line out port straight into your PA. The PA sound won't be quite the same though, as it's using a different speaker, and also that signal isn't touched the power section of the guitar amp. Best way to get your amp sound through the PA is to mike the amp.
Quote by ltmcgrew
I just looked at GC and I didn't see the Nomad for $500.

It got sold probably, the carvin v3m is still an option(unless sold) with bright sounding speakers because its a very dark sounding amp. Not sure what speakers are in the cab you have, can always sell it and get something with two G12-75s in it.