I am building a custom strat and id like to know what p-ups to use

I mainly play blues and classic rock

These are the specs of the custom strat already:
Chambered swap ash body, maple top
Fender standard maple neck
Rear routed
Hard tailed (Flat mount vintage spacing)
The rest is pretty standard

I will probably use sss config but im up for hsh or hss

The only idea I have is the texas specials
Last edited by ogy space at Nov 9, 2014,
texas specials are ok but not a fav of mine. I think that your amp and say overdrive pedal choices might help with picking the best options pups. I play similar stuff and have found that what I just mentioned had more to do with the sound.

as for other options I'd consider looking at Lace Sensor pickups as well as some of the DiMarzio tone zone's
The Lace Red/Silver/Blue set is very good for just about anything in a strat.

If you can find a set that isn't too expensive the Big Dippers from John Mayer's sig strat are good too.
I've been looking around and Lace Sensor pickups come up a lot so thats probably what im gonna go for.
Thanks for your help
what's the rest of your gear? as monwobobbo rightly says, that affects how you sound and will influence your decision regarding which pickups to get...

a lot of the blues/classic rocker types use vintage output pickups. a lot also use a bit hotter ones (like texas specials). it's kind of a judgement call (and also dependent on the rest of your gear, as I said).
Marshall Dsl15c is what I usually use at home. Generally no pedals but I do own a couple cheap distortions/drives a multi fx and a boost but I rarely use them
Last edited by ogy space at Nov 9, 2014,
Quote by TheStig1214
The Lace Red/Silver/Blue set is very good for just about anything in a strat.

If you can find a set that isn't too expensive the Big Dippers from John Mayer's sig strat are good too.

while that is a good set from LS it's not really for what the OP wants. the red is a fairly high output pup. I'd go with the other 3 color set which has a ballsy bridge and slightly ballsy neck as that would suite the styles mentioned better.
Quote by ogy space
Marshall Dsl15c is what I usually use at home. Generally no pedals but I do own a couple cheap distortions/drives a multi fx and a boost but I rarely use them

I'd suggest getting a good overdrive as that will give you some more options sound wise. I'd suggest a tubescreamer style pedal for blues rock and of course classic rock. an overdrive will tighten up the sound and give you more tone options. I use either a Digitech CM-2 or a T-Rex Crunchy frog depending on needs (the digitech will most likely be easier to find). this will give you a dirt option using the clean channel or more umph on the dirt channel. I also use the dirt channel of my amps set for a rhythm sound and use the overdrive for leads.
Quote by monwobobbo
while that is a good set from LS it's not really for what the OP wants. the red is a fairly high output pup. I'd go with the other 3 color set which has a ballsy bridge and slightly ballsy neck as that would suite the styles mentioned better.

I am assuming it is the Emerald-RW Silver-Purple set you are talking about
Quote by ogy space
I am assuming it is the Emerald-RW Silver-Purple set you are talking about

yes that's the one. when I get some spare cash I'm planning on putting them in one of my strats. no problem on the pedal advice. I'm a strat guy and love blues rock stuff like Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Winter and Rory Gallagher. I also do the humbucker thing for stuff like Peter Green and Gary Moore. (and yes I know that JW used mini humbuckers even though I listed him with the strat guys)
Cool, so we know the tones you like and the gear you use, how about where you play? Are you gigging and will hum cancellation be important to you? I play similar styles of music and in some of the seedier joints, cheap lighting hum can be pretty unbearable. My "Juke Joint" Strat has HSH config as a workaround. Duncan Lil 59 neck, stock Fender middle, cool rails bridge. The guitar covers Classic rock and Blues great and doesn't get buried in nasty hum.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Cool, so we know the tones you like and the gear you use, how about where you play? Are you gigging and will hum cancellation be important to you? I play similar styles of music and in some of the seedier joints, cheap lighting hum can be pretty unbearable. My "Juke Joint" Strat has HSH config as a workaround. Duncan Lil 59 neck, stock Fender middle, cool rails bridge. The guitar covers Classic rock and Blues great and doesn't get buried in nasty hum.

well that's the great thing about Lace Sensors they give you true single coil sound without the hum issues. there are things like a Hum-x that can help you avoid the 60 cycle hum thing.