Is it true that your personality type determines the kind of music you like? If so, what is the kind of music that INTJs like me supposedly like?
Hmmmm.

INTJs only like Appalachian Trance Metal, Katy Perry but NOT Lady Gaga, (That's for those filthy IN "F" Js) every other Benny Goodman tune, Zep songs if they're tuned up a whole step and played 5bpm slower and Nirvana songs if they're sung by young asian children.
Quote by Alease Garnett
Is it true that your personality type determines the kind of music you like? If so, what is the kind of music that INTJs like me supposedly like?

I am an alpha personality type and I like Bieber, One Direction and Kay Perry. So yes. Its true. Personality type does determine the music you like. I am living proof.

Now. On to your second question. Regardless of personality type you should like Bieber, One Direction, and Katy Perry.

/thread
ENTJ. Everything is traditional "left brain."

No creativity/talent, just numbers and raw data up there.

But that doesn't have ANYTHING to do with what I like, only my philosophy on music making.
Every time I take the shit free version of those tests online I get INTP.

According to a quick wiki it's one of the four the most common types among musicians.

Also, I'm Einstein bitch. You jelly? Ya'll probz aint got nuthin on my Briggs celeb.
Edward Teller, Carl Sagan, and probably both Caesars. I got something.

Also I don't know anyone who claims to be INTP, so you're the first I guess.

I've taken the real one and I am a hard ENTJ; I'm as far down each of those letters as possible. I was like 99th percentile ENTJ.

Supposedly its the rarest personality type, <2% of people. A lot of "normal" people actually get put off because I can be really intense and hard to deal with.
Last edited by Jet Penguin at Nov 10, 2014,
I'm jelly your the rarest.

I kind of want to take the real one for fun but I don't want to pay for it.

As an INTP I'm skeptical of this kind of stuff. Is that statement true? I'll never know. Because I'm cheap.

Now I'm looking at personality Enneagrams. Supposedly INTPs are a 5.

I am a little spooked at how well it's describing my flaws atm.

their belief is that from the safety of their minds they will eventually figure out how to do things—and one day rejoin the world.

Key Motivations: Want to possess knowledge, to understand the environment, to have everything figured out as a way of defending the self from threats from the environment.
Yeah the Meyers Briggs has been used for so long because its a perfect mix of vague & specific, whilst maintaining scary accuracy.

I didn't have to pay for mine, wound up having to take one back when I was doing pysch stuff in "real college"

The Enneagrams are decidedly less accurate (I don't really match up with any of them, and I know it's hit-and-miss with a lot of people), but MB is spot on, I've never had anyone disagree with theirs.

Im so far in with mine that the ENTJ entry is more or less a description of my day to day thoughts.
Last edited by Jet Penguin at Nov 10, 2014,
My personality is kind of caused by the music I listen to.

I usually listen to post-rock and (x)core stuff, so my personality shows it. Recently, I've been trying to listen to pop a bit more often to take what I can from it, and as such I've been a bit edgier, mainstream, and vibrant.

I hate it.
Lucky. I should go to college so I can take the test for free. It would save money.

I'm actually finding the Enneagram more accurate than any INTP descriptions I've read. I haven't looked super hard though.

This sounds exactly like me. I feel like they quoted me if I was really self aware.

Thus, for their own security and self-esteem, Fives need to have at least one area in which they have a degree of expertise that will allow them to feel capable and connected with the world. Fives think, “I am going to find something that I can do really well, and then I will be able to meet the challenges of life. But I can’t have other things distracting me or getting in the way.” They therefore develop an intense focus on whatever they can master and feel secure about

I'm freaking out
Psh, you "normal" people and your "personalities." They WOULD freak you out. You can't just flip a switch and turn everything off?

#ThoughtsfromtheENTJmasterrace
I found it interesting that everyone who's posted a result has come under the T bracket.

Btw, I am an ENFP according to this testing method.
I'm INTP.

When I was younger I was into abstract and technical stuff, as a typical INTP would be. Lots of progressive metal, jazz, etc.

As I'm maturing I'm getting more and more into groove/fusion. Still technical and abstract but more so in a rhythmic sense. For me, I enjoy playing this type of music more as it's a lot easier to let go, take risks and connect with other musicians.
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
Every time I take the shit free version of those tests online I get INTP.

According to a quick wiki it's one of the four the most common types among musicians.

Also, I'm Einstein bitch. You jelly? Ya'll probz aint got nuthin on my Briggs celeb.

Haha, I always get INTP too. The "nerd" personality XD
I always fall down the line of INTJ/P. it's always like 1% either way but pseudoscience be pseudoscience I guess

though if it is the "nerd" personality that sounds about right. I'm usually boring the shit out of people waffling about music or cameras
Technically since you went to "real college" it was far from free just intertwined in your tuition so it would be "cheaper" just purchasing the test lol

Which makes me wonder do you guys REALLY think there's an accuracy discrepancy between the free version versus the paid version of...say the Myers Briggs personality assessments ?
Hell if I know, I was just keeping my head down and devoting all my time to guitar playing that whole year!

And yeah I technically paid for it. It cost both arms and legs.

Also Map is ENTJ. I'm not alone!
Last edited by Jet Penguin at Nov 12, 2014,
Jet could take one of the free versions and see if it scores him right.

It does seem like the $$$ version is more rigorous though. For fifty bucks it had better be.
I got ENTJ.

It was definitely less detailed than the not-free one. But the result was the same, they just didn't give a ton of raw data.
Quote by CarsonStevens
I think there's something to the idea, given how many angry teenagers listen to death metal.

Oh, jeese.
I get INTJ.

It's scarily accurate depiction, actually. At least in my case.

I still hope that people don't start identifying themselves (and others) through these kinds of test results: "I'm an INTJ so I should do INTJ things and talk INTJ stuff". Myers-Briggs type indicator has been very popular and widely acclaimed test (and for good reason, I suppose) but I know few people already that have gone a little bit over the top with these test results.

Interesting stuff, nevertheless.
Trying to classify "personality types" is a very old endeavor and one that has produced a great deal of nonsense and "woo".
Back in the Rennaissance, Europeans tended to classify folks acording to the notion of "humors", which were thought to circulate through the body. These humors affected one's personality, so one might be described as "choleric" or "melancholic" or whatever. Changes in personality were ascribed to these humors being out of balance.

We still tend to use such simplistic ideas; we just dress them up with psuedoscientific terms. There are several different "tests' which purport to determine what personality type you have.
They are all, to be charitable, unreliable.... Or to be snarky, utter nonsense.

I fear that trying to cross-check one's "type" with what kind of music you like would lead to even deeper piles of....
Besides, most folks go through life liking different things at different times. In my 68 years, I've gone from classical to folk to rock to bluegrass/roots/Americana to jazz.
So go figure.