I currently have a ProCo RAT and, although I like it, I'm curious if the MXR Super Badass distortion would be better for my tone.

I play mostly alternative, post-rock, and ambient music with the gear I would add the MXR to. For solos, I'm chasing a tone close to the guitar solo at 2:30 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eaalSMO5uM

I'm pretty darn close to that with the RAT and the rest of my pedals, but I want some more sparkle and chingy-ness that I'm hoping the MXR would give me. Also, I hate how distortions have a fizzle and crackle, especially during chords, so if the MXR is able to eliminate most of that, that would be worth buying itself.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/pro-co-rat2-distortion-pedal?rNtt=proco%20rat&index=1

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/mxr-m75-super-badass-distortion-guitar-effects-pedal

Thank you for your advice.
I returned my Super badass, very fizzy through my amp. The DS-1 I got sounded way better for less than half the price, mind you that is an OD and not a distortion.
i haven't tried the super badass but (assuming you mean the red one) i doubt it'll be less fizzy on the top end since it's ds1-based.

didn't you make a bunch of threads recently where other regulars advised getting a new (tube) amp? (I might be confusing you with someone else )

Don't worry, we've all made silly purchases (me more than most ), but if you want to get rid of that slightly artificial thing that a lot of distortion pedals have, the solution is a tube amp.

i guess a short-term solution might be to run a tubescreamer-style pedal into the front of the rat, though. digitech bad monkey on the cheap.
Quote by JGM258
that is an OD and not a distortion.

The M75 is a Distortion pedal, the red one is more of an od.

I tend to use my M75 as more of a boost as the gain gets quite fizzy and there is a fair bit of noise (this could just be my power supply .) You can get some nice tones out of it, but it really is meant as a High gain Drive. It can get quite harsh sounding as you turn it up and can do some fuzzier sounds with the gain and lvl maxed.
Quote by Dave_Mc
didn't you make a bunch of threads recently where other regulars advised getting a new (tube) amp? (I might be confusing you with someone else )

Don't worry, we've all made silly purchases (me more than most ), but if you want to get rid of that slightly artificial thing that a lot of distortion pedals have, the solution is a tube amp.

That was me. I asked if I should buy The Analogizer (which I'm about to do a review on, actually) and people suggested that I just get a new amp. I have issues with using an amp in general, and the amp simulation on my RP-155 works well enough.

To be honest I'm fairly satisfied with my tone as it is, and through the house speaker system of my Church building (where I usually play with this set-up) it sounds pretty solid.

My issue is that the RAT is labeled mostly as a fuzz pedal, and it sounds like it if you're not careful. I'm curious if the MXR M75 Super Badass distortion (chrome casing, I listed a link to the pedal in the original post) would be less fuzzy/ratty.

I do want a nice amp. But I'd gladly pay $99 USD for a better OD pedal until I can get an amp.

Quote by boblittle
I tend to use my M75 as more of a boost as the gain gets quite fizzy and there is a fair bit of noise (this could just be my power supply .) You can get some nice tones out of it, but it really is meant as a High gain Drive. It can get quite harsh sounding as you turn it up and can do some fuzzier sounds with the gain and lvl maxed.

Considering this, I might look at other pedals. What about Fulltone's line of OD/Dist pedals?
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 9, 2014,
Quote by Will Lane

I play mostly alternative, post-rock, and ambient music with the gear I would add the MXR to. For solos, I'm chasing a tone close to the guitar solo at 2:30 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eaalSMO5uM

I'm a bit puzzled, this sounds nothing like an alternative, post-rock or ambient music tone (it reminds me of Satriani instead).
Quote by Will Lane
That was me. I asked if I should buy The Analogizer (which I'm about to do a review on, actually) and people suggested that I just get a new amp. I have issues with using an amp in general, and the amp simulation on my RP-155 works well enough.

To be honest I'm fairly satisfied with my tone as it is, and through the house speaker system of my Church building (where I usually play with this set-up) it sounds pretty solid.

My issue is that the RAT is labeled mostly as a fuzz pedal, and it sounds like it if you're not careful. I'm curious if the MXR M75 Super Badass distortion (chrome casing, I listed a link to the pedal in the original post) would be less fuzzy/ratty.

I do want a nice amp. But I'd gladly pay $99 USD for a better OD pedal until I can get an amp.

No worries. If you can't get or use an amp that's fair enough.

I'd say a rat's more like a distortion which can get a bit fuzzy rather than a fuzz. its circuit is pretty much bog standard distortion circuit fare. just keep the distortion knob below about 12 o'clock or so, which is (roughly, depending on pickups) where it starts to fuzz up.

i still say you should try a digitech bad monkey, or maybe a boss sd1 (bad monkey is smoother) on the cheap (well under $100, more like under $50). set the rat up like that and if you need more dirt boost the crap (technical term) out of it with the overdrive pedal. certainly with my mooer rat clone that works just fine. admittedly i'm using it into a tube amp.

also the mooer (and i assume the "genuine" rat too) gets pretty smooth if you turn up the filter. You've tried that, right? (It sort of works backwards from a regular tone control.)
Quote by happysad
I'm a bit puzzled, this sounds nothing like an alternative, post-rock or ambient music tone (it reminds me of Satriani instead).

Now that you mention it, I see how that doesn't connect. Rather, that solo in the video emulates the maximum output/distortion I want to have (unless I get really space-y). Full bodied lows, but light and sparkly at the top. That song leans more to the alternative genre, and the rhythm guitar displays that.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I'd say a rat's more like a distortion which can get a bit fuzzy rather than a fuzz. its circuit is pretty much bog standard distortion circuit fare. just keep the distortion knob below about 12 o'clock or so, which is (roughly, depending on pickups) where it starts to fuzz up.

also the mooer (and i assume the "genuine" rat too) gets pretty smooth if you turn up the filter. You've tried that, right? (It sort of works backwards from a regular tone control.)

I actually keep my distortion on the RAT barely above minimum most of the time. At 9 o'clock, most of my tone is lost to an overwhelming wave of distortion. Cranking that thing to maximum sends you lost in a sea of blrlhlrhlglggrhlbhlbhlehlhrlhglbhlg

And yes, I am extremely meticulous with the filter. I usually have it pushed just over 12 o' clock.

I guess another issue I have with the RAT is that it doesn't have much leaveway. It's either way too subtle or way too oppressing. If I'm not careful, it can sap my tone. I got it for 20$ though, and for that she is an outstanding pedal.

Mooer looks interesting, they have several OD/dist pedals. Also, I'm somewhat predisposed to the Bad Monkey, it always seemed like a pedal that beginner guitarists would have their mom buy for them. Although the few seconds of demo I've heard sound pretty smooth.

Anything against the TS-9 here? I'm also looking at Analogman's Prince of Tone and Fulltone Fulldrive, although I'm pushing amplifier price range with the KOT.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 9, 2014,
yeah for $20 it's hard to complain about a rat it's a classic.

Mine doesn't seem as jumpy as that, but With mine with the gain below 9 o'clock it's more or less an overdrive, between about 9 o'clock to 1 o'clock it's pretty standard mid gain distortion, and above that it gets fuzzy (as i said, depending on pickups).

nothing against the ts9, just the bad monkey will do more or less the same thing for a fraction of the price. if you have the money for a ts9 and don't mind spending it on one, it'll do the same thing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
nothing against the ts9, just the bad monkey will do more or less the same thing for a fraction of the price. if you have the money for a ts9 and don't mind spending it on one, it'll do the same thing.

Alright, thanks With the few demos I have seen people talk about and display the BM
having tone suckage, compared to the less tone-sucking TS-9. Although the more I push the pricing, the more I could get the Prince of Tone. I'm checking that out as well.
I haven't tried one, but I think a PoT is bluesbreaker-based. I have the mooer bluesbreaker clone and I think a TS is more in line with what you want. A BB is a lot more transparent/flat in the EQ. (assuming the analogman one hasn't totally modded it)