Hello, I've been playing guitar for just shy of a year, usually practice 3 hours a day every day, so i've decided around christmas it'd be a great idea to upgrade from my damaged fender squire to something much much better. My budget is between $200-$450, so I'd prefer not to spend much more than that being a high school student. I've been looking at Fender Telecasters (MiM) and a Les Paul copy called an Agile AL-2000. Here's some of the music I enjoy to listen to on a constant basis:

1) Real Estate (Their older songs and their newer songs)
2) Craft Spells
3) Mac Demarco
4) Fiance
5) Beach Boys
6) Beach Fossils
7) The Ventures

When I play guitar, I try to shy away from distorted heavy music as much as I can. I do not like very heavy music, although I do like some crunch kind of sounds. The tone I try to look for is more of a clean reverb type of sound, so whatever guitars can complement a clean play style the best would be best. As far as my experiences with guitars go, as I said above, I'm playing on a damaged fender squire I got for free (can't even tune the thing without nearly snapping a string due to the tuners being rusted and sticky). It goes out of tune very quickly, and the frets are chipped and rusted. Above all else, I'm going to link a song that has the exact type of guitar sound I would like to emulate and play, although I'm fond of also playing with a little bit of crunch. When I play, I use a lot of reverb, so if anyone can maybe recommend a cheap amp/pedal that'd help me get a sound close to this sound I'd appreciate.

Again, feel free to make any recommendation, as I really want to get a nice study guitar that'll serve me well for years, I'm not looking for a temporary guitar, I want this to be a long term guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Hhk2E7DxM&list=FLYcVT86118wRoF-JCZ-N_hg&index=31
MIM Strat or Tele. You can often find them for $250 used in like new condition. One was for sale in LA last week for $150. I need another guitar like a hole in the head but for $150 I almost drove down and got it.
I would go HSS strat, because I think the humbucker bridge pickup is more useful than a strat SC.

This is the one I would personally go for, because I prefer P90s to either strat SCs or humbuckers, and I also like the look, which sort of fits with your Beach Boys interest:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-modern-player-jaguar-electric-guitar

I tried the Modern Player version of the thinline deluxe tele, also P90s, and thought it was terrific.
I agree with Cajundaddy. MIM Strats/ Teles are very good and can be found very cheap. Very versatile too, just in case you decide to venture into different types of music.
I would probably look into hollow/semi hollow guitars too.
Amp wise, I suggest a tube amp. They have great cleans and they can provide that little bit of crunch you are looking for.
This would work well for you:
Reverend Flatroc
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-19023.htm

...and that price is a steal. Used Flatrocs like that usually cost @50% more:
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Flatroc+make%3Areverend

I have the 15th Anniversary edition of this guitar, which has a Bigsby tremolo on it. Otherwise, the electronics are the same. And those vintage-voiced RevTron mini-HBs combined with Reverend's bass contour and tone controls means you can get a broad range of tones out of the guitar. Mine can go from vintage HB to twangy with just a couple spins of the knobs. Great for all kinds of surf/spy/rockabilly/psychobilly/classic rock tunes.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 9, 2014,
Forget a new guitar, get a good multi effects pedal, you can emulate any tone you want with a good multi effects pedal, the most important tool will be the EQ, learn how to EQ properly and learn how to shape a sound, you will thank me 3 years down the road.
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar. perfect guitar for surf style music and will cover other stuff as well.
I'd get that AL2000 very quickly; they're being discontinued on the Rondo Music site and we don't know what's going to replace them. The AL-2000 is one of the great deals in inexpensive guitars. The AL-3010 SE is also going away (that one was announced as a short-term item anyway). The base Agile AL-style guitar will thus be around $400. That's still a great deal (and it now comes with a solid full-thickness maple cap) and a helluva guitar and more than worth the money but it's over your budget. At that point you might be better off to save up for the AL-3200, which is $499 and has features that not even Gibson puts on guitars.
Quote by dspellman
I'd get that AL2000 very quickly; they're being discontinued on the Rondo Music site and we don't know what's going to replace them. The AL-2000 is one of the great deals in inexpensive guitars. The AL-3010 SE is also going away (that one was announced as a short-term item anyway). The base Agile AL-style guitar will thus be around $400. That's still a great deal (and it now comes with a solid full-thickness maple cap) and a helluva guitar and more than worth the money but it's over your budget. At that point you might be better off to save up for the AL-3200, which is $499 and has features that not even Gibson puts on guitars.

I'm still pretty tempted to buy the AL-2000 myself, but I've watched demo's and i'm still concerned on whether or it'll sound good with a clean reverb mode on a amp playing it on the deeper setting of the knob (not quite sure what it's called). What's your opinion on that?
I would suggest a Fender overall but for something different a Gretsch would work too. They have humbuckers but have a twang to them and are bright and detailed like you want in that music has a bit more bottom end.