Hi, I'm looking for a valve amp that's small enough to record in my bedroom and not bother the neighbors but also loud enough to potentially play small clubs.

Hoping to spend about $300-500 US.

Used is fine, actually preferred.

A head is preferred over a combo.

I play a lot of music, usually ranging from rock/metal to instrumental guitar stuff ala Steve Vai.

It's gotta have at least decent cleans, an fx loop and enough grit to get good metal tones without a pedal. Usable built in reverb is a plus.

I dig Devin Townsend's tone and John Petrucci's(not Mike Portnoy's) clean tone on "Images and Words", for the record.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by rickyj at Nov 10, 2014,
Quote by rickyj
Mike Portnoy's clean tone on "Images and Words"

I think I'm going to just leave this here...

But yeah, a Mesa Boogie if you could get one in your price range would be great
Quote by Powersurge213
I think I'm going to just leave this here...

But yeah, a Mesa Boogie if you could get one in your price range would be great

That's embarrassing. It was late when i posted this, clearly.

I meant Petrucci, of course.

Mesa seems to be out of my price range I'm afraid.
Don't normally recommend the XXX, but here it makes sense. Sounds like you'd want the Duel Rec sorta tone here.
Quote by Fisheth24
Don't normally recommend the XXX, but here it makes sense. Sounds like you'd want the Duel Rec sorta tone here.

how about a used 6505?

I see them recommended pretty often but i've never had the chance to try one. Are the cleans as bad as I've heard people say they are?
Quote by rickyj
how about a used 6505?

I see them recommended pretty often but i've never had the chance to try one. Are the cleans as bad as I've heard people say they are?

The cleans on them are indeed pretty bad. But the high gain tones rip. Whether it's worth recommending depends on how important clean tones are to you.