It had to happen eventually, I suppose.

I was composing a song, and I realized that I don't have the effects I need to get the sounds bouncing around in my head for some of the parts. So, in addition to all the pedals already on my G.A.S. list, I realize I need to add a good wah and flanger. Possibly a phaser as well.

And I know NOTHING about those 3 effects. So here I am looking for suggestions to start my hunt. I'm not on any timetable.

My priority is for quality& reliability. Based on past purchases, I'm willing to spend $300 on a pedal if I like it. Maybe more for something with an excellent rep coupled with power and versatility, like a Moog. I also realize that $$$ doesn't equal quality.

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, so I have lots of brick & mortar store options. Of course, I also know that some things simply aren't available here, so I have no problem shopping online. I do it all the time.

I have bought used pedals, so that's not a hangup, either.
I have three wah pedals that I have just ended up with over a lot of years of playing. One is an old 70's Maestro Boomerang (Gibson), a VOX Cry Baby, and an Ibanez Weeping Demon. The two I use are the VOX Cry Baby that I use for recording and the Ibanez Weeping Demon for playing gigs. The difference in sound is a matter of individual tastes but the thing that makes the Ibanez a great live pedal is that there is no switch to turn on the Wah on and off. It has a sensor that activates the pedal when you put your foot on it and turns itself off when you take your foot off the pedal. There is an adjustment knob that lets you set how long the pedal stays on after your take your foot off so the effect doesn't just die the minute you take your foot off. It's a really neat idea that works well. The only drawback is that you can't do a "frozen flange" kind of effect like you can on the VOX where you find that sweet spot of tone and take your foot off and it stays on until you switch off the Wah. If you are playing live gigs you might look at the Ibanez Weeping Demon.

I would also suggest you "try before you buy" and beware of celebrity branded pedals that are often much more expensive than their normal counterparts. Often the sound differences are negligible and you are paying for a name endorsement
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Nov 10, 2014,
no need to spend $300 a piece on any of those fx as you should be able to get high quality pedals for far less.

WHA - ok it's time once again to plug Morley. give them a try great quality and they don't cost a fortune. they use a different method to produce the wha effect so no pots to wear out and get scratchy. the separate on off switch (not on bad horsie) allows you to park the wha in a preset position and kick it on which comes in handy when you want to change a lead tone but not have to keep your foot on the pedal.

Phaser - this kinda depends on what type of phase sound you want. I'd suggest trying out whatever you can find and experiment as much as you can. personally I use either a EH Small Stone nano or a Deltalab. the EH has a very 70s sound and has 2 pattern options. the Deltalab is fairly inexpensive but so far is my fav phaser. it's more adjustable than the EH and has a nice thick phase sound. MXR Phase 90 is another popular option. there are of course some high end boutique phasers but I rarely see them available at stores to try.

Flange - rarely use this effect so no solid advice. had an Ibanez flanger years ago that was decent and the MXR is good as well. you may want to find a flanger that duplicates the old ADA flange if you like old Pat Travers.
Do you have any idea what type of phaser, flanger and wah-type sounds you want?

(I realise that's kind of an awkward question since if you don't have them already you probably don't, but it's very hard to advise if we don't know )
For the Flanger, I am looking for that classic jet air plane whoosh.

Phaser? Flexibility.

Wah? Well...classic rhythmic pulsing tone, ranging from smooth swells to staccato bursts (like Morello).

And, while we're at it, an embarrassing update: I actually have a Line6 ToneCore Liqui-Flange and Pigtronix Mothership Phaser. Both have been in storage so long I forgot about them.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 10, 2014,
lol

the van halen thing?

i have an mxr micro flanger on the way. the bigger mxr is meant to do it but i haven't tried it (plus it's big, expensive, 18V and half-assed bypass).
Oh yeah that reminds me, I was told the EHX ones don't do it (again, haven't tried them ). So probably avoid those ones (and any boutique types which are based on them).

EDIT: To your edit above

I'm not sure about the phaser, I only really have any experience with the more basic types like the phase 90. I'm guessing if you want flexibility that you want something more involved, with more controls etc.

Wah: Again, I'm not sure. I wonder if one of the switchless/potless type ones (like a morley) might be better for that morello stuff, but I could be wrong.
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 10, 2014,
Wah - Teese RMC3, Castledine
Phaser - Blackout Effectors Whetstone
Flanger - MXR, A/DA, Ibanez Paul Gilbert sig

All three - Strymon Mobius with expression pedal
I'm very happy with the Morley Maverick mini wah. Sounds like a Bad Horsie but in a pedalboard friendly size. Small, but not so small that it feels awkward underfoot.
More thanks to go around! Definitely have a lot to work with.

A respected, veteran player on another board once told me that as far as Wah pedals go, get one of the old dependable, no-frills pedals- Morley, Dunlop, etc. They won't give you any rude surprises.

What do the fancier Wah pedals bring to the table to justify their price and complexity?
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 11, 2014,
Quote by mmolteratx
Wah - Teese RMC3, Castledine
Phaser - Blackout Effectors Whetstone
Flanger - MXR, A/DA, Ibanez Paul Gilbert sig

All three - Strymon Mobius with expression pedal

+1

Almost teeheegeepee-like.
I've looked inside the Maverick (of course ) and it's usual Morley fare. I don't expect it to **** up any faster than my old PWA which I've had for ages. Actually, I got the PWA really cheap because it was faulty - solder joints.
Dunlops and Voxes wear out and you have to repair them fairly regularly, the actuator pots wear out. Morleys don't have that problem, the opto/LED will probably outlast you.
+1 to mobius with expression pedal. That would be the cheapest option.
the bbe wah is great for the price although I think they've gone up since the whole vertex thing. Otherwise a standard crybaby with some minor mods can be great.
If you have the cash then take a look at RMC. Main advantage being increased durability of jacks, switch, the pot and (IMO) better sound.
Morley Bad Horsie (or Bad Horsie 2)
MXR M107 / Boss PH-3 / Keeley Phaser / Empress Phaser
Mooer Eleclady (Hartman Analog Flanger if you wanna spend the $$$. It's the same thing though.)
ok so my micro flanger turned up. Only had a little try so far (so bear that in mind).

not sure. I think it sounds better than my joyo, but it doesn't get quite as extreme either. I think it'll get close enough to the VH unchained/jet plane thing for me, but considering you can get MXRs for USA pricing, I'd maybe look at the bigger one. I can't shake the feeling that there's another control it doesn't have (which the bigger one has) that if I could adjust it, would get me bang-on.
Quote by Dave_Mc
ok so my micro flanger turned up. Only had a little try so far (so bear that in mind).

not sure. I think it sounds better than my joyo, but it doesn't get quite as extreme either. I think it'll get close enough to the VH unchained/jet plane thing for me, but considering you can get MXRs for USA pricing, I'd maybe look at the bigger one. I can't shake the feeling that there's another control it doesn't have (which the bigger one has) that if I could adjust it, would get me bang-on.

So get it already?

it's too big and it's 18V

(and it's also too dear for something I only use occasionally)
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's too big and it's 18V

(and it's also too dear for something I only use occasionally)

Make a thread. I want more deets!

I was in a similar situation as you. I went with the Vortex.
that's pretty much all i've got so far

the vortex is the TC one, right?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's pretty much all i've got so far

the vortex is the TC one, right?

Yep, waiting for it to arrive.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
More thanks to go around! Definitely have a lot to work with.

A respected, veteran player on another board once told me that as far as Wah pedals go, get one of the old dependable, no-frills pedals- Morley, Dunlop, etc. They won't give you any rude surprises.

What do the fancier Wah pedals bring to the table to justify their price and complexity?

Tone. The Morleys are cool, and great for use with high gain since they cut so well, but I'm not a huge fan of them for anything else. Most all of the Dunlop wahs are just mediocre. Muddy in the lower end of the sweep, thin with no quack in the middle of the sweep and too dark up top. Adjust the pot and you can get it brighter up top, but then it's too shrill and there's still no quack in the middle. Exceptions are the CAE, which is awesome, the Bonamassa wah and the new Clyde.

Plus the Dunlops almost all just switch the output and sound lousy when turned off. Easy enough to fix, but obnoxious that they're still using that shit in 2014.

A lot of the boutique wahs are much more tweakable as well, though that may or may not be a plus depending on the user. The RMC3 and Castledine in particular have tons of sounds available if you ever decide you want something different.

But yo, seriously, Mobius that shit up. It's the best pedal Strymon makes, IMO. I've had loads of boutique and vintage mod gear, and it's more than satisfying. The wah sounds are a little lackluster, as is the through zero flanger, but everything else is phenomenal. I can cop most of the tones from the Whetstone I used to have, the MXR flanger, the Electric Mistress, UniVibes, etc. Tremolo is great. Chorus is great, and probably the best I've owned. Then you get rotary, quadrature, destroyer, etc., which are all awesome as well. There are maybe 3 or 4 bad sounds in the whole pedal, out of hundreds.

EDIT: I don't really have time for guitar right now actually. If you want to borrow my Mobius for a while, let me know.
Quote by mmolteratx
Exceptions are the CAE, which is awesome,

Did you find the CAE felt slightly weird underfoot? it's like the sweep isn't quite where I expect it to be, being used to the bog standard crybaby.

maybe i just need to adjust the pedal mechanism.

also i find the wah doesn't sound as good with the boost disengaged- the wah sweep is a bit weak-sounding.

might well be user error
I think it just sounds so much better with the boost on, rather than sounding weak with the boost off. But no, I don't think it feels weird at all. The sweep is a bit different as the pots on those are usually set up right from the factory whereas the standard CryBabies tend to be set up so that there's not enough treble.
Thanks. That could be it I haven't gone near the pot on either.

But yeah it sounds enough better with the boost on that I'm probably going to leave it like that. Problem is I adjusted the gain meaning to leave the boost off, so I'll probably have to open the thing up to tweak it again. Grrr. Hate internal controls so much.

Sort of makes the boost a bit pointless if you have to leave it on all the time. Then again, considering it's not able to be used independently of the wah, it's arguably only of limited use anyway... i guess unless you play a lot of stuff with wah on the rhythm guitar as well.
Subdecay (phaser and flanger and nice)
Empress (theirphaser is very nice)
Morley for wah

Always had great experiece with those brands
Phaser: the phase 90 is the classical sound for a phaser. it sounds best before the amp (and before drive/distortion) i believe there is a volume loss if it is placed in the effects loop (i think it was designed to be placed before the amp) I have an EHX small stone and i love it. but be aware that it sucks the tone a bit. I like to use that feature to add flavor to the song by using it in introductions and bridge etc...

Flanger: i would suggest to stay away from any digital flanger. i am not an analog freak but when it comes to flanger i think it the best to go analog. ada re issue i believe it is a nice piece of equipment. so re the MXR and ibanez P.G. units. be aware that the larger MXR and the ADA require 18V supply.

Wah: i am not a huge fan of wah pedal maybe becasue im too laze, but wahs are very subjective to the sweep range and that depends on what you are looking for. as most people mentioned vox, cry baby and morley are all great wah manufacturers.
i am mobuius'ing after christmas... lol. i love the mobius.

for wah, Fullrone or RMC. i have the Fulltone std and it works awesomely. it also has a longer sweep than most pedals, that is a selling feature.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/