I'm looking for a fairly versatile reverb pedal to use for clean/gritty passages, and for making my lead lines a bit more full, and not as dry sounding.

I'm playing through a Mesa Boogie Mark V, which does have a good built in reverb, but it isnt as versatile as I'd like it to be, and I'd also like to use the reverb for slightly "spacier" textures. I do also have a 15watt Engl that I'd like to use the reverb with too. I'd like to aim for a Sreven Wilson/Porcupine Tree kind of vibe.

Budget is preferably about $150. The TC Electronic Hall of Fame is a front runner right now, but I'd like to see what other options are available.

Thanks guys.
I have a Hall of Fame and I love it. It's a good base pedal for figuring out what kind of reverb sounds you really like.

My only other suggestions would be an Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Max or Plus. They're 100% analog reverbs and also feature a variety of options, but not nearly as many as the HoF. You may also be able to get a used Cathedral for about $150, which has even more options available. It's like a super Holy Grail.
Quote by Offworld92
Hardwire RV-7
Line 6 Verbzilla / M5

Why those two Offworld? Is the Verbzilla much better than the Hall of Fame? And would the Digitech Supernatural be better than the RV-7?
i have the PGS trinity verb which is a modified HOF. but yeah those all rock.
I haven't had any experience with the Hall of Fame reverb.

But I have heard and seen The Descent from Walrus Audio, and she is gorgeous. Along with the standard reverb stuff, she has a shimmer and reverse modulation, and some other stuff as well.

Edit: Just saw your budget, whoops. Check her out anyways D I'd go with the HOF as everyone else seems to suggest it.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 8, 2014,
i have heard of bad switches in some TC products (especially the ditto) that it would turn me a way. you can't replace the switch on the TC's as far as i know, i don't know if its because the part is available or anything though. i don't own so i can't say i have had it, but i have heard it a few times.

EXH catherdral
strymon blue sky off the top of my head.
I had the EHX Cathedral for a few years and really enjoyed, but recently switched to the Malekko Spring Chicken because the dwell knob can take it from mild to insane, it has a great spring reverb sound, and you can hook up an expression pedal too.

The Malekko is what I recommend if you want a really nice spring reverb, the Cathedral if you want something really versatile. Strymon blue sky is awesome but the price tag has prevented me from trying it out
Quote by nick.culliton
I have a Hall of Fame and I love it. It's a good base pedal for figuring out what kind of reverb sounds you really like.

My only other suggestions would be an Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Max or Plus. They're 100% analog reverbs and also feature a variety of options, but not nearly as many as the HoF. You may also be able to get a used Cathedral for about $150, which has even more options available. It's like a super Holy Grail.

I would guess all of the reverb pedals sold today are digital. Holy Grail is digital (it even says so on the EHX website). But digital doesn't mean worse, it means a lot more variety.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I would guess all of the reverb pedals sold today are digital. Holy Grail is digital (it even says so on the EHX website). But digital doesn't mean worse, it means a lot more variety.

I wonder why I thought they were analog. I must have read a description/review wrong. My bad, TS!
Quote by AWACS
Why those two Offworld? Is the Verbzilla much better than the Hall of Fame? And would the Digitech Supernatural be better than the RV-7?

Not particularly, but they sound good and they're TC alternatives. I think the HoF sounds pretty good personally, but I don't like to support TC because of their history of customer service and the questionable quality of their pedals. That said Line 6 pedals have their own design flaws besides the HD500X. But they don't seem to fail as fast as TC pedals. Eh.

I'm mostly used to reverb in terms of shimmer/modulation for soundscapes or general shoegaze type stuff. Not really super well versed in normal/subtle reverb uses.

I forgot about the Malekko Spring Chicken that was mentioned above, that's a good one if you just want a simple reverb box with a straightforward sound.
I once took quite a bit of time googling for those famous "failed switches" and I found almost nothing concrete, 95% were the "I kind of heard of a guy who said his uncle had a TC pedal where the switch broke after he jumped on it on stage" type of stories. That was when I was looking for a reverb pedal myself and decided I see no reason not to get the Hall of Fame in the end.

I also dealt with their customer service myself a few times and have nothing except very good things to say about it.

I'd say don't take such stories into account and just pick the pedal you like the most.
i read a lot of horror stories on TC's switches. then the switch on my ditto carked out. got it replaced under warranty by the store i bought it from, and passed it on. no more TC for me.

OP, i have the hardwire rv-7, and it's great. the diff between the rv-7 and the supernatural, apart from a few different modes, is the rv-7 can be dialed to be quite subtle, whilst the supernatural is bigger, spacier, and more ambient.
Quote by TheLiberation
I once took quite a bit of time googling for those famous "failed switches" and I found almost nothing concrete, 95% were the "I kind of heard of a guy who said his uncle had a TC pedal where the switch broke after he jumped on it on stage" type of stories. That was when I was looking for a reverb pedal myself and decided I see no reason not to get the Hall of Fame in the end.

I also dealt with their customer service myself a few times and have nothing except very good things to say about it.

I'd say don't take such stories into account and just pick the pedal you like the most.

Try googling "TC electronics sucks" or "TC electronics problems" for a couple of people discussing their personal negative experiences.

The general vibe was that the pedals sounded great and generally worked, but if something went wrong, Customer Service was...less than stellar. Some also described pedals that did not work as advertised or only worked in certain conditions.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 10, 2014,
Sorry Danny, the Reverberator is a bit too pricey for my blood. Whats the general opinion on the Boss RV-3? I've read that its supposed to be more "musical" than the RV-5. From one youtube video it sounded pretty decent with "standard" sounds and "not-so-standard" sounds.

And what are your guys' thoughts on the Strymon Flint?
the HoF is a great pedal. I personally like the HoF mini. Simple one knob to control how much reverb I want without the 3 other knobs to give me a headache. and it has the toneprint tech which is pretty cool. its also quite cheaper.
The Hardwire Supernatural is a good recomendation but from my experience it doesn't do subtle well. It's an awesome pedal for experimenting with sounds rather than just adding a "touch" of reverb.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Try googling "TC electronics sucks" or "TC electronics problems" for a couple of people discussing their personal negative experiences.

The general vibe was that the pedals sounded great and generally worked, but if something went wrong, Customer Service was...less than stellar. Some also described pedals that did not work as advertised or only worked in certain conditions.

I googled several such phrases and the general idea I got was what I said above, i.e. usually really weird explanations or the exact same approach as above of "I heard horror stories and had ONE malfunction, so I got rid of all their pedals". I never have been able to actually find the "source" stories of people actually having experience with the pedals and some major/common issues. One case does not convince me, show me a single company mass-producing anything that never screws up.

And the guitarists (the sheer number and some of the actual names) that actually use their stuff on stage (i.e. I saw TC pedals on their pedalboards) convince me a lot more than random stories that barely hold together... Somehow I doubt they'd use a Flashback and a HoF in front of a few thousand people if they were worried they may suddenly explode.
I have been looking at the hall of fame as well.....not sure. I have an RV-5 right now and I see a lot of people like it, but I don't think it is all that good. There are better and cheaper pedals than it out there. The tone print ability is pretty cool as well--I think you can make your own with the HOF--opening up big possibilities.

I wish that big sky pedal from strymon was a little cheaper. I would be interested to see if the tone print editor leaves you with the ability to create similar sounds as found on that big sky.
Both of those phrases will get you specific, personal accounts, including at least one from the primary moderator of another prominent guitar site.
Quote by TheLiberation
I never have been able to actually find the "source" stories of people actually having experience with the pedals and some major/common issues. One case does not convince me, show me a single company mass-producing anything that never screws up.

i did a quick search for you. here are some first-hand accounts.

I purchased my Flashback new and after a week it stopped working. I had to send it back to TC.
Piece of advice, go easy on the foot switch.

I've just gotten 2 defective Flashback pedals in a row. # 1 had a defective footswitch, and # 2 (the replacement pedal, which just showed up 15 minutes ago) appears to have a defective mono input jack.

Within a year I had a Corona, Hall of Fame, 2 Flashback X4's, and 2 Polytunes go bad on me. It was either problems with switches, software glitches, and poor build quality. I know every manufacturer can roll out a lemon now and then, but it was enough to steer me away from TC Electronic for good.

TC Electronics failed me big time. Then they want the price of a new pedal to fix it, because they can't fix their own switches. You courier them your broken switch pedal, they throw it away, they charge you close to the price of a new pedal, and ship the new pedal back. So every time a TC switch fails, get out your wallet and buy a new pedal. All over a $3 wear part. The don't stock the switches, and they will even refuse to tell you what the switch even is.

follow up quote (same user): http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=15063744&postcount=39

Switches are a wear part, meaning they wear out with use, and will need to be replaced. No big deal. But to make pedals that when the wear part wears (for me my TC pedal was glitchy and the switch broke shortly after a year) the pedal is scrap is like making a car that is scrap after the tread is worn off the tires. I will NEVER buy a TC Electronics pedal EVER again after how I was treated.

X4...bought it, tried it loved it, put it in the box, built my Pedalboard, put the x4 on.. 2 hrs later the "a" switch went bonkers.. Super bummed

Flashback X4 "A" switch quit working a few months after I bought the pedal 2nd hand. It's sitting in a drawer waiting for me to build up the initiative to try and fix it. TC E was zero help whatsoever.

The switch on my Ditto Looper doesn't work properly (sometimes it takes me about two minutes to get the thing to turn off). The situation is a shame because I really like it as a pedal but I won't buy from TC again.

TC HOF, new, within a month. Fortunately it was within a month, so I was able to return it. Since I had already read reports about the footswitch being a problem, I did the return instead of an exchange, because I couldn't chance it happening again. I had already read reports of others have the same issue.
I bought my HOF used and it works great. It's been in my possession for about 3 months. My Polytune 2 was new and I have had no problems with that. I've had it for about 9 months.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i did a quick search for you. here are some first-hand accounts.

I remember that specific thread. One guy there summed it up best:
In my opinion, this is a witch hunt that failed.

That thread runs for over a year and also has a mix of complaints about various switches. And seriously, when you read something like this:
Within a year I had a Corona, Hall of Fame, 2 Flashback X4's, and 2 Polytunes go bad on me.

Come on... seriously? Reminds me of a guy I knew who complained that Ernie Ball strings are crap and they keep breaking above the bridge. When I saw him play and his ridiculously heavy picking I was no longer surprised why that happened. Miraculously, I think it kept happening when he switched to D'addario.

I don't want to sound like some uber TC fanboy (I like their stuff a lot and none of their pedals failed me so far, but that won't stop me from always looking at all options when getting new pedals), but this has a pretty poor base imo (set up a thread about failures of pedals of any other large brand, I'm pretty sure in a year you're going to get a 7-page thread without problems). Also, if this was actually a serious issue, this thread wouldn't be only the second time ever I saw someone mention it, while I've seen a lot especially of reverb and delay pedal-related discussions. QC issues of this magnitude have a lot more power if they're actually serious and common. (For an example I've seen often on this forum, write "cheaper B.C. Rich guitars" and see what happens.)

I see no point dragging this any further - make up your own mind, but imo this is nowhere above "rumour" tier.
Quote by TheLiberation
I remember that specific thread. One guy there summed it up best:

That thread runs for over a year and also has a mix of complaints about various switches. And seriously, when you read something like this:

Come on... seriously? Reminds me of a guy I knew who complained that Ernie Ball strings are crap and they keep breaking above the bridge. When I saw him play and his ridiculously heavy picking I was no longer surprised why that happened. Miraculously, I think it kept happening when he switched to D'addario.

I don't want to sound like some uber TC fanboy (I like their stuff a lot and none of their pedals failed me so far, but that won't stop me from always looking at all options when getting new pedals), but this has a pretty poor base imo (set up a thread about failures of pedals of any other large brand, I'm pretty sure in a year you're going to get a 7-page thread without problems). Also, if this was actually a serious issue, this thread wouldn't be only the second time ever I saw someone mention it, while I've seen a lot especially of reverb and delay pedal-related discussions. QC issues of this magnitude have a lot more power if they're actually serious and common. (For an example I've seen often on this forum, write "cheaper B.C. Rich guitars" and see what happens.)

I see no point dragging this any further - make up your own mind, but imo this is nowhere above "rumour" tier.

yes you do look like some TC fanboy by sweepingly dismissing these accounts, and my account. enjoy your pedals.
The Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender reverb is worth taking a look at too if you are going to be playing mostly cleanish stuff. It doesn't play nicely with distortion though.

Hall of Fame and Holy Grail are the best sounding pedals in that price range IMO, but neither of them have the most durable switches based on customer reviews/reports. Boss pedals are generally very durable, but their RV-3 and RV-5 pedals don't sound very good to my ears, which is sort of the whole point of getting a pedal in the first place.