Hi, so I´ve always been resting my picking hand with my pinky placed on the pickguard. But after I started to learn some faster stuff I realized that when I rest my palm on the bridge I can play much faster and much more precise, like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx3Tzuoq3Xg .
But the problem starts when I rest my palm on the bridge and I play for example some Metallica song where I have to play fast and palm mute from time to time. It just seems really hard to combine placing my palm on the bridge and when I need to place my palm on strings (palm mute) and back again.
Any advise? Or it just comes with time and practice?
What you're doing is called anchoring, which is never a good thing. Resting your pinky on the pick guard or your palm on the bridge might seem like it's helping you, but it's really not. It may make you a bit more accurate, but it adds tension and reduces the mobility of your wrist. In the long run, you will be a lot worse off because of it. There's nothing wrong with resting your hand on the bridge, but if it needs to be there for you to play accurately, it's bad. You should stop now while you can.
You Don't Rest Your Palm On The Bridge Or Anchor Your Pinky On The Guitar, You Rest Your Palm Near The Bridge On The Strings To Mute Them And Become A Cleaner Guitar Player, I Dont Know What You Mean By Muting, As In Like Acoustic Muting Banging Your Palm On The Strings? If Not Just Rest Ur Palm On The Strings Near The Bridge That Is The Right Way To Play Srhedd, And It Will Help With Sweeping Too
Like Junior said, you can find anchoring problematic. However, Michael Angelo Batio anchors, and he's arguably one of the most technically advanced players ever.

Personally, I find anchoring limiting. I do keep my palm ready to palm mute at a moments notice most of the time so it hovers close to the bridge. Sometimes I find it easier to play my fastest closer to the neck. I haven't found it hindering at all because I can jump my hand back to palm mute territory whenever needed.

I definitely wouldn't rest my hand on the bridge though. Too much work to go from palm muting to not muting.
Quote by inchindar
You Don't Rest Your Palm On The Bridge Or Anchor Your Pinky On The Guitar, You Rest Your Palm Near The Bridge On The Strings To Mute Them And Become A Cleaner Guitar Player, I Dont Know What You Mean By Muting, As In Like Acoustic Muting Banging Your Palm On The Strings? If Not Just Rest Ur Palm On The Strings Near The Bridge That Is The Right Way To Play Srhedd, And It Will Help With Sweeping Too

Please stop typing like that...
Sorry my caps lock was on everything should have been on capital but i don't know only the starting letter is.
^ It's to stop you from typing all in capitals since it's annoying. Granted, having the first letter of every word capitalised is only marginally less annoying.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i dont wanna derail this topic but its a question about holding the pick. i hold it ok
but when i strumm i think there is way much pick hiting the strings and its catching ???
yestrerday i played with my fingers like i was tolding the pick and it was better.
so may be iam not chocking up on the pick like i should i saw a video of hendrix
the tip of his pick was only a little bit mine there is a lot showing

BEAR WITH ME IAM NEW IAM TRYING TO EXPLAIN THIS THE BEST I CAN
Last edited by Tazz3 at Nov 21, 2014,
Quote by Tazz3
i dont wanna derail this topic but its a question about holding the pick. i hold it ok
but when i strumm i think there is way much pick hiting the strings and its catching ???
yestrerday i played with my fingers like i was tolding the pick and it was better.
so may be iam not chocking up on the pick like i should i saw a video of hendrix
the tip of his pick was only a little bit mine there is a lot shiting??

BEAR WITH ME IAM NEW IAM TRYING TO EXPLAIN THIS THE BEST I CAN

Yes, you want only a little bit of the pick showing. You will have more control this way.