Hi,

So I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have thought long and hard about what type of music I'd like to play (blues) and now I'm in the position of buying a cheap(ish) semi hollow. But I can't decide between the two guitars, I'm aware there is a £300 price difference, but do I get the cheap Epi with coil taps or do I pay a little more and go for the gretsch? Is there anyone else in the same situation? Does anyone have both, or had both and can offer some advice? Unfortunately I'm not in the position where I can try either without having to go hugely out my way so it's not as simple as play them both and see what the ear says. Please help??!! Thanks
i haven't tried either

i'd have thought the epi might be better for blues (assuming you mean british-type blues, not srv and hendrix type blues).

but i could well be wrong.
I've had the Epi at one point. Didn't much care for it, but I've wanted a Gretsch like that for years now, so I'm voting for that. Feels good and sounds good to me.
I'd go for the gretsch. The epi is okay but the gretsch (having played both and bought the gretsch) is a legitimately good guitar, and actually a little bit more versatile I'd say, even though it doesn't have coil taps.
I recently Picked up an old Epiphone Sheraton (similar to a 335, different wood for the center block), and it is Perfect for all my Blues needs (plus It does EVERYTHING sans le Br00tz. ) I play a lot of Chicago stuff and some British stuff as well and it does them all really well. Muddy waters, B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, even Cream era Clapton, White Stripesy/Black keys kind of stuff ect.

Out of those two, I'd Pick the Gretsch. It's just a nicer guitar. The filterTrons are absolutely wicked. They have a nice Single Coil quality to them which would help for the strat/tele side of things, roll the tone down and your in more traditional humbucker area. Plus it has a Bigsby.

Some things to take note of:

G5420T

The Gretsch, even though it does have the cutaway, is harder to reach the higher frets.

The Gretsch also has a floating bridge like most jazz boxes. This mean it isn't attached to the body and WILL move. If you are heavy handed Its gonna move and your tuning and intonation is in for a helluva time.

It is also a true hollow body so if you use gain generously or play at louder volumes you're gonna get feedback.
- This being said, I played in this Punk-Blues Band With my ES150 copy (Godin th Avenue, Big Jazz Guitar; single p90, no cutaways, full hollow) and it sounded Really Nice. You just gotta learn to control the feedback and how the guitar reacts with your amp.

The 335 isnt full hollow so that gets rid of most of the feedback issues, It has the double cut and a better neck joint for reaching the high notes and has the pined bridge.

the 335 has Coil Taps and Separate tone knobs.

However it isn't as versatile IMHO (even with the coil taps), and is probably lower quality. It also doesn't fill that same Niche sound as a Gretsch and is honestly just plain common.

--
B
Last edited by boblittle at Nov 9, 2014,
…now I'm in the position of buying a cheap(ish) semi hollow.

The Gresch is a hollowbody, not a semihollow. If you want a semihollow the Gretsch is a very different animal and it’s the wrong guitar for you.

The Gretsch also has a floating bridge like most jazz boxes. This mean it isn't attached to the body and WILL move.

Just put a piece of double-stick tape on the bottom.
Quote by jpnyc
..[ ]...Just put a piece of double-stick tape on the bottom.
The foam layer in the tape seems like it might affect the sound. Does it? Dunno, I'm just hazarding a guess.
Quote by Captaincranky
The foam layer in the tape seems like it might affect the sound. Does it? Dunno, I'm just hazarding a guess.

It does, at least to my ears, It also made the guitar sustain less.
Quote by Captaincranky

Plain old double stick tape is just sticky on both sides. No foam. You’re not mounting your science fair project.
I say go with the Epi. I have an Ibanez Artcore AF75 that is a full hollow body and I love it for the purpose I bought it (which is to play light jazz style of music at certain gigs). I also have an Epi Sheraton. If I was doing a blues gig I would play the Epi for two reasons: one because you are somewhat limited to the upper part of the neck but most of all because being hollow body it will feedback a lot with higher volume (as I suspect the Gretsch will).
I have the Gretsch. Great guitar. Well made. It is a hollow body so it will feed back with high gain. I used double sided tape (no foam) for the bridge and it works great. You could always have it pinned if you want.
Get the Gretsch, Epiphones are fine but you will probably want to change the pickups on that. The Gretsch has excellent pickups out of the box they have great clarity and bite .
I've had a DOT and a 335 variant. Ended up getting rid of both of them pretty quick. I've recently become quite attached to my Gretsch Pro Duo. Not quite the same, but I've been very happy with it.
Hi, thanks for all the answers here! It looks like the gretsch is getting a lot more positive comments so it looks like that's where I'm heading. Just out of interest are there any other guitars either semi hollow or hollowbody that are worth a look? The max price is really £650.

Thanks a lot!
The Sheraton has been mentioned.. Had one for years.. truly a quality instrument in my opinion... I Currently have an Epi Dot... also really a great guitar... Plays smooth, stays in tune... It's not a Gibson, but with a few changes, (Pickups and Pots) I've been able to get a lot closer to the Bluesy 335 sound...

Just my $0.02
is the Bigsby tail piece really any good for anything more than aesthetics? Its not something I've ever played with, nor do I know anyone who has one.
Quote by Big-Al1234567
is the Bigsby tail piece really any good for anything more than aesthetics? Its not something I've ever played with, nor do I know anyone who has one.

As a bridge, the Bigsby is pretty terrible. Very poor tuning stability, very limited range of movement and annoying to restring. It just looks really cool.
I like my bigsby. Its not something you are going to be able to dive bomb with though.