Could you recommend a good Bass (£500-700) that could either be the primary instrument or the backup to my current one, which is a Yamaha TRBX304 (active bass). Should I go for an MiM Fender P Bass, Ibanez SR series (700 or 800), ESP Ltd or any other you think is useful. I play in a covers band and we play Neil Young, CCR, Stones, Hendrix etc.
Well; you appear to be heavily into classic rock, so a Fender Precision would certainly be in order. I would confine my search to Fender's offerings in your price range. Also take a look at Fender's Jazz basses.
eries (700 or 800), ESP Ltd or any other you think is useful. I play in a covers band and we play Neil Young, CCR, Stones, Hendrix etc.
omar
Looking at offerings from Thomann, your price range does not allow for a new American Standard Precision or Jazz Bass. You are well within the price range for a new MIM standard bass (either Precision or Jazz).

Here in the U.S. MIM basses sell used for approximately 50% of new value and do not further depreciate unless condition becomes significantly degraded. This factor alone makes it a very good choice for U.S. buyers because you can buy a used MIM and sell it later for pretty much what you paid for it. Hard to go wrong there.

If this model also works in the UK then you should be able to buy a private sale MIM bass in either Precision or Jazz persuasion for somewhere around 225-250 pounds. This is the route I would choose personally. My used MIM Jazz bass was purchased for $250 U.S. and appears new except for one small ding.

Other factors may influence your decision. Only you can say what is best for you.
Last edited by VeloDog at Dec 11, 2014,
I think the advice to buy second hand Fenders is excellent advice. I bought a barely used USA Highway 1 Jazz bass from Mansons in Exeter for £450. Since then I've picked up a Gibson Thunderbird on ebay for £625 and a Fender American Deluxe P bass for £550. The P bass had some damage to the lacquer finish which I repaired myself with superglue but all play beautifully. The key is to keep your eyes open and be patient. Let them go if the bidding gets too high.

My experience is that Fenders vary in quality so some of the MIM's may be better than some of the MIA basses. I loved the Roadworn series, even though I don't like the distressed look they play really well. You might also like to look at the Japanese copies some of which are excellent.