So I'm getting my first tube amp. I play mainly Blues(rock), so stuff like Hendrix, White Stripes, Gary Clark Jr. and Chili Peppers (I know they aren't Blues Rock, but awesome nonetheless ) and I use a Fender CP Jazzmaster

I picked these 3 because they are kinda in my price range (at least on eBay) and I've heard good stuff about them. I tend to get an Epiphone BC30 though, except when you have better suggestions and I want to hear what you have to say about the other 2.
The problem is I can't try them first, because I can't go to any music store and the Epiphone BC30 isn't in store anywhere anyways.
Last edited by marcoschew at Nov 9, 2014,
Depends. Do you plan to gig with this amp?

The Epi BC30 has more headroom being 30 watt. You'll probably want that headroom in a gig situation where the blues junior and the AC15 won't give you so much clean tones at higher volume.

The Ac15 will give you nice british OD. The Blues junior will get you a more typical "Fendery" clean and american type of OD.

Have you considered Blues deluxe/hot rod ? (Like the blues junior but 30 watt)
You could go used and score a better amp and try these amps before buying them.
I plan to do both. gig and play at home but I'll use it mostly at home. The BC30 is adjustable you can switch it from 30W to 15W

Hm, I will take a look at those
I'd go with the Fender Blues Jr. and replace the stock speaker with an Eminence Swamp Thang.
personally I prefer the Vox AC, over just about any other amp, cause it can do hard rock sounds as well as blues,jazz or country. But considering your musical influences, I think the Fender might be more likely your cup of tea. The thing I like about Fender amps is they have great tonal character/personality and are distinct. I'm not sure, however, if they could handle a heavy rock guitar sound, my only reservation. I have owned a Fender Reverb Deluxe in the past and traded it for a Vox for this very reason. If I could afford it, I'd have both. Your pick.
If you can't try them first then hit the youtube demos and roll the dice. All three are quality tube amps and each has a little different character. Being from Calif I am a Fender/Mesa fanboy and would choose the Blues Jr. of these three. I owned it's big brother the HRD and gigged with her for 5 years without any issues so the BJR would be a slam dunk.
Quote by Linkerman
I'd go with the Fender Blues Jr. and replace the stock speaker with an Eminence Swamp Thang.
^
This
If it was me, thats what I would pick.
Including the speaker swap. With that speaker.
That's a great speaker IMO.
But, I already have an AC30, and while I LOVE my AC30, something different would be nice.

Although the AC15 is VERY tempting, gigging with it, unless its a small club/bar you may not have enough clean headroom, depending on how hard your drummer beats those skins.
But that why we have this thing called "Micing" (micing, mikeing miking mic-ing, mic'ing ?)
Any place bigger than a small bar should be micing amps anyway.
Thanks for the answers!
I still don't know which one to get though.
I'm currently negotiating over the price for an Epi BC30 on ebay, but now I'm unsure if I should get it.
Since it's my first amp I'd probably be happy with either of those so maybe I should do what Cajundaddy said and roll the dice

Getting a Blues Jr. and replacing the Speaker would cost more and I'd have to find a professional who can do it, so that is out of the question since I am kinda low on money. But thanks for the suggestion.
Quote by Taz9
Of all three the BC30 would be last for me.

I read some good reviews on this site and somewhere else and I liked the design.
Last edited by marcoschew at Nov 10, 2014,
Quote by marcoschew
Getting a Blues Jr. and replacing the Speaker would cost more and I'd have to find a professional who can do it, so that is out of the question since I am kinda low on money. But thanks for the suggestion.

#1, you don't have to replace the speaker right away. Get the Blues Jr. and enjoy it the way it is, upgrade it later when you can afford it.

#2, you don't have to find a professional to swap the speaker. You just unplug 2 wires from the speaker (they are clipped on), unscrew the stock speaker and take it off, screw in the new speaker and clip the 2 wires back on. It takes less than 5 minutes to do.
Quote by Linkerman
#1, you don't have to replace the speaker right away. Get the Blues Jr. and enjoy it the way it is, upgrade it later when you can afford it.

OK that sounds better.
What I also wanted to know: Is there a big difference between the Fender BJ III and BJ II and Fender BJ?
Last edited by marcoschew at Nov 10, 2014,
I sorta like the stock speaker in a BJ and probably would leave it alone. I don't know enough about the different versions of that amp to comment other than I have seen players gig with them for 15 years, all versions, and the amp always sounds good with a skilled player out front.