Page 1 of 2
Hi all!

I have no idea if this has been asked before, but basically, the point of this thread is for users to give their favorite subgenre of metal, explain why it is their favorite and give their 3 favorite bands within that subgenre.

Okay, so my favorite subgenre would be Nu-Metal because... JUST KIDDING!!! Obviously.

In reality, my favorite metal subgenre would probably be death thrash/late 80's death metal , as in death metal that was musically a step up from normal thrash in terms of heaviness, but still sounded similar to thrash in terms of riffing.

I like it because it keeps the same riffing style as thrash whilst managing to be heavier, which I really like. Also, bands such as Exhorder and Death incorporated Groove and Progressive elements into their work respectively, which I really like (Slaughter in the Vatican is one of my favorite songs) and helped create Groove metal and Prog metal/Tech death respectively.

My favorite bands in this style

• Sepultura (To me, my favorite example of taking standard thrash one step higher)
  • Exhorder (I like how they were a standard thrash band at core, yet incorporated groove to make their songs even better. Became a standard groove band in the vein of Pantera with their 1992 album The Law)
  • Death (I just generally like the guitar work on Leprosy and Spiritual Healing)
Last edited by supertom1 at Nov 8, 2014,
Drone doom. Slow and heavy.

Favourite bands in the style would be Fulci, Echthros, Monarch!, Boris and Earth
Progressive death, cuz there's so much variety going on. You get heaviness, brutality, dynamics, melody, harmony, the whole progressive twist on all those things. Perfect package.

Bands such as: Fallujah, Opeth, Beyond Creation, The Faceless, Black Crown Initiate etc.
Sludge metal I guess? I like it because it's easy for it to incorporate other genres, like drone, crust punk, post hardcore and post rock, which can help keep the genre sounding interesting, especially when a lot of it tends to sound the same.

fav bands would be Eyehategod, Bongripper, Old Man Gloom
Quote by Kytokinesis
Steel is my favorite subgenre of metal.

That's actually a pretty good joke.
Prog and Doom. And any variation of that.

Though weirdly I've never found a good prog doom band.

I used to have a raging boner for Melodic Death Metal, but that's settled down over time.
Quote by The Wildchild
The Red in the Sky is Ours is my favourite subgenre of metal

BRUH
y u steel my reply?

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Vehemence is my favorite subgenre of metal.

you should go check out the tabs I submitted for a bunch of their songs then lol :O
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
you should go check out the tabs I submitted for a bunch of their songs then lol :O

Holy shit. You did, what appears to be, a good Christ, I ****ing Hate You tab. Mad props to that. I'll check it and others out once I get my Schecter back from my friend.
one of its drawbacks sometimes yeah. sometimes theyre good sometimes theyre not.

@morpho yeah theyre all pretty spot on Id say although some of the harmonies sound iffy on tab but playing along to it it was perfect. only a couple bits of fantasy from pain i still have a bit of doubts about. kinda pitch deaf when it comes to chords.

Cant take credit for all of the tabs I just finished a lot of missing riffs and and corrected a bunch of stuff :P (the right credit is given to the right people of course) I have an almost done tab to I Didn't Kill Her but I cant tab the second solo to save my life and couldnt figure out much of the last riffs :/ i technically just corrected an old text tab and another that surfaced of the intro + solo.
Quote by progbass
Progressive esque Doom? Like psychedelic doom metal?

Not really sure if it's the same thing. Love bands like Intronaut but I dunno if I'd call them Prog.
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
Cant take credit for all of the tabs I just finished a lot of missing riffs and and corrected a bunch of stuff :P (the right credit is given to the right people of course) I have an almost done tab to I Didn't Kill Her but I cant tab the second solo to save my life and couldnt figure out much of the last riffs :/ i technically just corrected an old text tab and another that surfaced of the intro + solo.

I know the first 3 minutes of I Didn't Kill Her, but once it gets to the fast, thrashy riffs I get lost. I remember there being an old tab of Christ, I ****ing Hate You on Rivers of Gore(or whatever it was called) and it got pretty close to the mark but was unfinished.

I've never had a problem with the lyrics, tbh. Really, only the title track and She Never Noticed Me have cringey lyrics as far as I'm concerned.
haha yeah i got most of the song just a bunch of riffs in the outro if you can figure out the second solo and the riffs surrouding it thatd be cool Ill pm you the tab later.

Ah yes, thats the tab I finished. the intro to that songs just god tier lol. but he never got around to finishing the rest. so I did. same with Fantasy From Pain. and Made For Her Jesus. CIFHY got a tad crazy there for a sec and I thought Id never get it but I did
This is not bad. Liking the riffing, really black metal-ish. Although Im just skipping through random parts of the album and I have yet to hear some heavy sludge riffs.
alright thanks mang, I'll try getting ahold of this album. Seems pretty good from what I've heard so far.
they're awesome. Husk and Hexis also do blackened hardcore. Lord Mantis and Dragged Into Sunlight do outright BM/sludge
Quote by The Wildchild
no they don't
elaborate

because what I'm hearing is a mix of the two with death influence too for DIS
Last edited by Banjocal at Nov 9, 2014,
Well hexis are BM influenced as fook. I can hear elements in LM and DIS enough to warrant a mention. More along how the likes of Nortt are influenced by but don't include more overt elements of the genre
I gotta chime in and ask where the black metal influence comes into play with Dragged Into Sunlight and Lord Mantis, outside of shriek-y vocals?
It's probably me following tags I see associated with them too much but I do hear comparisons in terms of the vocals, the progressions sound influenced to a degree etc but it's not my "area" so to speak I guess
Quote by supertom1
Sorry! Hadn't heard of them before and though he meant as in the actual, physical metal, not a band

Well in reality they are in fact a joke but I know lmao
Page 1 of 2