Yes, but you can't use the AC adapter that comes with it. You'll need a 230V one.
Quote by Ichabod Crane
If I buy a 9v pedal from America can I use it here in the uk?
Thanks in advance.

With a good step-down transformer you can run your whole rig on 110v just as you do in the states. Some smart 9VDC transformers will work well on 110 or 220. Check the specs first.
I should make it clear I live in the uk so I'm really just asking if it would be safe to use it.
thanks
^ Yes. As long as you either run it on battery or on a UK power supply (i.e. a power supply which you bought here).
I don't think he's travelling with it. All he needs is any half decent 9V power supply that will work on his mains. Please correct me if I'm wrong, TS.

And btw. There is a downside running everything through a step down transformer. The mains plugs on the gear are international standard IEC sockets. All that needs to happen for it all to go belly up is a sound guy or roady to plug the wrong power cable in and pfffft, game over.
I've seen it happen, man.
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 8, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
I don't think he's travelling with it. All he needs is any half decent 9V power supply that will work on his mains. Please correct me if I'm wrong, TS.

And btw. There is a downside running everything through a step up transformer. The mains plugs on the gear are international standard IEC sockets. All that needs to happen for it all to go belly up is a sound guy or roady to plug the wrong power cable in and pfffft, game over.
I've seen it happen, man.

That is why a "smart" pedal power supply is wise. It works everywhere. 110V 60hz, 220V, 240V 50hz, just plug it in and it gives you clean 9vdc. No muss, no fuss, no roadies blowing up your gear. It just works.
So your pedals get the right voltage? No help when you'r $3K amp is a smoking pile of junk sitting on the stage.
Quote by Cathbard
So your pedals get the right voltage? No help when you'r $3K amp is a smoking pile of junk sitting on the stage.

A bit crusty today Cath? He isn't asking about amp power. As he said he lives in the UK and wants to know if a USA 9vdc pedal will work there. The answer is "yes" if the power supply is designed to... see spec sheet. Some will and some won't. A One Spot will.

Roasting amplifiers because people fail to pay attention to details happens all the time as you well know and is just part of the game. I have fried my share mostly by running too many speakers (too low impedance) or clipping them into oblivion. I haven't fried one in over 20 years now because I learned from my earlier youthful mistakes.

Touring bands with road crews responsible for matching power supplies have to know what their source power is and what voltage they need to deliver to the amps and gear. Step up/step down transformers are a regular part of their road kit. Most of the guys I know are pretty good with a high success rate on world tours but every once in a while someone gets it wrong and lets the smoke out of an amp. Oops! That is what backup amps are for. Human error does happen.

Test the circuit first with a meter, then plug in the gear. It's pretty standard operating procedure on a pro tour and I recommend it to avoid amp BBQ syndrome.
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 8, 2014,
Yeah, I know. I was just explaining why relying on step down transformers can be a dangerous practice to get into. One day it will bite you in the arse. Those multi voltage supplies are a better solution. But in this case I don't think that is necessary either, he just needs a 230/9V supply. No need to confuse the issue.
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 8, 2014,
Thanks for all your replies. Yes I just play in the UK. I do actually have a one spot power supply but I mainly use a t rex junior fuel tank. Either way you've answered my question & for that I thank you very much.
cheers.
Andy