I've had a really shitty cut on my main index finger for literally, over a year now. It's sort of a deep one so no matter how much it looks strong, if I play guitar for a bit it used to reopen and get REALLY sore. It pretty much caused me to stop playing for long periods of time... worst finger to have it.

Lately i've been putting on a super sticky bandaid, and some electrical tape around it to be able to play. It works pretty good, I can play it without it getting bad again.. it's only been a couple weeks.

It's not as good obviously as skin and I look forward to a couple months when this thing is healed proper.

But is there any type of things that i can buy to put over the tip like maybe an inch deep? I was thinking a thimble for sewing.. but i'd need one that was rubber or had a grip to it..

Is there anything out there that would work better? Tony Iommi signature fingertips perhaps?
Well, I know ERs and other medical facilities will use superglue/liquid band aids as a kind of stitch less stitch for minor cuts. Combine that with something like the rubber fingertip covers used in mail rooms & offices- or your makeshift solutions- and you could be OK.

Examples:
www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11896073&pla=pla_13479195&mr:referralID=eaab149e-67c3-11e4-ab7a-001b2166c62d&camp=PLAPPC-_-PID13479195&KPID=13479195

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/964494/Swingline-Rubber-Fingertips-13-34-Diameter/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Mailing_Shipping_Envelopes-_-964494-VQ6-41150378996-VQ16t-VQ17-pla-VQ18-online-VQ19-964494-VQ20-75212544356-VQ21-

However, a cut- especially a minor one- that won't heal could be a sign of something more serious. You might want to see a doctor.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 8, 2014,
I've went to the doctor. It's more like dry skin that won't turn back into normal flexible skin.

I've tried SO many creams, liquid bandaid, vitamin e cream, some that a doctor prescribed but it just refuses to fully heal. The fingerprint on the tip is almost gone now. It's slowly coming back now but it still doesn't feel strong to be able to use it..

I heal fast, other cuts.. tattoos, all heal fast. Just this.. it's strange and I don't want it to stop me from playing for weeks again.

I'm thinking this may work good..
http://www.goldendragon.com.sg/images/Patchwork/Rubber_thimble.jpg
An open finger wound for over a year is called an infection. If you would like to keep your main index finger for guitar playing in the future, see a doctor pronto and get it healed. Otherwise the gangrene will set in at some point and that is a party you don't want to be invited to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangrene
it wasn't open it is just so dry that the skin would flake and peel, get caught in pockets or everything really.

It's not that bad anymore, but the skin still feels thin at the tip and i wouldn't want to go to town on it now cause it's so close to being better.
I'd explore drums or even cowbells in the meantime.

Your gear will still be there by the time you heal, yea? Or you might discover that you love drums or cowbells ... who knows.
Quote by Ippon
I'd explore drums or even cowbells in the meantime.

Your gear will still be there by the time you heal, yea? Or you might discover that you love drums or cowbells ... who knows.

ippon triangle or tambourines. thats where its at.
I just use super glue or gorilla glue on my deep cuts. My wife is a doctor but won't suture them.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I just use super glue or gorilla glue on my deep cuts. My wife is a doctor but won't suture them.

That's a good temporary fix, but you can develop some nasty sensitivities if you use it long-term.
+1 to the super glue, I have done this on more than one occasion

And something is seriously wrong if a cut hasn't healed in a year, go to the doctor.
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 9, 2014,
Just let it heal. 3 weeks of not playing is better than 2 years of what you're going through now.
super glue I wouldn't of ever tried..
for some reason I still don't want too! hah

Getting some thimbles tomorrow will see how they work.. it may not be as good as I'm thinking. The current fix is certainly allowing me finger to heal but I still feel like it'll take a few weeks or month for me want to try.

I may try buying them finger cots too if I see them! i been wondering if something like that exists..
WELL just quick update on this issue.

Had enough!

It was healing pretty well then i lifted ONE damn pail by the cover at work last night... cracked almost open again. The main index finger. Meanwhile two other fingers and both thumbs are on their way to the same situation. Can't leave it be anymore.

I was pissed when it just split. ONE DAMN light pail.

So all night i did research on the symptoms and if other ppl have it. Turns out alot of people do.

Looks like it might be fissures caused by slight eczema. I've left it for over a year now and that's probably (actually obviously) why it's at this critical point.

I've seen a few pictures and the symptoms and everything being said about hand eczema is whats happening to my fingertips. But ONLY the fingertips.. i have the issue on no other parts of my hand or body. And I never get the itchyness described.. just peeling and cracking and major pain. To write with a pen or grab something is just constant pain. Can imagine guitar or bass strings.. and when I play I don't even notice what it's doing until I stop.

Looks almost identical to this when it gets bad..

Made a doc appt for next Tuesday (doctor in one damn day a week!) and went to buy 100$ worth of stuff to try to get this under control.

Vasaline, Aveeno intense, moisturizing soap, GAW DAMN liquid bandaid.. shit load of cotton gloves.

Also bought half-wound bass strings. When i think about when it first started getting bad it was about the time i played alot more bass, so thinking the strings might not be helping. Never changed em.. so got these new ones with half flat wound. Should be a little easier on the tips of fingers..

Cross your beautiful healthy fingers for me! I can't handle the limitations this has done to me musically.
You may have to take a hiatus... There was a guy who did what you are doing now (playing through pain) and his condition became much worse... and chronic.....

EDIT
He had a nickel allergy, but the symptoms seem to be pretty similar.
Last edited by JGM258 at Dec 22, 2014,
Quote by DEV_L
WELL just quick update on this issue.

Had enough!

It was healing pretty well then i lifted ONE damn pail by the cover at work last night... cracked almost open again. The main index finger. Meanwhile two other fingers and both thumbs are on their way to the same situation. Can't leave it be anymore.

I was pissed when it just split. ONE DAMN light pail.

So all night i did research on the symptoms and if other ppl have it. Turns out alot of people do.

Looks like it might be fissures caused by slight eczema. I've left it for over a year now and that's probably (actually obviously) why it's at this critical point.

I've seen a few pictures and the symptoms and everything being said about hand eczema is whats happening to my fingertips. But ONLY the fingertips.. i have the issue on no other parts of my hand or body. And I never get the itchyness described.. just peeling and cracking and major pain. To write with a pen or grab something is just constant pain. Can imagine guitar or bass strings.. and when I play I don't even notice what it's doing until I stop.

Looks almost identical to this when it gets bad..

Made a doc appt for next Tuesday (doctor in one damn day a week!) and went to buy 100$ worth of stuff to try to get this under control.

Vasaline, Aveeno intense, moisturizing soap, GAW DAMN liquid bandaid.. shit load of cotton gloves.

Also bought half-wound bass strings. When i think about when it first started getting bad it was about the time i played alot more bass, so thinking the strings might not be helping. Never changed em.. so got these new ones with half flat wound. Should be a little easier on the tips of fingers..

Cross your beautiful healthy fingers for me! I can't handle the limitations this has done to me musically.

When I was in high school, my step brothers hands got that way from all the cleaning chemicals used for washing dishes and he figured out it was Eczema.

My son has bad eczema if we don't take appropriate action especially this time of year.
Ask you doctor about Mometasone cream .1%, Mupirocin 2% cream and Fluocinolone Acetonide .01% topical oil

This is what my son gets and it makes a world of a difference
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I got about a week n half hiatus coming up due to holidays. Going to try to stay off it as much as possible these weeks and up my hand care huge. Doc next Tuesday unless this mysteriously helps alot in the next few days.
One guy at the music store said if it were eczema it would be red patches and blisters and itching. I have none of that, just the dryness/cracking and unable to heal and form a callus anymore. He says it's def not eczema then.

But then again, he works at a music store..
Can't take his doctor diagnosis 100% hah
Quote by DEV_L
I got about a week n half hiatus coming up due to holidays. Going to try to stay off it as much as possible these weeks and up my hand care huge. Doc next Tuesday unless this mysteriously helps alot in the next few days.
One guy at the music store said if it were eczema it would be red patches and blisters and itching. I have none of that, just the dryness/cracking and unable to heal and form a callus anymore. He says it's def not eczema then.

But then again, he works at a music store..
Can't take his doctor diagnosis 100% hah

Yeah, my son gets that (like yours) if we don't keep on it, but his is mainly on his arms and legs not fingers.

Like I said when you go to the doctor, ask him about the medicine/creams I suggested, they really do work very well.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate