I wanted to get a tube amp but since I live in a college dorm.
It not ideal. Since to really get that tube to sound good usually means higher volume.
So I have decided to just play them with simulators on my computer and output with studio monitors.
I already have an interface (scarlett 2i4) and was wondering if there are any good recommendations for such thing under $300.
I might be getting a POD HD500x in the future also.
The only ones i have experience with are krk rokit 5s, which would run you about 200. They sound okay in my opinion. They definitely exaggerate your tone a bit, but I think I have them figured out. They can be as quiet or as loud as you want. And for the mean time, free amp sims and IRS can take you a long way

Edit: I think the krks (and a lot of other lower end monitors) sort of excite the low midrange to "enhance" the sound a bit. For mixing, its probably not desireable; but for a dormroom rocker like yourself, an "excited" tone might actually be more desireable than wrestling with total flat response speakers (which as far as I know, are hard to come by with your budget, but will reproduce your tone exactly as it comes into them).
Last edited by Watterboy at Nov 8, 2014,
+1 on the KRK. A nice monitor for the price. Also the M-Audio AV 40 is decent.

Placement of these is very important so if you get too much mid-bass, move them away from the wall some. Too thin sounding? Move them closer to the wall. Experiment until you find a balance to your liking.
I demoed the KRK Rokits vs the Yamaha HS series at guitar center and the yamaha's sounded better (at all speaker sizes). Unfortunately the yamaha's are out of your price range for a pair. The KRK's over-emphasized the low end and the Yamahas were much clearer overall. You get what you pay for :/

If you are planning on getting the monitors for ultra serious mixing/recording and analyzing I would avoid the KRK's, but if you want something that sounds good with your amp sims and is good for amateur recording, the price of the KRK's is tough to beat.

I'm also looking for monitors, but in my case, I decided I'm going to wait and save up for the Yamahas.
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Nov 8, 2014,
I'm using the KRK Rokit 8's for both keyboards and for Pod-based guitar. Current Gen3s are $249 each, but the previous G2s went for under $150 each about a year ago and should be available for less than that used.
The Yamahas are definitely better than the Rokits and you might be able to a pair of used HS50Ms for $300 or less.

Alternately, if *all* you're doing is playing guitar, you might consider buying a a single 8" monitor instead of a pair of 5s.
Quote by Cajundaddy
+1 on the KRK. A nice monitor for the price. Also the M-Audio AV 40 is decent.

Also look at the AV40's big brother, the Bx5a. They have bigger speakers and a bigger cabinet so they have better bass response than the AV40s. They are also higher wattage/louder, although it doesn't sound like SSS needs that. They are $300/pair standard price, but I've seen them on sale as low as $230.

The only caveat I'd have with monitors like these (KRK and Bx5a) is they tend to be very directional so unless you are sitting/standing in that "sweet spot" you will lose some fidelity. They will still sound better than most guitar amps in that price range though. They aren't ideal for live performances for this reason though.
Quote by bptrav

The only caveat I'd have with monitors like these (KRK and Bx5a) is they tend to be very directional so unless you are sitting/standing in that "sweet spot" you will lose some fidelity. They will still sound better than most guitar amps in that price range though. They aren't ideal for live performances for this reason though.

I'm not really hearing the "directionality" you're speaking of. We've tested the Rokits and we've got a pretty solid 120 degrees of dispersion at all frequencies. You're not going to achieve that with a single 12 combo, ever. All that said, I've got both pointed at my work (practice) position, just 'cause.

I've never seen nearfield recording monitors used for live performances; dunno if the OP was considering doing that. But it wouldn't be directionality that would prevent it.

There's a lot of religious hoo-hah that floats to the surface when people mention the words "recording monitors," and I'd suggest that you ignore 95% of it. Lots of "this one is better than that one.." Lots of "this brand is always..."

The Rokit 8s, for example, derive from the KRK VXT8 ($249 vs about $599) which in turn derive from the KRK Expose (about $2500 each). They all look pretty similar, with an 8" yellow-coned woofer and a smooth black plastic exterior.

I went with the Rokit 8's over the 5's because I don't have to run out and buy a subwoofer just to hear bass if I want to, and because I liked what they sounded like with the gear I was actually using. I don't buy according to someone else's claims. If you have a budget, find a place that's got a listening room and spend an afternoon making your own decision.
JBL LSR 305, Adam F5, Presonos E5 - these are also worth a listen
Last edited by cm0469 at Nov 8, 2014,
For lower volumes M-Audio AV series are nice. They don’t have much power in the low end, but that’s a good thing if you’re playing music and movies in a dorm. And guitar doesn’t hit frequencies that low anyway.

Some of Behringer’s monitors are clones of much expensive Roland monitors. You can do well with them if you do your homework.
I've narrowed down my choices to Yamaha HS50m and KRK Rokit 5.
anyone can give me more info on these two ?
Quote by sss880367

Time to take some tracks you like down and listen to them. I suspect either one could work fine so just trust your ears.
Quote by dspellman
I don't buy according to someone else's claims.
You do see the irony in that statement after giving all that advice don't you?
Quote by sss880367

Just go to guitar center and go to the recording equipment area. The GC near me has a bunch of monitors, including krk 5s, that you can plug an mp3 player into and listen and compare. If you listen and like you can buy right there, or go online and find a better price. You could direct record a vst or multifx guitar track on your computer, save it on your phone/mp3 player, and then see how it sounds on all the monitors.
I agree with the others. If you can find somewhere to test/hear them yourself that would be best. We all have certain biases and what may sound good to your ears/brain may not sound good for another person, or vice-versa.

Always keep in mind you can usually EQ them more to your liking as well.

Quote by dspellman
I'm not really hearing the "directionality" you're speaking of. We've tested the Rokits and we've got a pretty solid 120 degrees of dispersion at all frequencies. You're not going to achieve that with a single 12 combo, ever. All that said, I've got both pointed at my work (practice) position, just 'cause.

Well I've only done subjective tests, but even just standing up (from a sitting position with both monitors pointing at me) I notice a drop off in fidelity when listening to music. Everything just becomes a bit less clear and details are harder to pick out. As I said though, they still sound better than combo amps, especially in that price range (not to mention they have a lot more versatility for doing things other than playing guitar).

I don't really use mine for playing guitar through either (other than playing back some practice recordings). Perhaps it would be a lot less noticeable with a raw guitar sound than a heavy mixed/mastered studio recording.
Last edited by bptrav at Nov 9, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
You do see the irony in that statement after giving all that advice don't you?

Even as I wrote it.
So, I assume you're using these to not only monitor the amp simulators you're going to be running, but also to record and mix with?

KRK Rokits sound good and will be a wise choice if you're only concerned with the sound of the amp models coming out of them - not the accuracy of the sound they're reproducing. Rokits have a hyped low end with a scooped midrange. They're just about the least accurate monitors you can buy for mixing, but they are pleasant to listen through and will not fatigue your ears very quickly. The 8" speakers are the most balanced in the range, but they're also the most expensive (and better monitors can be had for the price).

The Yamaha monitors you're looking at are exponentially better if you're looking for accuracy in mixing. However, the small monitors are very lacking in bass and most people who use them are running the matching sub with them. They are extremely clear in the mid range and have a nice top end. However, you might find these to be less pleasing to the ear and not very good for listening for extended periods. I use a pair of HS80Ms with my recording setup and have never been happier, after downgrading from the top of the line Adams.

Other monitors in that price range worth looking at would be the Presonus Eris monitors, which IMO are the best balanced monitors in the smaller sizes. I didn't like them as much as the Yamahas in their larger sizes, but they were a lot better than the KRKs in all sizes. It's too bad you weren't looking last week - the Eris 8" monitors were $150/pair on Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day.

The Mackie MR series is also worth looking at. These speakers tend to get a bad rap for some reason, but I really like the 8" speakers and considered buying them at one point as a second pair to my Yamahas. I don't know that I've tried the smaller monitors before, so I can't really tell you how they'd stack up. These monitors do generally tend to have a more hyped lowend and scooped midrange, similar to the KRKs, but I find them to be far more clear and have a much better stereo image.

I've also always been intrigued by the Fostex PM6.4.1 speakers, but I've yet to be able to find them in a store so I can check them out. The design is something you won't really see until you get into some VERY expensive monitors, so I'm curious if their execution is even remotely good. MF just so happens to have a restock pair for $300, which is half off the normal price:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/fostex-pm6.4.1-6-3-way-studio-montior-pair/h89013002000000
Dude, stretch that budget a bit and you can get a pair of hs8's for $340 on ebay.
I did and they are great!