So, my band and I are going to be performing at my High School's battle of the bands competition next year (it's far off, I know, but we want to be spot on for it, so we can get some recognition). We have a few songs in mind, but would also like some ideas on what else we could do. Our current set list so far is (in no particular order):

•What is, and What Should Never Be -Led Zeppelin
•Even Flow-Pearl Jam
•Plush-Stone Temple Pilots
•Paint it Black-Rolling Stones
•Cliffs of Dover-Eric Johnson
•Rock and Roll-Led Zeppelin

Any ideas, or comments (all constructive, of course) would be much appreciated, thanks in advance
Write and play your own music so when you bomb you can be sure it was all due to your own lack of talent and creativity.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Write and play your own music so when you bomb you can be sure it was all due to your own lack of talent and creativity.

Too much Led Zeppelin.

Good call on Evenflow though. In fact, you should piss off Dave Grohl and play all of Ten, and then describe how that album is better than anything he has ever done, through interpretive dance and beat poetry.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Too much Led Zeppelin.

Good call on Evenflow though. In fact, you should piss off Dave Grohl and play all of Ten, and then describe how that album is better than anything he has ever done, through interpretive dance and beat poetry.

Ten was incredibly well written, especially for a young new band's first album, but imo horribly recorded and produced. Every song from that album is better live.
Quote by ehbacon
Ten was incredibly well written, especially for a young new band's first album, but imo horribly recorded and produced. Every song from that album is better live.

The remastered version is excellent, and is the black circle that I prefer to spin.
Quote by Lilviv77
my High School's battle of the bands competition next year (it's far off, I know, but we want to be spot on for it, so we can get some recognition)

My suggestion is to not be a baby and stop caring about stupid stuff like that. If you want advice on what to play beyond "don't play" I suppose the best advice is to realize that all of your choices are terrible and that every worthless loser band ever plays mediocre dad rock covers.

You should play something worthwhile. Like try playing traditional Irish folk music or avantgarde jazz or progressive bluegrass. You know, something that not all the loser "I wish I lived back in the 60s because music will never be as good as rock n roll music was back then" Rolling Stone magazine readers ever have done.

Any waste of life teenage douchebag can pick up a guitar and play dad rock (which is really a dead form of music that nobody will give a shit about except for whatever parents get dragged along) covers, but it's really just cliched, irrelevant, and uncool. If you play music that has never been relevant in our culture, you're at least not a loser because you're not clinging to some archaic, outdated notion of "pure holy rock n roll" that has no place in our culture.

Do you really want to be another generic, basic loser? You know what? I'm guessing that you're one of those people that says "kids these and their shitty Lil Wayne and Lady Gaga music" or something like that. Well you know what else?

That stuff is better than your outdated, no talent dad rock. And the thing is, it's modern and alive, unlike the dinosaur music you want to play.

That sort of rock music will never be popular in your lifetime. Jimmy Page was a shoddy guitar player that ripped off every generic blues riff ever. The Beatles are just a no talent "pretty boy" boyband, no different than the modern boybands that you turn up your holier-than-thou dad rock loving nose at, but with lousy production.

Honestly battle of the bands in general are just a desperate archaic manifestation of dad rock. There really is no place for them and no worthwhile musician should bother with them. If you really must, make a statement. Blow minds wide open.