I have an Ibanez HSH Mohogany body Alder neck bolt on running through Randall Diavlo 5 watt with some fuzz, eq, and wah.

I'm looking for an HSH set that'll use the humbuckers for Vai/Pettruci shred and Anthrax/Slayer chugging. Than a single coil that i could switch to for Vaughan/Hendrix stuff.

So after scouring the Internet I've decided on an duncan alternative 8 for bridge, dimarzio chopper in the middle, and black winter neck

What do you think?
probably a maple neck?

I haven't tried any of those you've listed, but I play a fair amount of that type of stuff and they wouldn't be the ones I'd pick.

for the bridge i'd probably consider a dimarzio evo 2, duncan distortion (better for the thrash, not so good for the shred) or a custom 5 or regular (ceramic) custom probably.

neck i'm guessing would be mainly leads, so maybe a dimarzio paf pro or air norton. probably jazz if you want a duncan.

for the middle i'd go for a regular "real" single coil for hendrix and srv. probably a duncan SSL2. I'm not as well up on the dimarzio singles. In fact I prefer the virtual vintages to the (very few) real single coils they do. I've only tried the older versions (they replaced them a few years ago; that goes for the regular singles too) but i'd guess either a vintage blues or vintage heavy blues 2. the areas might be worth a look too but i haven't tried them.

As I said, I haven't tried every pickup in existence so there may well be better options. and those suggestions are assuming you want to stick to dimarzio and duncan.
Quote by Dave_Mc
probably a maple neck?

I haven't tried any of those you've listed, but I play a fair amount of that type of stuff and they wouldn't be the ones I'd pick.

for the bridge i'd probably consider a dimarzio evo 2, duncan distortion (better for the thrash, not so good for the shred) or a custom 5 or regular (ceramic) custom probably.

neck i'm guessing would be mainly leads, so maybe a dimarzio paf pro or air norton. probably jazz if you want a duncan.

for the middle i'd go for a regular "real" single coil for hendrix and srv. probably a duncan SSL2. I'm not as well up on the dimarzio singles. In fact I prefer the virtual vintages to the (very few) real single coils they do. I've only tried the older versions (they replaced them a few years ago; that goes for the regular singles too) but i'd guess either a vintage blues or vintage heavy blues 2. the areas might be worth a look too but i haven't tried them.

As I said, I haven't tried every pickup in existence so there may well be better options. and those suggestions are assuming you want to stick to dimarzio and duncan.

TS, if your amp isn't up for the task, neither will the pickup upgrade be up to the task. I haven't heard a Randall Diavlo 5 watter.

I'd put an Air Norton by Dimarzio in the neck, that's what I have. Other than that, Liquifire, Illuminator and Evolution are good pickups too. If Duncan, '59 (4-conductor) model for the neck. Why 4-conductor? Well, if you want maximum versatility and little bit of "single-coil" sound, although it's not authentic, you'll want to be able to do that.
For the bridge I can't really recommend anything enough than Steve's Special or Illuminator by Dimarzio. More shred but not necessarily aimed for thrash, Evolution or Gravity Storm by Dimarzio. If you want Duncan, then maybe go for Pegasus, SH-5 or SH-6.
For the single I'd go for Dimarzio Area 67. If you want Duncan, maybe SSL-2, as Dave suggests.

Look Dave, we got many the same.
Last edited by Sakke at Nov 9, 2014,
It's also worth considering using a push/pull pot to coil split your humbuckers into singles. Then you'll have 3 singles to play with....
Quote by Sakke

Look Dave, we got many the same.

LOL

I haven't tried most of the ones you suggested which weren't the same, maybe if I'd tried them I'd have recommended them too

And good call on the 4-conductor thing, if he wants the humbuckers to autosplit he's going to need that.
Quote by Dave_Mc
LOL

I haven't tried most of the ones you suggested which weren't the same, maybe if I'd tried them I'd have recommended them too

And good call on the 4-conductor thing, if he wants the humbuckers to autosplit he's going to need that.

I've tried all that I recommended except Illuminator and Gravity Storm, but they sound to me a lot better than their "previous" versions, CrunchLab and Evolution respectively. Although, anything what internet demos can tell, Gravity Storm is voiced a bit more different from Evolution than Illuminator is from CrunchLab. That's how far my ear goes anyways. Internet demos tell you so much and yet so little, always best if you get to test on your own through your own amp in peace.

Yep, all Dimarzio humbuckers come as 4-conductor (AFAIK) but all Duncans don't, for example the standard '59.
^ yeah, internet demos are a lot better than nothing, especially if you know what to look out for (and ignore the marketing hype), but it's always better if you can try it yourself with your own gear, as you said.