I want to get some funky synth in my music and don't know whether I need a midi key board or synthesizer?

I am going for something along the lines of the Killers' sound in "Somebody Told Me". I would be totally new to keys though so I am not sure how hard it would be - I will most like keep it simple. Also wouldn't mind producing drum sounds on keys too.

Can anyone recommend anything?
I play both keys and guitar/bass.
There are several basic *kinds* of keyboards out there these days.
Two of them are the "arranger" and the "workstation." And there are lots of overlaps.

Arrangers have a lot of things built into them for performance, including things like drum patterns, "styles," individual instruments, groups of instruments and a lot of other synth goodies. A typical arranger would be the Korg PA series (PA 600, PA 800, PA3X Pro, etc.). The PA3X, for example, even has built in TC Electronics VoiceLive technology to add vocal harmonies, etc.

Workstations have more sounds and sound engines, and are generally less performance oriented and more recording oriented. The Korg Kronos X is typical.

There are notable overlaps. Both the PA and the Kronos series for example, have 16-track sequencers (recording) built into the boards; you can essentially cut your own backing tracks.

LOTS more.

If you just want a sort of "beginner" rig, however, a small MIDI keyboard and some synth packages on your computer will do.
Quote by dspellman
I play both keys and guitar/bass.
There are several basic *kinds* of keyboards out there these days.
Two of them are the "arranger" and the "workstation." And there are lots of overlaps.

Arrangers have a lot of things built into them for performance, including things like drum patterns, "styles," individual instruments, groups of instruments and a lot of other synth goodies. A typical arranger would be the Korg PA series (PA 600, PA 800, PA3X Pro, etc.). The PA3X, for example, even has built in TC Electronics VoiceLive technology to add vocal harmonies, etc.

Workstations have more sounds and sound engines, and are generally less performance oriented and more recording oriented. The Korg Kronos X is typical.

There are notable overlaps. Both the PA and the Kronos series for example, have 16-track sequencers (recording) built into the boards; you can essentially cut your own backing tracks.

LOTS more.

If you just want a sort of "beginner" rig, however, a small MIDI keyboard and some synth packages on your computer will do.

Can you suggest a beginner unit? Definitely don't need it for performance yet.
they are really cheap, but look into a micro korg. i play piano (mainly classical and some Elton john), but i have a lot of fun messing with synths. learning on the small form is easy. it has the vocorder too. i still learn things about it every day and i got it last Christmas from my girl