I have heard some people say it's an accessible instrument yet I have also heard that retention is very low.
Cause they are better at golf.

Learning to play any instrument requires some natural ability, patience, determination, practice, disappointment, more practice, some success, more practice. We live in an instant gratification world and music learning doesn't offer much of that. You actually have to work at it for some time.
Most begin just to be a part of the system, but they don't last long... To never quit is to be born a guitarist. It's in the blood.
Quote by Cajundaddy
...requires some natural ability, patience, determination, practice, disappointment, more practice, some success, more practice.

To complete this obstacle course requires an end-goal. If you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel, why bother?
Agreed. You have to want it bad enough to apply yourself. Not a popular thing these days.
When I teach a friend who wants to learn to play I tell them practice 30 minutes a day EVERY day and you will learn something. Any less and you will never progress and end up sticking it in the closet to be forgotten.
Because the experts make it look easy (as in anything) and it ain't! It takes just three things to improve - practice, practice and even more practice and there's still gonna be room for improvement
To quote Hank Williams Jr. "Some of us are born with it, Some of us will never get, thank god I'm a guitar man!" Nah its hard work lol
Quote by mabbamam
To quote Hank Williams Jr. "Some of us are born with it, Some of us will never get, thank god I'm a guitar man!" Nah its hard work lol

It really is hard work.
They simply lost interest in guitar ? They are lazy ? Lack motivation ? Lack the finance ? Too many other commitments ?
Its super frustrating especially at first. You have no coordination and get discouraged when you see/hear someone who seems to play so effortlessly. I almost quit at first too but have been playing consistently for 2 years and couldn't imagine not playing now. I really feel alive when I have a guitar in my hands. There's no better feeling then hearing and seeing legit progress in your playing. Never give up because you will regret it!!