Poll Options
View poll results: Which is worse?
Working too much
24 34%
Unemployment
47 66%
Voters: 71.
Page 1 of 4
Both are awful feelings, which is worse?

Working too much is really sucky because you are constantly feeling drained after long shifts. It gets pretty bad in winter when sometimes you can start work when it's dark, and then by the times you've finished, it's still dark. That's a pretty bad feeling, and missing out on social events because of late hours. On the upside, you're earning money and keeping yourself busy which is good.

On the other hand, being unemployed is a different type of being drained. You have all the time of the world however you have nothing to do with your time. Applying for jobs is your job. Getting some kind of routine or even reason to get out of bed is hard and it's possible to spend entire days indoors. You can't spend money because you're not earning any and when you do have to spend money you feel guilty. It's also pretty poo. But your time is your own and you do have all day to exercise, or learn some new skills.
If you're an adult there's really no choice. unemployment is a billion times worse.
Quote by So-Cal
or you know something in between

Having a balance between working loads and good amounts of free time sounds perfection.
I'd rather be unemployed but being responsible for myself and others doesn't really allow that.

Working a lot can suck, but at least it is rewarding.

And yea it doesn't have to be either of those extremes. My job's pretty decent like that.
It depends for me.

Working too much can suck when you have an illness that doesn't require hospitalization but it still drains you.
No competition, unemployed.

I have multiple jobs including full time, contracts, etc. When I'm not busy making money I feel sad and empty.

#datgreed
Being unemployed is the worst thing in the world so pretty much every option whether that means working too much or working as a street hooker is better.

And applying and getting rejected from jobs sucks mega balls.
Last edited by Duffman123 at Nov 8, 2014,
Quote by Duffman123
Being unemployed is the worst thing in the world so pretty much every option whether that means working too much or working as a street hooker is better.

I love getting rejected from jobs because at least they've bothered to respond to my application
I got rejected from working at Asda for 6 months because I didn't answer their online questionnaire according to their standards. Cheeky kunts.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I love getting rejected from jobs because at least they've bothered to respond to my application

applying is for noobs

you need to have friends get you in

I'm pretty sure half of all jobs posted publicly are already filled internally. The other half is processed by software that filter out 99% of all applications since they don't contain the magic keyword it's looking for.
Quote by Duffman123

not if ur a full time student
Working too much. It's killing me, probably literally (never getting any sleep at all cuz it's physically impossible to ever actually adapt to a night shift schedule). And having mental health problems and having to work can be really ****ing difficult. And I never have any ****ing time to do anything.

I never really got be a NEET and I'm bummed about it.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Working too much. It's killing me, probably literally (never getting any sleep at all cuz it's physically impossible to ever actually adapt to a night shift schedule)

What. No it isn't.
Quote by Xiaoxi
applying is for noobs

you need to have friends get you in

I'm pretty sure half of all jobs posted publicly are already filled internally. The other half is processed by software that filter out 99% of all applications since they don't contain the magic keyword it's looking for.

Yeah I'm aware of this but how the **** do you get an in then? At the moment I'm just flinging shit (my CV) at the wall (jobs I see advertised) and seeing what sticks (very little).

I've had 3 interviews, all unsuccessful so at least I know my cover letter/CV isn't bad...but yeah it sucks arse.
It is for me and that's all that matters considering this entire thread is based around personal experience.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
It is for me and that's all that matters considering this entire thread is based around personal experience.

Ok, didn't know if you thought it was a human rule or something.
Quote by steve_muse
not if ur a full time student

Stackin up dem loans, enjoying dat student debt $$$
Oh, and serving in a restaurant means I come home wit guap erry night so if I have a week where I work like 50 hours I probably got a g in cash in my pocket
Quote by Duffman123
Stackin up dem loans, enjoying dat student debt $$$

don't even need to think about it til I get a job that pays over 20 grand or something
I work 4 to midnight five days a week; though it is draining at times, when payday comes around I'm not really complaining.

Besides, I want to get out of my house anyway.
Quote by steve_muse
don't even need to think about it til I get a job that pays over 20 grand or something

Isn't 20 grand like entry level or am I wildly overestimating what I should be getting paid when I get a job
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Isn't 20 grand like entry level or am I wildly overestimating what I should be getting paid when I get a job

No, it's pretty low and/or "entry level" for a full time job
Quote by steve_muse

This is true tho.

Students need to stop their bloody whinging because they're only going to pay back their loans if they earn good money so it's not applicable to the 99% stacking shelves.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

I know money is all different over there, but 20k pounds is like 32k $ which would be like around what I make right now working in a restaurant. So yeah, unless ya'll are undepaid as fuk.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Maybe it's more I dunno
I make like $10k a year and I work in the state with the highest minimum wage wooooooooooooooooo i hate capitalism
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I make like $10k a year and I work in the state with the highest minimum wage wooooooooooooooooo i hate capitalism

So you just don't work that much? Because full timeat a $9/hr min wage would be almost 19k.
Quote by steve_muse
For sure I've no complaints. were u not at uni?

That's because you're a good guy

Haven't quite made it to uni yet, will get there someday though lol
Quote by Dreadnought
No, it's pretty low and/or "entry level" for a full time job

Yeah I'm looking at £18-24k jobs to start with. If I move out it'll have to be on the higher end of that range, if I stay with my parents it can be lower.

What's annoying is jobs advertising in that salary range (especially as graduate) and wanting 2 years of previous experience already. Seriously? I get that you want someone who is experienced but I just don't where I'm going to get this 2 years experience in an industry from that the entry levels jobs are asking for (regarding lab work BTW, trying to spin that my degree is the 2 years of experience for most applications)
Quote by EndTheRapture51

min wage is 6.50 an hour
times 40 hours a week is 260
times 52 weeks a year is 13520
Yeah I worked full time for a year earning 6.50 an hour and I sure didn't earn 20 grand haha. Take tax away and you're walking away with 11 or so grand.
Quote by So-Cal
min wage is 6.50 an hour
times 40 hours a week is 260
times 52 weeks a year is 13520

Where is minimum wage 6.50?

Also I'm assuming that's gross and not net so it's probably lower
Page 1 of 4