Hey guys,

I'm going to buy my first guitar, although I never played. So, I don't know much about it, but through some search I've found two that might be worth it. Ibanez Jumpstart IJRG200 and Fender SQ Affinity. And I would like to get an amp too, but I'm even loster (like, really lost-er) in this topic. So, I'm from Portugal, and I have about 200~250€ to spend (plz make it as cheap as possible xD).

Oh, btw I want an electric guitar. To be able to do something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUrupnkFFuo
You know, awesome guitar stuff :b

If you can buy used, look for a Peavey vypyr 30 and an LTD 100 series if you can find them.

No starter pack is going to get anywhere near that sound
you can get a pacifica 112 under your budget (just). doesn't leave much for an amp though (it's ~220 euros on thomann, though local VAT rate will affect exactly how much it costs). a vox mini3 is about 100 euros on thomann.

there are a few portuguese guys on here, one of them says there's a shop which often beats thomann pricing, but I dunno which one it is. Hopefully they'll see this thread.
+1 for the Yamaha Pacifica. Get yourself a name brand (Vox Valvetronix, Peavey Vyper, Fender Mustang, Roland Cube), entry level modeling amp and get started. Paid lessons are valuable if you like your instructor but there are also thousands of lessons on YouTube.
Quote by Robbgnarly
It's Linkerman I think Dave

yeah he's one of them, there's another one too who's pretty much a regular as well I think (his name escapes me at the moment sorry ) and it might be him who always mentions it.
So, Pacifica 112 is winning the pole (we are talking about the standard model, right?)

I've found one Peavey Vypyr 30 for about 130€, but, do I need it? I mean, isn't that a little too much? I don't even know how to adjust the settings.

Oh, and I've found the 120H for about the same price, 240€
Last edited by tiago_cordeiro at Nov 10, 2014,
But that's one of the benefits of a modeling amp, its a good gadget to learn how to adjust all those settings and fx and how they affect your tone. Its basically a "sampler platter" for budding guitarists.
The Vypyr 30 would be just fine, it has lots of amp and FX modeling that sound pretty good. It also has a headphone out if you need silent practicing. It will also be useful if you play with other people at all. Besides the 12" speaker will sound much better than the 8" speaker found in smaller amps.
Yeah, I get you and I would like to give it a try. Is it a good price? Although the final cost would be a little higher than I wanted. 350€ when compared to 250€. But it's like, I don't want a crappy guitar or amp, because I don't want to buy a new one every year.

I want the truth about this: "Can you have a good starting combo with 250€?"
I know it won't be "good" when compared to more expensive stuff, but I want to keep what I'm buying for some years until I get something better.
Well a lot of people that want to learn buy a really cheap starter pack and it never gets used because the quality of the guitar in typically not good and the amp is horrible.

Yes you can get a decent starter set for €250 but it will have to be all used gear.
I don't feel like getting a crappy guitar just because I know that I would stop playing it if the sound is not good (although I don't really know what is a "good sound"). Neither want to get used equips because I know nothing about it. It's really hard to get a good deal like that.

Still waiting on the portuguese guy to come here and tell me what the store's name ahah
Quote by tiago_cordeiro
I don't feel like getting a crappy guitar just because I know that I would stop playing it if the sound is not good (although I don't really know what is a "good sound"). Neither want to get used equips because I know nothing about it. It's really hard to get a good deal like that.

Still waiting on the portuguese guy to come here and tell me what the store's name ahah

I can understand being apprehensive about buying a guitar used if you don't get to try the guitar before buying it, and then discover why it was being sold in the first place -because it's a POS and the seller didn't make mention of the fact or else nobody would buy it. I've had that experience before and it is a very bitter one.

But it's not so much the case with amps. Solid State amps don't really have anything to go wrong with them, so you may as well go used in that regard. Just do some research on the amps being sold and see how they sound from sound samples if that's possible.

And I can empathise with not wanting a crappy cheap guitar for your first one. So many people recommend a POS as a first guitar because then if you don't like guitar, you don't lose as much money. It's a false economy, and often a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Yeah, it's a waste of money buying a crappy guitar just because it's the first one. Makes no sense to me. And about the used guitar and amp, since I know nothing about that, it's like buying a used car. I don't know what to search for, or how "used" it is.

So, do you think a vypyr 30 for 130€ is worth?
Quote by tiago_cordeiro
Yeah, it's a waste of money buying a crappy guitar just because it's the first one. Makes no sense to me. And about the used guitar and amp, since I know nothing about that, it's like buying a used car. I don't know what to search for, or how "used" it is.

So, do you think a vypyr 30 for 130€ is worth?

Yeah I do, they were €220ish when they were new. I know Peavey prices in Europe are steeper than here in the states.

And you should get the best gear you are willing to afford. And one good thing about buying used is you can typically resell it for the same amount you buy it for if you don't like playing
Quote by tiago_cordeiro

I want the truth about this: "Can you have a good starting combo with 250€?"
I know it won't be "good" when compared to more expensive stuff, but I want to keep what I'm buying for some years until I get something better.

It's very hard to say, because occasionally shops might have a really good sale on, for example, or there may be local brands which are better value than the bigger brands (of course, they may be way worse!) which we haven't tried.

When it comes to the readily available internationally-known companies, though, I'd say you'd probably have to spend closer to 300-350 euros (new) to get something which should be good enough where you don't feel that you have to immediately run out and upgrade it. The pacifica 112 i mentioned and the vox mini3, for example.
So the Pacifica 112 it is. I've found a 120H for the same price as a 112. Should I go for it?

And what about the amp? vox mini3 or peavey vypyr 30?
Quote by tiago_cordeiro
So the Pacifica 112 it is. I've found a 120H for the same price as a 112. Should I go for it?

And what about the amp? vox mini3 or peavey vypyr 30?

I'm not sure of the differences in the 112 and the 120

I'd take the Vypyr 30 over the Vox mini3 any day. The vypyr 30 is more versatile in every sense and IMO sounds better
From what i've read the 120h has more features than the 112, and it's almost identical to the 112v, so it might be better than the 112. I'll try to find some useful information regarding this.
I think the 120 is just the dual-humbucker version of the 112- but don't quote me on that, I've only tried the 112. Basically, the 112 will be more versatile for a wider range of tones, but if you know you prefer humbuckers, the 120 might be better. EDIT: yep you're right, the 120H seems to be the dual humbucker version of the 112V, rather than the slightly more basic 112. I don't think there's much in it between the 112 and 112V, but if the prices are similar (or you're ok with the 120H), then yeah the V (or 120H) is probably slightly better.

I haven't tried the vypyr 30 but I suspect rob is on the money. the mini3 wins by being a fair bit cheaper, and being portable/teeny- so it might be useful even when you get a bigger/better amp. But if you have room and the cash for the vypyr, yeah i suspect it'd sound better and be more useful right now.
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 12, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
there are a few portuguese guys on here, one of them says there's a shop which often beats thomann pricing, but I dunno which one it is. Hopefully they'll see this thread.

Quote by Robbgnarly
It's Linkerman I think Dave

That might be me, but I only recall talking about that once. I think it was just last week.

To Tiago: if you want I can give you the store information and contact. It's in Amarante (near Porto).
If you already know what you want, it might be worth contacting them to see what price they'd be willing to make.
If you're still not sure, they can suggest you some nice gear. They're super helpful people, and very knowledgeable, too.
^ yeah it probably was fairly recently, that'd explain why i remembered it
Well, I don't know much about single coil vs humbucker, but I think dual-humbucker is better, right?

I still have to search a little bit more about the vox mini3, to check some prices.

@Lickerman: That's kinda far for me... I'm from Lisbon. But yeah, I can call them and ask about their prices. Can you give me their info?
Quote by Linkerman
That might be me, but I only recall talking about that once. I think it was just last week.

To Tiago: if you want I can give you the store information and contact. It's in Amarante (near Porto).
If you already know what you want, it might be worth contacting them to see what price they'd be willing to make.
If you're still not sure, they can suggest you some nice gear. They're super helpful people, and very knowledgeable, too.

it was you, and yes it was recently. I feel like a lot of you, where I know a lot of music stores I will never visit or go to because of where they are in the world.
Quote by tiago_cordeiro
@Lickerman: That's kinda far for me... I'm from Lisbon. But yeah, I can call them and ask about their prices. Can you give me their info?

Sure. But it's Linkerman Or just call me Pedro.

Here's their Facebook profile, in case you want to message them: link.
If you wanna call, the number is 255 441 355.

Their website has been launched only a couple days ago and only shows what they have in stock right now (which isn't much stuff), so don't bother with it. Talking to them directly is the best option -- they can tell you how much shipping to Lisbon would cost and that way you can ask any questions you want.
^ LOL lickerman

EDIT: probably don't suggest that he call you pedro, he might end up calling you pedo

Quote by tiago_cordeiro
Well, I don't know much about single coil vs humbucker, but I think dual-humbucker is better, right?

Neither is better, they just do slightly different tones. It just depends on which you prefer.
LOL I'm sorry for calling you Lickerman. As self defense, I was drunk and high at that time.

I'm gonna message them today.

And what's the difference about the tones? I'm not yet used to those types of sounds.
generally speaking, humbucker tones are "hotter" (more output and more distortion at any given amp setting) and warmer/thicker-sounding.
The only thing complicating matters is that the vast majority of recorded distorted guitar (at least the rhythm tones, not leads) is a bridge humbucker- and both the 112 and 120 have a bridge humbucker. In other words, for the heavier stuff, both are pretty much equally good.

It really boils down to whether you prefer the extra versatility of the single coils (since you can get both humbucker and more strat-like tones), or prefer the tones of an all-humbucker guitar.
another vote for pacifica 112 got my self a 1995 model yesterday in natural traded it for a washburn mg-44 that had a floyd rose on it was a pain in the arse to setup so theres another tip avoid floyd roses to startwith but a strat trem aint bad with a good setup sorry for going off topic amp wise you want a brand (on guitar aswell) if your exited about playing a quality instrument with a good name on it your more likely to play and get better and join a band and get a record deal and loads of fans and be famous and AWESOME
Like everyone else has said find yourself something used. I would try to find a guitar in the $300 to $400 range marked down to around $150-$200. My first guitar ten years ago was a Squier strat from a starter bundle... and wow I thought I had something... until I got an Epiphone SG for $400 and it was like night and day. The Squier then felt like it was made from scrap particle board someone found on a construction site. I don't even know why they make them they're so awful.
one more vote for a pacifica, i started off with a 112J in a gorgeous natural satin finish. Nicely finished instrument, great value for money and will stick with you for a long time if you want it to. the 120H looks like a great option, especially for metal stuff.

while i think it's well worth making sure you get a reasonable guitar to begin with, i won't necessarily the same thing for the amp. if you're on a budget, i'd controversially suggest trying to find the cheapest second hand little 10w amp you can, anything to make a sound. save up for a few months, learn to play power chords, and then buy an amp which matches the music you want to play. buying an amp now is going to involve a lot of guesswork and just blindly following what other people say, once you've started playing you'll quickly start developing some preferences and they'll be even more important than advice you receive here.